5th Tackle Options

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
Seeing as the members of this forum were able to fix the team selection issue for Barrett I thought I'd throw this one up too to see if we can sort this.

Our defence looked a lot better last night thanks to the suggestions of people here through the last week. Ditto our attack. The main issue now, apart from nearly throwing up every time DCE kicks for touch, is our 5th tackle options.

A lot of kicks went up with poor chasing on the last tackle, otherwise there were some haphazard plays where there didn't seem to be too much thought going into them. Is this a product of the new halves pairing still finding that cohesion or is there too much on DCE's shoulders?

If he is our only kicker, defences know and can sprint out at him, reducing his time which leads to less effective kicks. So who else can step in here to balance it out and take some heat off Daly..?

We did look dangerous when Walker and DCE combine running at the line. A lot of speed and acceleration there, especially when you add in Parcell...

Tongue in cheek.

more polish will help but yes we can improve so much as a team with our kicks. Reynolds is amazing to watch but it is South's and Melbourne's structures which deserve half the credit.

I think you could see one of Barretts game plans last night.

I suspect running it on the last and getting the ball out wide to Lyon and Tom who both put grubbers in was deliberate.

Its a good play when done well, it brings up the opposition winger and creates space for the ball to go, and isolates the opposition winger.

But it gives DCE another option.

API will kick and control more if he is the sole hooker this coming week like I expect.

Moving forward you would expect to see both snake and Walker kick more on the left as well.

Where Barrett and coaching can really assist our team is players being in the right position to execute the kick.

The storm and rabbits get a line drop out from the ball in the in goal with ease. But its a structure they, go to the line, isolate a player and the kicker creates a hole for the ball to go. The kick might only go a few metres.

Last few years our halves haven't gone to the line or attempted to isolate a defender when putting that ingoal kick in. They have been way too far back, kick it dead most of the time because its a 20 metre kick or the opposition just run it out.

Your right about our bombs last night too. Unstructured. Outside players didn't know it was on, were not running hard. Compare to radradra try Friday night or the sharks first try. The bomb was placed deliberately as part of a set play.

We really can improve so much on our kicks.

Great thoughts above. I'd add playing Mateo as a second five eight so a free roaming DCE can go left or right and always hit a great option

Seeing as the members of this forum were able to fix the team selection issue for Barrett I thought I'd throw this one up too to see if we can sort this.

Our defence looked a lot better last night thanks to the suggestions of people here through the last week. Ditto our attack. The main issue now, apart from nearly throwing up every time DCE kicks for touch, is our 5th tackle options.

A lot of kicks went up with poor chasing on the last tackle, otherwise there were some haphazard plays where there didn't seem to be too much thought going into them. Is this a product of the new halves pairing still finding that cohesion or is there too much on DCE's shoulders?

If he is our only kicker, defences know and can sprint out at him, reducing his time which leads to less effective kicks. So who else can step in here to balance it out and take some heat off Daly..?

We did look dangerous when Walker and DCE combine running at the line. A lot of speed and acceleration there, especially when you add in Parcell...
100% accurate mate - great points that stated improved area's but the key point that can win/lose a game is that last tackle option....often came down to field position with some kicks that both found Barba on the full & had them starting the set from their 30-40 metre line.
Good thing was the Manly defence in these situations, adding far more sting & control in the tackles.
Cronulla rarely threatened apart from some lucky bounces, or desperate last play options where a radical desperation pass found its man - & of course there plan A - kicking game on the line, that produced 4 tries last week.
The field positions were created by a Cronulla defence that seemed up VERY quickly, especially on our pet play - that blindside crash ball down the short sides coming out of the red zone with Matai/Taufua.....maybe trained for it, or 3 metres in front of the ref.

I'd like to see Parcell develop his kicking game setting DCE to kick but Parcell putting the kick in
I also would like Parcell starting every game and only getting a break from either Buhrer or Brown

I think running on the last tackle, when in the attacking 20, will become more frequent from all teams. We've already seen it a few times this year. The zero tackle from a 20m restart is a stupid rule. It was brought in to stop kickers deliberately kicking dead to nullify fullbacks with strong kick returns, but it has unfairly punished genuine try-scoring attempts that don't come off. The worst case scenario of running on the last is you turn the ball over a few metres from the opposition line. Conversely, you get the weight of a grubber wrong by an inch and you're defending a 7 tackle set 20m up field.

The field positions were created by a Cronulla defence that seemed up VERY quickly, especially on our pet play - that blindside crash ball down the short sides coming out of the red zone with Matai/Taufua.....maybe trained for it, or 3 metres in front of the ref.

They were given a LOT of leeway when clearly metres offside on half a dozen occasions ... very haphazard approach by the refs re the offside rule .... and not just last night

Tongue in cheek.

more polish will help but yes we can improve so much as a team with our kicks. Reynolds is amazing to watch but it is South's and Melbourne's structures which deserve half the credit.

I think you could see one of Barretts game plans last night.

I suspect running it on the last and getting the ball out wide to Lyon and Tom who both put grubbers in was deliberate.

Its a good play when done well, it brings up the opposition winger and creates space for the ball to go, and isolates the opposition winger.

But it gives DCE another option.

API will kick and control more if he is the sole hooker this coming week like I expect.

Moving forward you would expect to see both snake and Walker kick more on the left as well.

Where Barrett and coaching can really assist our team is players being in the right position to execute the kick.

The storm and rabbits get a line drop out from the ball in the in goal with ease. But its a structure they, go to the line, isolate a player and the kicker creates a hole for the ball to go. The kick might only go a few metres.

Last few years our halves haven't gone to the line or attempted to isolate a defender when putting that ingoal kick in. They have been way too far back, kick it dead most of the time because its a 20 metre kick or the opposition just run it out.

Your right about our bombs last night too. Unstructured. Outside players didn't know it was on, were not running hard. Compare to radradra try Friday night or the sharks first try. The bomb was placed deliberately as part of a set play.

We really can improve so much on our kicks.

I'm assuming " Api the sole hooker" is tongue in cheek, if not you need to schedule a visit to the head doctor as based on last night Parcell will have cemented his position in as the full time hooker for the rest of the year.

I do realise Api has had a very tough last 6 months, so this isn't knocking him too much but it's plainly obvious Matty is STREETS ahead.

I'm assuming " Api the sole hooker" is tongue in cheek, if not you need to schedule a visit to the head doctor as based on last night Parcell will have cemented his position in as the full time hooker for the rest of the year.

I do realise Api has had a very tough last 6 months, so this isn't knocking him too much but it's plainly obvious Matty is STREETS ahead.
Well Mark there is a stretch of a lot of footy in a short time so some rotating will need to occur. Last thing we'd want is to get some momentum and then lose it through injuries.

If TB is a 'new age' coach as we all hope, then he should be working on exploiting opportunities from the scrum, when the defensive fullback is up in the line. I was fearful Cronulla would kick from the scrum base and their backs have a lot more pace than ours to chase.
I can't understand why teams don't use this tactic at least once a match. It is the easiest way to score a try. Even if it doesn't work you should gain 40-50 metres from the kick, with the defensive backline having to turn and chase.
With Tom Turbo and Walker we have some pace, but unfortunately nothing like some other teams.

DCE's kicking options need to improve. On a number of occasions last night he kicked the ball with Manly players in front of him (i.e., offside) and they could not get involved in the play. This allowed easy catches and metres from Barber. DCE needs to get into a better position before kicking it.

DCE's kicking options need to improve. On a number of occasions last night he kicked the ball with Manly players in front of him (i.e., offside) and they could not get involved in the play. This allowed easy catches and metres from Barber. DCE needs to get into a better position before kicking it.
Agree wholeheartedly with the observation, not the solution.

It's not up to DCE to think for the other players. They should be behind him when he's kicking. It's not his job to be in front of them.

Agree wholeheartedly with the observation, not the solution.

It's not up to DCE to think for the other players. They should be behind him when he's kicking. It's not his job to be in front of them.
This seems pretty much the answer along with kicking on the back of a quicker play on that previous tackle....seemed at times a bit flat leading to some of these players getting more of a head start.

Still better than when the Sharks kicked into Ennis' back

Just as long as Walker doesn't try to put up bombs.
After watching him warm-up at Leichhardt and then try some during that game I'm glad someone told him to forget about it.

If Barrett drops Parcell for Koroisau this week because of the 5 day turn around.....he has rocks in his head, seriously.

I can't see it happening.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8