$42.7M Red Alert

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyArmy

Bencher
Caw-2zpUcAAbvqN.jpg

DT reporting tomorrow about the $42.7M hole in the 16 clubs.

Will post article once it becomes online.

Damn those Penn's, I think they only got involved in the club so they could make losses and save tax. That way they get to throw in $1 million (A guess by the way) and get $300k in tax back. They don't care about the $1 million they only have eyes for the $300k in tax.
Disagree! They actually just want to loose millions of money and move the club to central coast. Then there job is done

Damn those Penn's, I think they only got involved in the club so they could make losses and save tax. That way they get to throw in $1 million (A guess by the way) and get $300k in tax back. They don't care about the $1 million they only have eyes for the $300k in tax.
They got the leagues Club land at mates rates - so they are far ahead in cash terms:gbp:

Plus the article omits the small matter of financial input of all the Clubs' sponsors :rolleyes:

Possible cap to be introduced for all non-player expenses to kerb these losses. I wonder how stingent they will be with this new cap as they sure have enough freedom in the current player salary cap atm

Damn that council charging 400K for hiring fees thus meaning a $2.9M loss for the club. Without those evil cash grabbers we would be up with South Sydney.

Perry made profit, Kelly losing 2.9M. Who is better?

A: Kelly, once you factor in the food bill for the "workers"

• Clever
Reactions: Rex
It's rather misleading in that the NRL is worth a billion but only because of the product provided by the clubs.

That is the basis on which the NRL already funds the salary cap component of club expenditure, and they would probably fund the other costs if certain clubs were not patently deficient in their administrative capabilities.

Lol Perry made a one year 10K profit or something on the back of what was one of the most dominant runs of the modern era. Bravo!
Well what was last year on the back of? 10 consecuive finals? They had total control of operations and the board, so they should have done better by your logic because we had sucess over a longer period.
That aside im happy for the Sea Eagles not to make money, a loss of only 1 million is a great result imo.

$42 million in the red means nothing. The game makes A billion in tv rights alone. Individual clubs are not profit centers. Revenue made by clubs offsets the losses a bit, but that's all. Most clubs will always be in the red or maybe break even. The nrl /arl or whatever the overarching body is will always have to distribute funds to ensure we have clubs and a product. The story is a yawn.

The real story is which of these clubs is not maximizing their spend and assets due to poor management. I'd say tigers (balmain), Newcastle, parra.

Well what was last year on the back of? 10 consecuive finals? They had total control of operations and the board, so they should have done better by your logic because we had sucess over a longer period.
That aside im happy for the Sea Eagles not to make money, a loss of only 1 million is a great result imo.
Poor start, then bad weather and a **** team.

All things considered, the NRL will be tipping in more cash because of the new TV deal, and beyond that, like you say, ~1M loss seems to be OK. It's interesting that the Cowboys lost money too, being a solid one team town, etc, I'd expect more.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6