3rd Party Agreements

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagleheart

Bencher
How the rich clubs are sidestepping the salary cap

SMH March 20, 2014
Roy Masters

Coaches fear the much touted "level" NRL playing field is tilting towards a handful of rich clubs, via a proliferation of Third Party Agreements (TPAs) which allow uncapped payments to players outside the official salary ceiling.

Cronulla's Andrew Fifita has been signed by Canterbury for $850,000, with the prevailing belief half this amount will be registered in the club's salary cap of $6.3m, with the other half legitimately recorded as a payment by non-club sponsors.

It means the Bulldogs can sign two front rows of talent, with only one effectively being counted in the cap.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/roy-masters-how-the-rich-clubs-are-sidestepping-the-salary-cap-20140321-hvksf.html#ixzz2wYiXL9Wf

RE: How the rich clubs are sidestepping the salary cap

Pretty sure that there is a limit of how much the total Third Party amount is :cool: Its definitely not per Player.

Wonder if today's Boyd situation will have Players worried about these Third Party Deals, as they are by definition outside of the Club's control.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sports/sport-confidential-knights-star-darius-boyd-is-owed-around-200000-in-thirdparty-agreements/story-e6frf56c-1226860614434
Sport Confidential: Knights star Darius Boyd is owed around $200,000 in third-party agreements

If you are going to have a salary cap it needs to be adhered to regardless of where the payment is coming from. If you worry about players leaving the code and a whole lot of other issues then don't have it. It shows unfortunately how the NRL is digging its own grave.

I thought they got rid of the limit on TPA at the end of last year amid the raging concern that SBW was going to rugby and RL as we know it was doomed because he had left!!

This argument is getting old. We know the cap is a restraint of trade but if it's not in place the game will kill itself off. Look at how predictable the English Premier League is.

TPA's have to be considered or we may as well throw the cap out the window and let a few clubs stack their teams with all the best players.

This may be a bit rich coming from Manly supporters given the events of the 70's but honestly, that's a totally different era.

We're in serious danger of killing off our own game.

The bonko's getting the first 10 Friday night games in a row is a restraint of trade. There is no level playing field in this dodgy ass competition. How much money must they secure from sponsors with that leg up. Hope we keep Hiku n DCE.

My disillusionment with this game is ever growing, I will never NOT be a Manly supporter but if this ****e continues (and the other ****e with the Pinkies) the No Real Leadership team is going to lose a few fans, and I may well be one of them!!

In my opinion we need a salary cap but it should be a even playing field. No crazy third party arrangements that suit rich, well backed clubs and no discounts for juniors etc. Everyone should be on the same level.

Cliffy said:
The bonko's getting the first 10 Friday night games in a row is a restraint of trade. There is no level playing field in this dodgy ass competition. How much money must they secure from sponsors with that leg up. Hope we keep Hiku n DCE.

This is where the 3rd party deals are a distinct advantage.
Knowing that the Broncs get free to air coverage every week is a huge leg up, not to mention their supporter base is SE Qld.
Until every team gets an almost even share of TV coverage - Friday, Sunday, Footy Show etc then the 3rd party deals need to have a bearing on the salary cap - maybe some kind of weighting system ?

Aren't there marketing gurus that work out this kind of stuff?

Take DCE as an example, it doesn't really matter what we can offer if there is a Boss Hog sucking on cigars in Brisbane that needs a good ol' Qld boy to turn up at luncheons.

simon64 said:
This argument is getting old. We know the cap is a restraint of trade but if it's not in place the game will kill itself off. Look at how predictable the English Premier League is.

TPA's have to be considered or we may as well throw the cap out the window and let a few clubs stack their teams with all the best players.

This may be a bit rich coming from Manly supporters given the events of the 70's but honestly, that's a totally different era.

Mate, that was 40 years ago now. Why do we still cop it? You don't hear people still hammering Wests for being the big spending, poachers of the 50's do you?

Effectively there is no salary cap then if the Third Party Agreements allow uncapped payments to players outside the official salary ceiling

The third party agreements must have a cop otherwise they might as well scrap to salary cap and just let the rich clubs have all of the players.

So Fiffita is sponsored by the 20 Queen of the Niles in Canterbury Leagues club

We should break away and start up another competition. If other clubs joined us, it could become one super league! lol

C'MON, VENT YOUR RAGE!! WHO'S WITH ME??!!!

Oh wait.............Nah, doesn't matter.

Rage ray ray ray ray RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAge.

Shhhh If the Broncos ever heard about 3rd party agreements.

Could be wrong but I thought another part of the TPAs is that it can't be dependent on being at any particular club. (Which of course is just a legal fiction because that is usually the whole point.)

No idea mate. I just thought that being a one team city would give access to more companies.

Having worked for the Bronco's (on a professional basis), I can tell you every Queensland company wants a part of the action.

You can't drive around this joint without seeing a bunch of Bronco's dressed in their kit on some sign promoting something.

If TPA were unlimited Brisbane would simply buy the Queensland SOO side, plus another 17 of the best just in case and win every GF ever held.

The money they make (well published) is huge, they money they have access to is.....massive!!

Moops said:
simon64 said:

Mate, that was 40 years ago now. Why do we still cop it? You don't hear people still hammering Wests for being the big spending, poachers of the 50's do you?

My point exactly Moops. The strength of leagues clubs and geography will mean the playing field will never be level.

At least with the salary cap, 13 of the clubs won't be making up the numbers year in year out.

Former Manly premiership winner Will Hopoate returns to Brookvale for the first time since the 2011 title win after two years away from the NRL.

Toovey was benevolent in his views on former NSW representative Hopoate.

"That's what we are here at Manly to do, particularly the junior league here, we have developed a lot of great players who have gone on to do great things and he is one of those players," Toovey said.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/roosters-loss-an-eels-blemish-toovey-20140322-359o8.html

Idea: Maybe the NRL could contract key players.

The NRL have buckets of $ from the TV rights. Old saying - you should invest in your business. The players are the assets.

Outside of the normal club-player contact negotiation:

On an annual basis, based on a set criteria, create a special contract with the NRL for the top, say 26 players with the NRL. Pay these players a "premium" (top-up) on a sliding scale based on international, state of origin, importance to game, add as you like. NRL becomes the Third Party Agreement. Give them circa $200K. Slight reduction to cap to clubs.

1. These "special" league players will feel special to the league, can continue playing the best game in the world, and probably won't be so keen to look at other codes because of this top-up money.

2. Importance to game - the supporters: I still remember Fulton leaving us, Beaver one more year?. The Johns brothers should have been kept together. Players can stay where their heart is and still buy a nice house for the family.

3. Players will be aspiring to be in this group. If the 27th player is upset, try again next year.

I believe this could work but only with all the Teams involved. We can't have a situation again like we had with the new rules where a couple of officials and a survey of thousands of fans decide (were you called?).

Rugby League is spending too much time fighting itself as the enemy is jumping over the fence. Look at AFL in NSW country.

And it helps us keep DCE;)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4