36m on a grandstand at the end of the ground...why?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lillchip

Reserve Grader
Why would you build the new prize stand at the end of the ground where it's the worst view of the game?

Can anyone explain why we wouldn't replace the hopelessly archaic Jane Try Stand?

Some people are just hard to please
No Ben lillchip makes a good point - why would a glittering stand be erected at the wrong end of the ground to best watch rugby league, behind the posts and in this way attract new members? The Jane Try should either be upgraded OR this new stand should be built on the hill. i.e. alongside the pitch. It's not that hard to figure.

Its a Centre Of Excellence with a grandstand out the front isn't it???.

I believe that is it, no corporate boxes, just a grandstand.

SMH has this render which runs along the hill and extends off the existing stands. I assume in front they will maintain the grass as a seating area. That photo is from an article a week ago (https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/br...overnment-funding-pledge-20190208-p50wma.html).

I note in this thread it's propsed on the northern end: https://silvertails.net/threads/brookvale-upgrade-version-57.55822/

BrookvaleUpgrade.jpg

Last edited:
Its a Centre Of Excellence with a grandstand out the front isn't it???.

I believe that is it, no corporate boxes, just a grandstand.

I believe the funding is first and foremost focused around the establishment of the Centre of Excellence. The addition of further grandstand seating is complimentary to the COE rather than the primary goal of the funding.

Why would you build the new prize stand at the end of the ground where it's the worst view of the game?

Can anyone explain why we wouldn't replace the hopelessly archaic Jane Try Stand?

I can explain it for you in one word, stupidity.
It will end up looking like that mish mash ground WIN Stadium down at the Gong, when they moved that mother of a grandstand from the Aquatic Centre down there when the Olympics finished in 2000, hardly anybody sits there even when the ground is packed, can't blame them though, why anybody would want to sit behind the goal posts is beyond me, but some still do.

The COE is what is being funded and built.

Every 'artist impression' is just that.

Wait for an approved Development Application by the Northern Beaches Council before worrying about seating for Fans. They are not part of the COE funding in any case @:cool:

I can explain it for you in one word, stupidity.
It will end up looking like that mish mash ground WIN Stadium down at the Gong, when they moved that mother of a grandstand from the Aquatic Centre down there when the Olympics finished in 2000, hardly anybody sits there even when the ground is packed, can't blame them though, why anybody would want to sit behind the goal posts is beyond me, but some still do.

The hill behind the goals always pulls a crowd when its a packed sat/sun arvo game. Some of those people will cram onto the hill making the hill a rather impressive site. The rest would sit in the stands as long as the price is justified.

People like my old man would rather sit in the grandstand behind the goals, than stand on the hill.

Also in the middle of winter, or when it rains, it makes the game more accessible to people who arnt willing to stand in the rain. Young familes are a good example, many people wont take young kids in the rain or very cold. A roof improves their attendance.

In all reality, where else but the northern end of the ground would they be able to put a CoE at Brookvale?

There are roads directly behind the Jane Try Stand, the Fulton-Menzies Stand and the outer hill. The only place left is where the former end of the old oval is located.

It would be OK if Manly played somewhere like Rat Park where there is actually room to expand. But Brookie is in the middle of suburban streets with very little room to move.

Whats wrong with sitting behind the goalposts? Its a great spot for kids because they are up close to the tries and can try and catch the goals. Also a great spot for watching certain lines being run and its the best place to get an idea of defensive patterns.

Whats wrong with sitting behind the goalposts? Its a great spot for kids because they are up close to the tries and can try and catch the goals. Also a great spot for watching certain lines being run and its the best place to get an idea of defensive patterns.
Each to his own, I just find it hard to follow the action

SMH has this render which runs along the hill and extends off the existing stands. I assume in front they will maintain the grass as a seating area. That photo is from an article a week ago (https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/br...overnment-funding-pledge-20190208-p50wma.html).

I note in this thread it's propsed on the northern end: https://silvertails.net/threads/brookvale-upgrade-version-57.55822/

View attachment 10682
If the COE is at the northern end then Beacon Hill has become Beacon Flats

Also that looks like one of those shoddy grounds from like a 2 round FA Cup game where a big dog team is playing out in the sticks against a bunch of tradies...

I note in this thread it's proposed on the northern end: https://silvertails.net/threads/brookvale-upgrade-version-57.55822/

View attachment 10682
That is an old render from a study Warringah Council initiated the best part of a decade ago.

It dates from the frisbee tournament era at Council chambers and is thus about five or six firm proposals and/or Joe Kelly-like ‘pie in the sky’ dream concepts ago.

I believe the funding is first and foremost focused around the establishment of the Centre of Excellence. The addition of further grandstand seating is complimentary to the COE rather than the primary goal of the funding.

And I imagine a VERY small part of the overall cost!!

View attachment 10682
Does it have seats? I can't see seats!!!!!
@;)@:rolleyes:

Oh my - sorry but I would have assumed any funding to upgrade any part of Brookvale and to get a COE would be a positive. Certainly is in my books and given I would suggest the Club knows what they are doing - better than us - whatever project they put forward for funding had a very good rationale and was the very best proposal to try and leverage the funding. Do you think Lyall thought gee - lets ask for some funding - lots of funding but then lets put our proposal in so one it gives the club the worst possible outcome for the club and the fans with the stand in the worst possible place and also lets put in a proposal for funding that gives us the worst possible chance of success? This is all about the ability to leverage the funding - I have no idea what the final plan is or what they put forward but I am sure what the club pitched to the State Government did the job because they came to the party! So how about lets be positive - get behind the club and maybe take the view that Lyall and the club just might know what they are doing - yes even better than what us mug punters think is the right solution. Now that might be an innovative concept to some on here I gather!

That is an old render from a study Warringah Council initiated the best part of a decade ago.

It dates from the frisbee tournament era at Council chambers and is thus about five or six firm proposals and/or Joe Kelly-like ‘pie in the sky’ dream concepts ago.
This is my favourite - from a time they were expecting to receive about $2bn in funding for renos...

9fffd6bd277ea06b723597aaab6c0354

Yes, those are Joe Kelly's Absurdity Towers right behind the southern end.

Did he really think anyone would believe such an absurd scheme would ever see the light of day?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4