2019 Manly Game plan - Just opinion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
We mere punters will leave it to Des - but just for opinions, how do you see the NEW style playing out.
Just a few points of difference or changes you can see or hope to see.....

Obviously scoring more points than the opposition is handy....
I reckon the emphasis on defensive attitude will be Top of the list.
In attack see Jake used a bit more as a ball playing lock.
The game plan likely to be a power style through the middle, at a higher tempo than recently to capitalize, with Tom T, DCE & Elgey playing off the back.

I reckon Des is a Manly man and the Perfect option at this time and with his later stages at the Dogs where they become quite predictable and played sideways, starting in the ruck with front rowers often playing sideways which led to the team going side to side.
Personally I feel the stigma and excitement of Des joining the Dogs was on the outer and the players themselves were looking stale as he had instantly made them competitive early on.

I think Des is crafty as they come and will have tweaked his methods relating to the squads abilities and whatever the outcome, he will maximize the best out of each individual and as a team which is as good as it gets.

I pretty much agree with you.

I reckon we will see a better defensive unit with the emphasis on a speed/power game in attack. I really can't see Perrett getting much game time and i think in 2020 we will see some bigger bodies in the back row. I reckon you are right about using Jake as a Glenn Stewart type ball playing 13 too.

The game plan likely to be a power style through the middle, at a higher tempo than recently to capitalize, with Tom T, DCE & Elgey playing off the back.
I'm hoping we see our backs playing much deeper next year, we have forwards that can provide space and open up a few gaps (when they seem motivated).
But things will surely start with defense for Des. Last year was an absolute joke defensively.

I'm hoping we see our backs playing much deeper next year, we have forwards that can provide space and open up a few gaps (when they seem motivated).
But things will surely start with defense for Des. Last year was an absolute joke defensively.

Apart from defense .. defense ... defense ... your point about the backline is the key ... last year our biggest problem was the transition from the metres gained to the backs taking advantage .... both a little depth and a switched on 5/8 will hopefully see us capitalise on the efforts of the pigs ...

We will also have a very young team (possibly the youngest again) and it's probably best to keep things fairly straightforward. Player X you stand behind and to the left/right of player Y, if he passes you the ball then run (FFS). There seemed to be too much of players looking at each other and wondering what to do next last year - thankfully Des' teams don't usually suffer this problem.

We mere punters will leave it to Des - but just for opinions, how do you see the NEW style playing out.
Just a few points of difference or changes you can see or hope to see.....

Obviously scoring more points than the opposition is handy....

I reckon Des is a Manly man and the Perfect option at this time and with his later stages at the Dogs where they become quite predictable and played sideways, starting in the ruck with front rowers often playing sideways which led to the team going side to side.
Personally I feel the stigma and excitement of Des joining the Dogs was on the outer and the players themselves were looking stale as he had instantly made them competitive early on.

I think Des is crafty as they come and will have tweaked his methods relating to the squads abilities and whatever the outcome, he will maximize the best out of each individual and as a team which is as good as it gets.
Mate in 2019 we'll actually look like a team that HAS a coach. I'm not expecting miracles but I expect a vastly different footy team to what we've been used to. Certainly need to sort out our defense on the fringes - we were abysmal in that regard particularly in our own quarter when teams were attacking. Retreating and looking like deer in headlights was an embarrassment. That and utilising our second rowers to contribute more in attack rather than running bland decoys for an inside runner. *yawn. Fun times ahead! Go Manly

I think the “ not expecting miracles “ is the most important comment so far.

Des hasn’t inherited a 5 star team ( like 2V did) , he’s inherited a 2 & 1/2 star team, and it’s going to take time.

Our backline , bar Tom/ Cherry is the weakest in the Comp.

If Des can improve our defence , and get them playing for 80 minutes we’ll jag a few more wins , and that’s all I expect.

I’d suggest there will be a BIG cleanout at the end of 2019, and 2020 is where we’ll see a lot more improvement.

Last edited:
All good comments. Think Des will go back to basics with huge emphasis on defence. Don't drop the ball and tackle, tackle, tackle...

We will also have a very young team (possibly the youngest again) and it's probably best to keep things fairly straightforward. Player X you stand behind and to the left/right of player Y, if he passes you the ball then run (FFS). There seemed to be too much of players looking at each other and wondering what to do next last year - thankfully Des' teams don't usually suffer this problem.
Players not knowing what is happening is 95% down to the halves. You need 2 halves who talk like crazy and run straight with the ball in 2 hands. Last year we had DCE and that was it. Lachlan Croker was/is average, and Dylan Walker is not a half. Only the great ball playing outside backs in history can transition to the halves (Lockyer did it and Ponga will be able to). The rest of the halves grow up playing as halves. You can't LEARN to be a half playing in the NRL. Elgey will add so much to our team because he is a half (it's natural to him even if he isn't Thurston)...... and this is why I cannot fathom that Barrett chose Walker over Hodkinson at 6. That was some of the dumbest coaching I have ever witnessed.

Players not knowing what is happening is 95% down to the halves. You need 2 halves who talk like crazy and run straight with the ball in 2 hands. Last year we had DCE and that was it. Lachlan Croker was/is average, and Dylan Walker is not a half. Only the great ball playing outside backs in history can transition to the halves (Lockyer did it and Ponga will be able to). The rest of the halves grow up playing as halves. You can't LEARN to be a half playing in the NRL. Elgey will add so much to our team because he is a half (it's natural to him even if he isn't Thurston)...... and this is why I cannot fathom that Barrett chose Walker over Hodkinson at 6. That was some of the dumbest coaching I have ever witnessed.
I agree of most of that. But 95% down to the halves? Like you said it was Barret that put Walker there over an established play maker. Also no half will come up with plays if their back line is standing in line and flat footed.

The key is basics, Barrett failed as a coach when it came to our attack and defence . We need a safer back 3 and be able to defend bombs and score from them. Ww need to cut out the 15 lapses where we leak points and stay in games longer!

I see us 'winning ugly', simply because we don't have the backline to score many points.
It will be a boring, methodical game plan that maximises our big forwards and bulky wingers (Suli and Tafua), turning it into an eight-man power game when we have the ball, and battening down when we are defending.
I see Cherry turning the ball inside to strong running forwards, and kicking for metres and touch a lot more than running the ball. My fear is that even if he makes a break there is only one back, Turbo, capable of capitalising on it.
So, this will be a Canterbury-style season, imo, with a minimum of tries scored through our backs. When we win it will be through our forwards and our defence.
I was so disappointed with our backline last season, both in attack and defence, and we don't look as strong on paper in 2019.
Hopefully I'm wrong. I've been impressed with Funa, but that was in the Under 20s, and Anderson (in reserves). It is wishful thinking that either of them will have a stellar year in their first season of top grade. Obviously I know little of our recruited backs but, as Mark and others have said, our 2019 backline is the weakest in the comp, on paper. The options for DESpicable are limited; play to our strength which is attacking through our big forwards.

Pretty simple game plan
Power game up the middle using the edges on second phase play, quick play the ball.
If we can get our defence in the top 6, it'll go a long way to achieving our goal.

Des is a big man for stats and trying to improve each player's game by identifying and improving on their weaknesses and building their strengths.

I think it was in the Watmough podcast that Choc said Des had said to him to "reduce his dropsy to twice a game and increase his speed of his play the ball". Now that's a coach who realises that yep, he's going to drop the ball occasionally, which Choc mostly always did, but Des didn't set an unreasonable expectation for the individual and it certainly worked in Choc's play the ball speed..

Yep, Des' focus will be on defence and it always has been, which is why he liked 'Willow' so much, as he was a tackling machine, as were Gift, Ballin and Kite in the forwards with Jamie, Foran and Matai in the backs as well as Snake's cover defence.

2019 will be a 'building' year and the team will take time to settle, especially if Walker is out but, many on here have recognised Suli's inability to pass to his winger, I am sure Des hasn't missed it and will be working on it heaps at training and he'll probably call in Jamie or Matai to coach him along, particularly Matai, as Suli could become another Matai but not as agile or elusive.

We've already won the title this decade so I reckon it will be 2021 or 2022 when we win another but rest assured they will be competitive.

Definitely an increase in fitness & much improved defence, as everyone else has already mentioned.

I think Des will be getting the players to focus on these 2 basic elements before trying to develop any sort of flashy attack.

Win a couple of games through better stamina & defence & the players' confidence will build nicely up to the point where they'll be willing to take measured risks in attack, knowing their teammates are there to back them up in attack & also in defence should the attacking risk taken fail.

I think the “ not expecting miracles “ is the most important comment so far.

Des hasn’t inherited a 5 star team ( like 2V did) , he’s inherited a 2 & 1/2 star team, and it’s going to take time.

Our backline , bar Tom is the weakest in the Comp.

I’d suggest there will be a BIG cleanout at the end of 2019, and 2020 is where we’ll see a lot more improvement.

You don't rate DCE in our backline Mark?

Eh don’t over complicate the game. Smash any prick not wearing maroon and white, run hard and hold onto the ball. Simple stuff: forwards go forwards and the backs go backwards!!

You are correct .... it is a simple game ..... but some people do think that we would win if we had a plan .... personally I think apart from the usual recognition of both your and the other teams strengths and weaknesss a game plan is about #6 on the list of what is important ....

and by the way Komori .... you got the job of the backs wrong again ..... it was our job to look good, score the trys and satisfy all the adoring girls .....

Interesting that many think we need to have flashy outside backs...Matai,Wolfman,Robbo were hardly flashy,we had Snake and Lyon who were and we went ok.Improved defense,(both in the defensive line not being continually breached and winning the middle third)tougher mentally and some more creativity/aggression in the forwards are the bases to build on.DCE and Elgey making good decisions and Turbos' decision making improving will get us a long way.If Walker is unavailable it will be a bit of a blow.Dragons and Sharks don't have the flashiest backs and they go ok.The Cowboys won the GF with average outside backs and won on a platform comprised of a good forward pack and the halves making good decisions with everyone on the same page knowing what their job was and executing it well.I think we will go better than many think,but just my opinion...It may take a little time for the defense to improve,it is all well to drill players,but until the are out on the field and able to implement changes in an actual game,that is when the improvements will start to come.Matai was an unknown from the QRL,Robbo could not get a game with the Raiders and Wolfman could not get a game with the Eels reggies,they turned out ok with Des...

2019 won’t be like many have said here an easy season
If we get any higher than 10th I would call that a success
2019 will be year where the weak will be worked out and gone by season end
If walker is charged I would go with fauna and Anderson .. they cant be any worse than last year and give these young guns a taste of first grade.
I expect 2021 is where we will truly see success with 2020 a return to finals but only lasting one or 2 weeks.
We can’t expect miracles in 2019 and Des has only got what he has to work with, in Des we trust.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4