2018 - Platinum League to replace NSW Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Amalgamation of rival clubs’ juniors into zones puts league communities at risk
December 13, 2015 6:48pm
DEAN RITCHIEThe Daily Telegraph

NSWRL boss David Trodden has warned the NRL it risks tearing apart the fabric that holds rugby league together under its proposal to amalgamate rival clubs’ juniors into zones.

The NRL has been accused by club bosses of attempting to implement forced mergers that would dilute the power of Sydney clubs with plans for a revamped second-tier competition to be known as the Platinum League.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Sydney clubs will “kick and scream” to scrap a proposal for rival clubs to amalgamate their juniors into zones by 2018.

Under a leaked NRL pathways document that was presented to clubs by NRL head of strategy Shane Richardson earlier this month, a Platinum League would replace the existing NSW Cup competition and include just six teams from Sydney — three of them amalgamated.

Richardson refused to comment on Sunday but a clearly frustrated Trodden blasted the NRL’s lack of consultation, saying the proposal put well-established rugby league communities at risk.

“The fundamental basis of every rugby league club is the community is represents,” Trodden said.

“With the proposal, inevitably there will be some state league clubs that fall by the wayside.”

The competition would be broken into regions with teams being based in New England/North Coast, Hunter, Central and Far West, Canberra/South West, Illawarra/South Coast, Central Sydney, Canterbury/St George/Sutherland, Northern Beaches/Central Coast, Liverpool/Macarthur, Parramatta, Penrith, Auckland, Christchurch/Wellington and Affiliate State/Pacific Nation.

It would mean some existing NSW Cup clubs would die.

“What that risks is rugby league communities being completely disenfranchised and we don’t see anything in the proposal that addresses this serious concern,” Trodden said.

“We should have learned the lessons of Super League about what happens when rugby league communities get disenfranchised. It would be a terrible thing. By trying to reconfigure the game, we ultimately cause communities that have been involved in the game for over 100 years to no longer be part of it.

“And the NSWRL is disappointed by the limited engagement we have had in relation to the proposal.”

The proposed competition is designed to cut costs but coaches are already privately adamant they simply wouldn’t drop players back into a merged side.

Club officials claim the muscle of some powerful Sydney clubs would be eroded and that would lead to a rationalisation of suburban teams.

“Sydney clubs like the Roosters with Nick Politis (chairman) and Bulldogs with Ray Dib (chairman) have a lot of power and the NRL don’t like it,” one club CEO said.

“This is the start of the NRL trying dilute that power. The more new teams that come in, the more Sydney clubs could get out-voted. This is all about taking the power away from Sydney clubs.”

Part of the report into the Platinum League states: “From 2018, revamp the State Leagues into a Platinum League to raise the profile and standard. The Platinum League structure (will) be informed by demographic analysis that reflects the spread of the game’s participants and fans. The exact location of teams to be assessed and agreed by a committee structure representative of the State Leagues and NRL.”

Under the proposal, the Platinum League would have two conferences — northern and southern, with a playoff to be held on grand final day.

A maximum of 14 teams would be included in each conference.

“It is recommended that teams are placed in strategically important areas to broaden the game’s footprint and ensure that all participants have access to the elite pathway,” the report states.

“It is proposed that the match of the round from both conferences will be broadcast live on Nine each week — Southern Conference in NSW (including regional), and Northern Conference into Queensland (including regional). We aim to broadcast two further matches each week on subscription TV. We will look for commercial opportunities for non-broadcast matches.”
origin:video_integrator.V3bWxneTozG4k4jybNjhq1gbgZ_pNnF3

But the proposal hasn’t gone over well in NRL club land.

“It’s nonsense,” one NRL club chairman said.

“We will kick and scream. No consultation again with the clubs. Why don’t these people get everyone in a room and kick it all around. Some clubs have 100 years of history. Forced marriages just don’t work.”

Another recommendation was to restructure the National Youth Competition and have under 20s competitions in NSW and Queensland.

Panthers general manager of football Phil Gould took to Twitter over the weekend to vent his dismay.

“Biggest criticism of Richardson proposal is lack of consultation with club people who actually know this stuff,” Gould posted.

“Changing boundaries, abolishing NYC, pool teams together in new regions for a NSW state league among other things. Unless we have national reserve grade competition, current system should remain. Can’t replicate QLD system in NSW.”

Asked was Richardson “serious”, Gould replied: “I am sure he is. Sydney clubs are united in saying that the proposal makes no sense on many levels.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp... dailytelegraphnrlndm (Daily Telegraph | NRL)

Tribalism is basically dead for first grade, now they wanna displace years of tradition at grass roots level with a super league style revamp.
Seriously, when will someone with power get a clue.

How does the NRL go about pushin this through when they don't even have a CEO?

I'm excited about this "platinum" league. It would be far better than MERE silver or gold leagues! Platinum is the best metal of the lot right? Hence it follows that this league will be the best. So I support it wholeheartedly.

Poor old norths don't get a Guernsey.

Actually I'm fine with the arrangements suggested, except for parra

I'm excited about this "platinum" league. It would be far better than MERE silver or gold leagues! Platinum is the best metal of the lot right? Hence it follows that this league will be the best. So I support it wholeheartedly.

Get AC/DC to sponsor it and call it the Heavy Metal League.....:guitar:

I posted this in another thread on December 3:
-----
I don't like the idea of perpetual licenses. It's great for manly, sure, but it may hinder my plan to banish the following teams from the nrl: parra, Melbourne, souths, Brisbane, Saints, Tigers, easts, Penrith, Titans, Knights, Gold Coast, cronulla, Canberra, Canterbury, Cowboys.

My vision includes a comp which features manly, nz north island, nz South Island, central Qld, combined Brisbane with feeder teams, Perth, north Sydney, wests, north ryde, west ryde; central coast, Hunter-port Stephens, south coast, inner west Sydney, Liverpool.
---
Obviously someone is listening.

Let Parra have a team. Makes it easier for other clubs to cherry pick their best youngsters and keep the decades of misery going...

There are other precious metals out there which we can expand in to. Rhodium league, Palladium league, or Rhenium league for example

Wow, the NRL are soooo out of touch. I do not understand why each Sydney club can just do what we have done for 100 odd years and play a standard reserve grade and under 23s , have the first grade as a national competition and have the minor grades as a NSW and Queensland competition and have grand finals in each grade as the winner of each state competition on grand final day. The cost of travel is what makes the Holden cup so pricey.

It would be so nice to see the 3 games played on match days rather than separate ones as there are fans like me who enjoy watching the minor grades play.

Canterbury, St merge and Cronulla all share one amalgamated team?
Why should NZ get two teams in a NSW cup?
This move would probably benefit Manly.

Would rather see instead of raising the salary cap use the money for a reserve grade.
8 mil salary cap is plenty

You know, in a way Manly is in a pretty good position. We're the only club of any national sporting league from the NRL, AFL, Super Rugby, A-League, NBL etc that is located in the north of Sydney. Everyone else is located near the city, the south, inner west and outer west.

If they want to represent everywhere in the city then Manly is already in a plumb position.

Looking at the teams the NRL has supposedly suggested, I can't understand the fuss as Manly have already tried this model with the Sunshine Coast Eagles and it worked a treat. If I recall, we didn't have any players on 2nd tier contracts when we were affiliated with the Sunshine Coast and only about a maximum of 6 would make the trip up North each week. That left just one player while there were others on fringe contracts and played in the local league on the Northern Beaches.

So here is my summary of what they are thinking:

1) New England/North Coast - will probably draw from Newcastle and Titans (I can't see either of these being at risk, as NRL wants a team on Gold Coast and in Newcastle). They'd probably contribute 6 players each week with 5 coming from recruitment by the Platinum Club.

2) Central and Far West - this would be a boon for places like Bathurst and Dubbo and dependent on funding from TV rights, they'll probably have some funds to pick up players squeezed out by NRL Clubs. Of all the clubs, they'd probably find it the toughest in the early days, but it's obvious the NRL may be looking at an NRL team based out west.

3) Canberra/South West - logical and drawing from ACT down to Wagga to try and counteract AFL

4) Illawarra/South Coast - well it proved to not be affordable for the Steelers in the NRL before, but maybe a second tier team could be affordable. It would probably make more sense with Sutherland (Cronulla) included but maybe this is the team the NRL believes they can do without, or will likely fold in the long term. I know the Dragons have a traditional roost in the Illawarra but if you study geography, Cronulla is a 'sh_t load closer to Wollongong than Kogarah'. However, the'Gong' has traditional Dragons fans, so this is the team that doesn't make sense along with 'Canterbury/St George/Sutherland'.

5) Central Sydney - logical and if each team supplies 6 players plus some other recruitment's, I can't see either Souths or Roosters folding while ever Politis and Packer are involved.

6) Canterbury/St George/Sutherland - If I was the CEO of one of these teams, I would be worried, but more so for Cronulla, which is probably why the Daily Telegraph is up in arms. At least if you attended a game as an opposition supporter you wouldn't have to worry about being attacked by one of their supporters, as they'd be so busy fighting each other.

7) Northern Beaches/Central Coast - well we are obviously not going anywhere and are wanted by the NRL. A sensible decision and no real change and probably more one toward the Sunshine Eagles model, but a little closer to home.

8) Liverpool/Macarthur - Obviously the Tigers (at this stage) but major structural changes are required

9) Parramatta - One of only three teams to remain in name and obvious given the base

10) Penrith - One of only three teams to remain in name and obvious given the base

11) Auckland - One of only three teams to remain in name and obvious given the base

12) Christchurch/Wellington - I am happy with this as NZ need/deserve a second team at this level

13) Affiliate State/Pacific Nation - I am aware the NRL wants to try and expand the game to include other Pacific Nations, but this seems to be just plain crazy and it seems to be an after thought. I could not see this happening before 2020 and even then the team would have to be primarily based in Australia. There's minimal structures in place in any of the Pacific Nations to suggest otherwise and even Rugby Union has considered it but has baulked due to various reasons.

Can see how it potentially disadvantages many Sydney clubs, and how they would see the proposal as a threat. Not sure it does to Manly though, based on the info so far presented.

Am imagining that what's being suggested at NSW Cup level might be the blueprint of what the NRL might want to head towards at NRL level for NSW/NZ teams. Maybe they see this as the thin edge of the wedge?

If Manly stays and is expanded in junior area to include Central Coast (without the North Sydney Bears haters surviving to disrupt that), then maybe it will work positively for us, as long as there is no merger involved. To be fair, the junior areas of the different regional teams should be relatively similar in junior population numbers. And then apply a similar formula to break up the Broncos regional and junior monopoly.

There seems to be a growing power struggle between the NRL & NSWRL showing marked similarities to the Penn v FC outright war.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6