• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
** Apologies to Ryan for treading on his territory here **

Now that some of the uncertainty has been resolved regards roster for next year, what is our best 17 for next season presuming all are fit ??

1. Snake
2. Hiku
3. Killer
4. Skivvy
5. Horhay
6. Foz
7. DCE
8. BJ
9. Matty
10 Starling
11. Nami
12. T-Red
13. JB

14. Mason
15. Mateo
16. JSL
17. Horo

That bench might be a little light on for size, so I wouldn't be unhappy to see one of Horo/JSL/Mateo drop off for a bigger unit depending on who steps up and which backrower is struggling.

We have the following for forward depth to choose from

Hasson
Andrews
Vave
MCK
Sao
Turbo
Elephantman
Tetevano (TBC)
Leary
Baker

and of course Hodges is a chance of a bench spot if we decide to go that path (not something we have done for a few years now so don't know whether that will change). At least it's an option these days.

I'd happily bracket Blair with either Hiku or Horhay as I don't think we lose anything there in either case. But Horhay at his best is an asset, I think his shoulder injury really hampered him this season so hoping he can regain some of that destructive form from last year. Of course we have Morrisey waiting in the wings as well, so outside back depth not too bad. Centre is probably the only spot we are light on, there is Satini and Williame, but neither have a lot of experience and the jury still out on them. JLJ seemed an adequate short term cover for the halves this year, so we are pretty much OK for any minor interruptions. Long term injury in the backs to anyone of note would be a problem, but what team doesn't face that prospect.

Out of that list you would expect that only DCE will be an origin certainty so minimal disruption through rep season as well. All in all it looks pretty good for next year as long as we get some much needed punch up the middle. Turbo or Sao might step up in that department with any luck.

Now that a lot of the off field crap has been sorted with the Penn buyout and the Choc saga drawn to a close you'd like to think it will be happier place next season. That augurs well for a committed and focused player group one would think.

Looking forward to next year already.

Nope, I go with:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. Peta Hiku
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Brenton Lawrence
09. Matt Ballin
10. Willie Mason
11. Faleti Mateo
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Dunamis Lui
15. Jesse Sene-Lefao
16. Siosaia Vave
17. Justin Horo

Impact bench, or what

Ryan said:
Nope, I go with:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. Peta Hiku
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Brenton Lawrence
09. Matt Ballin
10. Willie Mason
11. Faleti Mateo
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Dunamis Lui
15. Jesse Sene-Lefao
16. Siosaia Vave
17. Justin Horo

Impact bench, or what
I like the look of this side I just hope Jorge get's his confidence back in the off season. Also look for Jamil to push hard for a bench spot.

@Ryan from what I've seen of Vave he is nothing earth shattering. Starling is as good and is the incumbent, should get first crack in my book. Happy for Vave to prove me wrong, but not on what I've seen to date.

You could bracket any of our back row options and I don't think we lose much whether any of them start or are benched. It's a pretty good situation. If anything we may lack a little size as our backrowers aren't behemoths, and we do need someone to fill Chocs boots in that middle third as the extra hit up merchant. That's where Lui may step up next year I hope, he is most likely out of that lot in playing style.

Jorge simply can't compete for the high ball. He will continue to be peppered in that area. I really don't see a future for him on the wing. Second row maybe?

Blair in for either Hiku or Jorge for mine.

There are some solid blokes in those two squads :D

Any chance we'll see the Wolfman in Manly colours again? He would be well down on my preference list, if I'm honest. But interested to know what you guys think?

Frank said:
Jorge simply can't compete for the high ball. He will continue to be peppered in that area. I really don't see a future for him on the wing.

Snake had the same problem early (admit-ably, very early) in his career. It's something that comes with confidence.

Let's hope he's been working on it throughout the off-season.

Reggies go something like:-

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. David Williams
03. Cheyse Blair
04. Clinton Gutherson
05. Brayden Williame
06. Jack Littlejohn
07. ??????
08. James Hasson
09. Jayden Hodges
10. Josh Starling
11. Zane Tetevano
12. Blake Leary
13. Michael Chee Kam

14. Uity Baker
15. Ligi Sao
16. Tyson Andrews
17. Jake Trbojevic

No excuses for Willow anymore

EDIT: Missed Jamil Hopoate. Maybe him at 5/8, Littlejohn in the halves

the only one i'm having serious trouble with from those two teams is Horo.

I i cant see the logic of keeping Starling in the starting side, when you have Willy. Sure Starling will be great as soon as Big Willy does his 20 mins and then 10 in the 2nd half.

Frank said:
Jorge simply can't compete for the high ball. He will continue to be peppered in that area. I really don't see a future for him on the wing. Second row maybe?

Blair in for either Hiku or Jorge for mine.

He dislocated his shoulder at the start of the year. If you've ever done that you'll now how hard it is to put your arms up in the air, especially in traffic. He was also wearing a brace to restrict his shoulder movement. Granted he isn't Roy Cazaly under the high ball at the best of times but I'm prepared to cut him some slack given the circumstances. He offers more over Blair in other areas IMO.

EagleFromMay1967 said:

I i cant see the logic of keeping Starling in the starting side, when you have Willy. Sure Starling will be great as soon as Big Willy does his 20 mins and then 10 in the 2nd half.

I think Starling starting would be better as he has a good motor on him. Once the game has settled and he comes off then Mason on to bend the line. Starling is still pretty young for a prop and last season was very error free which is useful at the start of the game. I think Starling will get better with more experience.. But each to their own

SeaEagle21 said:
EagleFromMay1967 said:

I think Starling starting would be better as he has a good motor on him. Once the game has settled and he comes off then Mason on to bend the line. Starling is still pretty young for a prop and last season was very error free which is useful at the start of the game. I think Starling will get better with more experience.. But each to their own

I like Starling, but he is a plodder in my opinion. Teams up the top end of the table tend to not have plodders - their unskilled guys are workhorses (like 180 metres a game consistently). The games moves passed the old plodder type of player in my opinion.

BUT, the last few finals game we played, Starling rode the line aggression and cranky wise. If he was willing to bring that every game, then I'd be happy as. BUT, then that means consistency is the key.

BTW all, how ****ing GOOD is it to be speaking about footy again ! So refreshing. I'm actually getting the footy itch again, I lost towards the end of this season.

robbiea said:
TBH ,
Im not 100% sure Brett will be there..
Just a hunch...

I'm sure Tom Trbojevic, Clinton Gutherson, Peta Hiku & others could fill the void. If I'm a betting man, with Lyon extending, Matai maybe also doing so soon, I think the playing group will feel a LOT more unified than they have been for some time.

As much as a pain in the arse Mason is, he's a character, and I bet the likes of bullet and others will love him, and he will kind of galvanise the forwards & team.

Imagine Mason chirping at Toovey from the sideline....LOLZ

robbiea said:
Exactly ,no one is irreplaceable.

I think he'll be here champion. I bet Peters and co. are sweet talking him as we speak :) Unless of coarse he'd like to play with his brother at Souths in a swap with Inglis??

I think him & Watmough not turning up for mad monday speaks volumes..
We will see.
I hope I'm wrong ,but happy with all 3 replacements if not.

Can I interest anyone in some DEPTH ?

Depth ?

For once, it seems like we may actually have some depth.

Chip and Chase said:
@Ryan from what I've seen of Vave he is nothing earth shattering. Starling is as good and is the incumbent, should get first crack in my book. Happy for Vave to prove me wrong, but not on what I've seen to date.

If I could learn how to search past threads I would be able to show you plenty of similar statements that were made when we signed Starling and Lawrence for that matter.

Players come to Manly and improve in leaps & bounds. Vave has been pretty handy at the gummies without being spectacular and that is with a bunch a chumps around him. Mark my words, Vave, Tetavano & Mateo will shine in the Maroon & White.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6