2014 to 2018 a decline of once great club and a story of fan disengagement

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
I remember reading a post a few weeks back about how many feel like they have lost a part of the club.

I’ll sum the feeling up with one word, ‘disengaged’.
As many of you know I have been a passionate supporter of this one great club for almost 40 years. Spent hours on planes and buses travelling to watch the Manly I love. From Elland Road Leeds to Wollongong stadium.
However today this is merely a shadow of that club.

The club hasn’t been the same since 2014 and the change of ownership. Unlike many I was excited about the Penns taking total control of the club. I met Scott in Leeds and he seems like a genuine nice bloke who has the clubs best interest at heart but to be honest since he took full control of the club in 2014 thing have gone from bad to worse. This post would be massive if I explained it all so I’ll do it with dot points.

* Geoff Toovey harshly treated and sacked after one bad season only 12 months after taking the side to the top 4.
* Club legends and premiership players ballin, Buhrer, matai, Brett Stewart (one of clubs best players in history) and local junior gutherson all forced out of the club.
* Peter Peters referring to fans who expressed the disappointment at the clubs performance as dummies who have no idea. Fantastic way for a club employee to talk about fans the club want to buy memberships.
* The new media manager in 2015 bulk blocking of long time members on social media who express the views on the clubs poor performance. Oh and Wayne I know you read this forums feel free to pick up the phone and call me and I’ll happily share my views with you and they are views shared by several other long term paying members you felt the need to block.
* The revolving door of CEO’s recruited and moved on Dave Perry, Joe Kelly, Tim Cleary and now Lyle Gorman. 4 CEO’s in 4 years nothing like a lack of stability at the top.
* The salary cap rubbish that has happened under this management and has hurt the brand of this once great club.
* An assistant coach moved on amongst claims of bullying from another football club employee.
* Then the latest rubbish around Hastings and DCE where it’s clear our coach in out of his depth and has mislead the members with what really happened in Gladstone and hung Hastings out to dry.
* On top of that throw up the rubbish the team has trotted out the last two weeks and has happened way to often under Barrett’s time as coach.

I fell in love with this club in 1980 and there’s been a lot of highs and some lows but I’ve always been proud to say I’m a manly supporter but hand on my heart I can’t say that at moment. Watching manly games is a chore I watch them but there’s no enjoyment at all. I don’t think there any coincidence that this has all happened over last 4 years. Some big things have to change or I’d be surprised if we still have a club in 4 or 5 years.

I remember reading a post a few weeks back about how many feel like they have lost a part of the club.

As many of you know I have been a passionate supporter of this one great club for almost 40 years. Spent hours on planes and buses travelling to watch the Manly I love. From Elland Road Leeds to Wollongong stadium.

The club hasn’t been the same since 2014 and the change of ownership. Unlike many I was excited about the Penns taking total control of the club. I met Scott in Leeds and he seems like a genuine nice bloke who has the clubs best interest at heart but to be honest since he took full control of the club in 2014 thing have gone from bad to worse. This post would be massive if I explained it all so I’ll do it with dot points.

* Geoff Toovey harshly treated and sacked after one bad season only 12 months after taking the side to the top 4.
* Club legends and premiership players ballin, Buhrer, matai, Brett Stewart (one of clubs best players in history) and local junior gutherson all forced out of the club.
* Peter Peters referring to fans who expressed the disappointment at the clubs performance as dummies who have no idea. Fantastic way for a club employee to talk about fans the club want to buy memberships.
* The new media manager in 2015 bulk blocking of long time members on social media who express the views on the clubs poor performance. Oh and Wayne I know you read this forums feel free to pick up the phone and call me and I’ll happily share my views with you and they are viewed by several other long term paying members you felt the need to block.
* The revolving door of CEO’s recruited and moved on Dave Perry, Joe Kelly, Tim Cleary and now Lyle Gorman. 4 CEO’s in 4 years nothing like a lack of stability at the top.
* The salary cap rubbish that has happened under this management and has hurt the brand of this once great club.
* An assistant coach moved on amongst claims of bullying from another football club employee.
* Then the latest rubbish around Hastings and DCE where it’s clear our coach in out of his depth and has mislead the members with what really happened in Gladstone and hung Hastings out to dry.
* On top of that throw up the rubbish the team has trotted out the last two weeks and has happened way to often under Barrett’s time as coach.

I fell in love with this club in 1980 and there’s been a lot of highs and some lows but I’ve always been proud to say I’m a manly supporter but hand on my heart I can’t say that at moment. Watching manly games is a chore I watch them but there’s no enjoyment at all. I don’t think there any coincidence that this has all happened over last 4 years. Some big things have to change or I’d be surprised if we still have a club in 4 or 5 years.
Spot on mate

188BD9E7-091F-414C-92AA-6BD9E3390A8F.png

I remember it like yesterday mate. This game begun our downfall!

Such a good post. I am 60 and have followed Manly for as long as I have known about Rugby League. Playing under 6's for Narrabeen. I have been a paying member for 10 years now. Unfortunately I think this is where it ends. I can cop ordinary teams doing their best, but the last 4 or 5 years of our club shooting itself in the foot has taken its toll. I live in Taree now and for the last 9 years have gone to the Brisbane game, any game at Blue Tongue and 2 or 3 Brookie games. Cannot see me going to any this year. I am too far removed to know what the problem is, just that I am tired that there is always a problem. If a life longer like me us willing to toss it in, not sure what the future of the club will be.

No one here will disagree with this post. But the million dollar question is, why?
Was it the contract problems started by Des?
Did we choose the wrong man in DCE?
Is Trent the worst coach in the history of the comp? (after Jason Taylor?)
Is there a conspiracy to kick us out?
Did Bozo have dementia and no-one recognized it?

Whether it's their own doing all not, for me the club just needs to put it all out there before it's too late. Address what ALL the problems are and start again, there is clearly too much for the players and the fans to deal with right now.

* The new media manager in 2015 bulk blocking of long time members on social media who express the views on the clubs poor performance. Oh and Wayne I know you read this forums feel free to pick up the phone and call me and I’ll happily share my views with you and they are views shared by several other long term paying members you felt the need to block.

Disengaged is right. I'm pretty numb to what is going on right now and have been that way since the 2016 pre-season. I always wanted Tooves in charge and Gutho to have a place in the team. With those two punted it felt like not much else mattered

Well said brother keep your head high we will get our club back and be proud once again.

This x 2.
I think this game is the straw that broke the camels back.
I can't watch this rabble anymore.

It's just a natural cycle that after a term of long serving players age, the next established roster takes 5 - 10 years to manifest.@:cool:

Been through a few of these since the mid 70s.:nerd:
Still have nightmares about 89:eek:

Hard to watch the constant roster changes in the meantime :tmi:

The way I feel at moment. I’ve got a free ticket to suncorp May 12 as part
Of my membership. Got a
Rare weekend off work think I might make the most of it and head to the Sunshine Coast

No, the major trigger was Glenn Stewart’s departure and that decision was made by the a Quantum clique. The Foran & DCE contract sagas were a direct consequence of the Gifty debacle.
Whilst I agree I do think punting Stewart was the right decision as he hardly set the world on fire afterward leaving. may be it was handled badly at the time

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6