2011 v 2012

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Masked Eagle

Bencher
Don't know if anyone else watched the replay of the 2011 GF on Sunday morning on Fox? But it hit me like a poke in the eyes, but IMO the biggest difference between our 2011 title winning season and ultimately our failure in 2012 wasn't with Des leaving, off field dramas, rep duties or any number of other excuses that have been trodded out. It was on the wings. Watching that replay brought home the stark reality of how important it is to have wingers who can defuse a bomb. Robbo and Hoppa were elite, probably the best combination of taking a bomb in the comp and whilst I am a huge fan of young Taufua and he has gone a long way to replacing the type of metres we used to get from young Hoppa, I think its fair to say its an area of his game which needs the most work. The difference between defusing bombs and giving the opposition tries, attacking scrums from 10m out or line drop outs is immense and greatly impacted on our title defence this year. It's what stops teams getting repeat sets and having those ridiculous 60-40 possession games which we had against us way too many times this year. Whilst you can still win those games, there is no doubt it can have an effect on your energy levels in the following weeks. Things weren't much better on the other wing either with Wolfman, Whare and Oldfield all having problems under a bomb.

Whilst this isn't an excuse for our last performance against the Storm. If we get a lot better in this area of our game in 2013 it will go a long way to helping up become premiers!

Robbo was a class act, difficult to replace overnight. I couldn't see why we let him go. He's going great in England.

DSM5 said:
Robbo was a class act, difficult to replace overnight. I couldn't see why we let him go. He's going great in England.

Salary cap, we couldn't pay Robbo what he was worth.

If Blahbah can learn to catch bombs, then I know Taufua can.

What have i been saying all year ?

"The High Ball"

Whilst i applaud the strong running, willingness, and 'try hard' of JT, i just cant see how he's gonna improve THAT much re difusing bombs. Is this an 'art form' that cant' be taught ?
Is it something that requires genuine 'quick of the mark' mobility ? and a lack of fear re being a target ?

Realistically, after his MOM performance in that Semi, we are not gonna be getting a 'new winger'. Wolfy should retire, too many injuries. That means its gonna be Ben Farrer. Whare and Oldie have moved on >?

What about that Toyota cup full back , is it Gutherson ? he could fill in while he waits for Snake to retire, (Snake had surgery on knee again recently ?)

I agree the wing area has declined with no Hoppa, Wolf & Robbo but seen bigger problem areas when comparing the 2 teams.
The major difference I noted was the ruck area. The defence did not seem to dominate this crux part of the field like previous years in defence & the attacking metres up the middle were badly lacking.
The attack went sideways where previously, the Seaeagles best performances over the past 5-6 years have been on the back of direct , aggressive footy winning quick play the balls.
Taufua will improve only imo & has often had little cover when diffusing these cross field bombs. His barnstorming runs will again terrorise the opposition next year leaving us just 1 wing to fill.
I dont rate Farrar as a winger, but see Gutherson, Piku,Gagan or another from the clouds emerging. Would love a fit Wolf to get back early & own the 2nd spot without injury. That would do me just fine.....

MK Eagle said:
The major difference I noted was the ruck area. The defence did not seem to dominate this crux part of the field like previous years in defence & the attacking metres up the middle were badly lacking.
Choc getting on, Gifty not fully fit. Need new blood in forwards.
King, Kite, Ballin, need help upfront.

MK Eagle said:
The attack went sideways where previously, the Seaeagles best performances over the past 5-6 years have been on the back of direct , aggressive footy winning quick play the balls.
Move Taufua into the forwards . . . .

MK Eagle said:
Taufua will improve only imo & has often had little cover when diffusing these cross field bombs. His barnstorming runs will again terrorise the opposition next year leaving us just 1 wing to fill.
I dont rate Farrar as a winger, but see Gutherson, Piku,Gagan or another from the clouds emerging. Would love a fit Wolf to get back early & own the 2nd spot without injury. That would do me just fine.....

Suggestion:
Gutherson, Piku, Gagan and Farrer can compete for the wing spots.
Rebuilding period. No Premiership 2013.

I hate to admit it but the storm has the high ball situation down to a T. Whenever a ball goes up wingers and slater all know straight away whos "zone" the ball is in and it is their responsibility to catch that bloody ball, while the job of the rest of the surrounding players is no block the opposition players running through, this is the area i believe we fall in is providing that block and giving our catcher the confidence to just worry about catching the ball and not the opposition running through to them.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6