2011 and 2008 grandfinals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Does anyone have these in digital form that they would be willing to share with me?
I lost my copies in the move and really want to watch them again but havent managed to locate them.

PM me please
Dan

I think it comes down to whether you prefer Ox and Bell or DCE and Foran. Those were the main backline differences. Forward pack largely the same.

In '11, I was working in Arnhem Land, NT with a Drilling mob. The old cook at camp was a Storm fan & said Manly beating Brisbane was Manly's last win, as the Storm would beat the Warriors & then Manly.
We watched the Warriors-Storm game, & when old Cookie's Storm got rolled & the Warriors went into the GF, the old chap was speechless, he had no speech.
A beautiful thing. So, I remember Manly's '11 win fondly.

Surely 08 is manly's best ever GF win. There is an argument that that team was the best ever. Seriously who beats a salary cap cheating team 40 nil!?!? No one has achieved what that team achieved and it's likely that no one ever will.

In saying that the 11 team was immense and were destined for a GF win the second they belted Melbourne in the Battle of Brookvale.

Just a question for the older guys on the forum. Whats the general consensus on the 08 team? Best Manly side ever or does the one of the 70's or 90's teams beat them?

Surely 08 is manly's best ever GF win. There is an argument that that team was the best ever. Seriously who beats a salary cap cheating team 40 nil!?!? No one has achieved what that team achieved and it's likely that no one ever will.

In saying that the 11 team was immense and were destined for a GF win the second they belted Melbourne in the Battle of Brookvale.

Just a question for the older guys on the forum. Whats the general consensus on the 08 team? Best Manly side ever or does the one of the 70's or 90's teams beat them?
Hard to compare them really different game, different positions, different tactics and different opposition.

The mid-nineties team was one of the best all round Rugby League teams you will ever see, every player bar one or two stand-in hookers was up amongst the best in the competition at the time, as a team they were incredible. That back-row, was just so skillful and so good to watch, the forwards were all monsters who churned forward, and the halves were brilliant, then you look at our outside backs and you have class across the whole field. They were so good that at one stage more than half the team were out on rep duties. State of origin had us scrambling for players as we had 7 or more participants across the comp. We should have won more than we won in that period, though I wont bring up the debate on whether we were robbed of those finals or not. It irks me that the Roosters team from that era gets mentioned more than us, they had one golden year and put it to us all year (Adrian Lam tore us up at brookie) but we were untouchable and would have stayed that way if it were not for super league)

That team just had so much class.

The 80's I only just remember the 87 Grand final and the team was gritty and skillful but not sure I would put it as good as the mid-nineties team.

The 70's was before my time but they were just tough as nails.

That brings us to the 2008 and 2011 teams.

The 2008 team was good, but not as great as the 90's team the 2008 team just refused to be beaten, we went into that game, knowing we were going to win and making sure that we did, every tackle had meaning and ever thing every player did was just perfectly put together and they played one of the most complete games of football you will ever see, ever, I dont remember a time before or a time since, that any team has ever performed that flawlessly there was just an intent about them, most of the year it was there, but nothing like that game. Purely on Grand Finals this is impossible to go by as our best ever win for purely just owning it and it had everything you could want as a fan. But the 90's team was a better team, and the grittiness of the 78 GF was amazing as well.

As for the 2011 we had to win that one, that was about sticking it to the man, Brett had been through hell and we had been screwed over for years.
What was great about that win was we had so many new amazing halves and potential mixed with senior talent, we had the potential for many more years of greatness, in hindsight other things tore us apart. This one doesnt stand out for any reason other than it was a good game, and I was there, there was some fate to it, it felt like it was our game.

I think if you were alive in '08 and say you prefer '11 you're full of ****.
Fair enough, Loobs, to look at both games objectively, you'd pick '08 every time.
But, for me, we were camped out for weeks during that '11 Final series, I had to listen to that over fed Storm Cook rubbish Manly all that time. I couldn't get too smart in case he did something to my food.
(only 5 of us)
So, for the Warriors to shut his yap that day sticks with me.

Fair enough, Loobs, to look at both games objectively, you'd pick '08 every time.
But, for me, we were camped out for weeks during that '11 Final series, I had to listen to that over fed Storm Cook rubbish Manly all that time. I couldn't get too smart in case he did something to my food.
(only 5 of us)
So, for the Warriors to shut his yap that day sticks with me.
The game in '08 was only a part of why it's so good (albeit a very large part). If 2007 didn't end the way it did, no way 2008 is as sweet. Plus that entire finals run was pure magic,never to be repeated. St George at home, the way they played against the Warriors, then the GF. But it all started at the 2007 grand final and the fire that lit.

The game in '08 was only a part of why it's so good (albeit a very large part). If 2007 didn't end the way it did, no way 2008 is as sweet. Plus that entire finals run was pure magic,never to be repeated. St George at home, the way they played against the Warriors, then the GF. But it all started at the 2007 grand final and the fire that lit.
True, I suppose it's easy to forget '07, as part of the story.
Throw in Croker's lousy shot on Brett Stewart, which still makes me wild & helped fuel the fire.
Beaver's magic moment in '08. Someone should start writing the script.
I was working for the same mob & only got to see a little of that game.
(I've watched the replay plenty of times)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4