1983 Max Krilich Tribute

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
And still hits a damn fine golf ball does Thrower. You’d think every bone in his body would be shot by now

And still hits a damn fine golf ball does Thrower. You’d think every bone in his body would be shot by now
I honestly thought every bone was shot when he was playing.
The way he got up and kept playing on sometimes was unbelievable.
And there was Price and his academy award winning swan dives compared to thrower....
An amazingly tough hombre Max.

Of all Manly's stars and great players I've been lucky to see over the years, there is something about Max that is especially endearing and admirable. He patiently plied his trade in reserve grade for several years, when he was already one of the top players in the game. When he finally got his opportunity he gratefully took it, all the way to the Australian Test captaincy. I've only ever spoken with him very briefly but my impression from everything I've seen and heard has always been of an uncomplaining and loyal type, who was incredibly tough, skilful, and resourceful as a player. One of our absolute best, in many ways!

First time I met Max was at a mates place about 10 years ago and my mate was showing Max a MW v ES match at the Sydney Sports Ground and Wombat had just taken out a kick chaser with a massive forearm. Max, straight away got onto the phone and rang Wombat and told him that's why we lost the match.
I remember when Ronny Coote broke his arm with a stiff arm on Wombats big cabbage head moving at him at full steam.
Pretty sure Max would've been happy with that.
I've got an idea it might've been Ronnys last game.

I honestly thought every bone was shot when he was playing.
The way he got up and kept playing on sometimes was unbelievable.
And there was Price and his academy award winning swan dives compared to thrower....
An amazingly tough hombre Max.

Ray Price was a freaking show pony. Most players are more happy for their team when they win, but the team winning seemed to be secondary to Price who I always had the feeling was more in it for the personal glory.

And he was a thug to boot. I'll never fully understand how John Gray got suspended in the 1978 Finals while Price got let off for his hay maker swing to Wombat....while he was on the ground. I still suspect it had a lot to do with the upcoming Kangaroo Tour and the fact that he was the first choice lock (Edit: remember that his understudy, or at least the selectors next choice - Greg Pierce, was injured and there was no guarantee he would come good during the tour, though he still got selected - as vice captain no less. In fact, he actually broke down again on tour during the match against Wales only a week before the first Ashes test. They needed to make sure that barring injury, Price was available for test selection).

Last edited:
Ray Price was a freaking show pony. Most players are more happy for their team when they win, but the team winning seemed to be secondary to Price who I always had the feeling was more in it for the personal glory.

And he was a thug to boot. I'll never fully understand how John Gray got suspended in the 1978 Finals while Price got let off for his hay maker swing to Wombat....while he was on the ground. I still suspect it had a lot to do with the upcoming Kangaroo Tour and the fact that he was the first choice lock.
He also kicked Wombat in the head in that incident, opening him up like a can of sardines.
Dog.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6