1973 Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think @jbb/james knows there are two Terry Hills - this was just a humorous remark - although somewhat tenuous as it was George Thorogood (not Gary Thoroughgood) who sang 'Bad to the Bone':)

I remember reading that circa nineties Terry Hill's father played first grade for Newtown.

Circa seventies Terry Hill attended my high school. There, he didn't play union (I assume he played league at weekends), but was the goalie for the first grade soccer team. He was also a very good basketball player & CHS cross country champion. I heard he was an excellent golfer post football.

Fairly certain Gary Thoroughdood played professional tennis on the satellite circuit

Below are the 1973 Manly first grade & reserve grade teams. Both were minor premiers & premiers. The club had amazing depth at that time - so many good players in reserve grade & reserve grade reserves. Alan Maddalena, Alan Thompson, John Bucknall, Max Krilich, Bob Moses & Graham Williams (Lancaster) were all either past or future rep players. As well, Arthur Branighan won premierships with Souths. St George had former or future rep players, Branson & Edge in reserve grade.

At that time, the 12 team NSWRLF reserve grade competition was probably a higher standard than the current NSW & QLD Cup competitions. Reserve grade players could easily transition to first grade. From memory, at least 18 players from Manly reserve grade & reserves played first grade at some time. Our reserve grade centres, Hill & Thoroughgood, were both local juniors & performed admirably whenever called up to first grade. Quality wise, maybe they could be compared to our current NRL pairing (maybe others can comment on this?)

View attachment 20159
Think that there was a reference to this reserve grade Manly win some time ago but still a good flashback again to what must have been a great day for Manly fans at the ground for two title wins . Just recall again one headline report for the reserve grade win with Alan Maddalena starring for Manly from full back , certainly had some pace and was a sprint coach for Manly in future years from memory also . Daryl Pierce was a good player too and like Igor and Thoroughgood , all converted centres to the back row . John Payne was a good forward and previously a Bear "s i st grader and Brisbane Easts i st grader before joining Manly . Think that Bucknall played S O O for N S W the following year from Manly reserve grade . Just trying to think who eventually replaced Mal Reilly during the game after he was kneed early in the groin by Cliff Watson in that torrid i st grade G F . Might have been Bucknell . Pretty handy wingers for Manly reserves too in Rod Jackson and Bill Clare ,looks like the Dragon's reserve half Brian Smith was the future N R L coach and Bruce Starkey , a future noted Dragon "s i st grade prop . Recall Terry Hill [ original ] playing a couple of i st grade games for Manly , had a good turn of speed .

Think that there was a reference to this reserve grade Manly win some time ago but still a good flashback again to what must have been a great day for Manly fans at the ground for two title wins . Just recall again one headline report for the reserve grade win with Alan Maddalena starring for Manly from full back , certainly had some pace and was a sprint coach for Manly in future years from memory also . Daryl Pierce was a good player too and like Igor and Thoroughgood , all converted centres to the back row . John Payne was a good forward and previously a Bear "s i st grader and Brisbane Easts i st grader before joining Manly . Think that Bucknall played S O O for N S W the following year from Manly reserve grade . Just trying to think who eventually replaced Mal Reilly during the game after he was kneed early in the groin by Cliff Watson in that torrid i st grade G F . Might have been Bucknell . Pretty handy wingers for Manly reserves too in Rod Jackson and Bill Clare ,looks like the Dragon's reserve half Brian Smith was the future N R L coach and Bruce Starkey , a future noted Dragon "s i st grade prop . Recall Terry Hill [ original ] playing a couple of i st grade games for Manly , had a good turn of speed .
The two blondes bill clare and Terry hill were really fast, and great backups for first grade. Often they scored in first grade when called up, and reserve grade games were very entertaining with lengthy tries from the pair. Maddalena ran the kiosk restaurant at Shelly beach for many years, hosting many sea Eagle piss-ups.

Pretty sure Darrel Pierce and I know for a fact Mick Waller and John Barber ended up at Redcliffe in the late 70's. JB also coached Redcliffe First Grade in 83.

Pretty sure Darrel Pierce and I know for a fact Mick Waller and John Barber ended up at Redcliffe in the late 70's. JB also coached Redcliffe First Grade in 83.
Not sure about Daryl Pierce [ but you would have better information then me ] but yes , definitely Mick Waller and John Barber having stints at Redcliffe after being at Manly . Sadly Mick Waller and John Barber have passed on now .

Not sure about Daryl Pierce [ but you would have better information then me ] but yes , definitely Mick Waller and John Barber having stints at Redcliffe after being at Manly . Sadly Mick Waller and John Barber have passed on now .
Yes just have a feeling Pierce went up as well. I was aware they both died - JB was certainly good with the talk. I got on great with him.... he tried to get me to Brothers in Bris for the 87 season... he said he had an agreement to coach them as they were ditching Ross Strudwick. He wanted me as a hooker and said Tony Rea can't play and Trevor Bailey is always injured. Come with me tonight and we will sign you up. Being a lock and loving being a lock I said let me ponder... suffice to say - thank god I didn't sign.... Strudwick kept his job for the 87 season lol. Rea and Bailey also were pretty decent hookers. JB certainly was a character.

Daryl Pierce in action, the NSWRL Final on Saturday, 13 Sep 75. I watched on from the Sheridan Stand, as e lost 28-13. Des O’Reilly has the flowing locks and that looks like the late Barry ‘Bunny’ Reilly, aka the Axe, in the background.
4F3FF1A5-B6BB-40E8-A97C-D99A0C0AB56D.jpeg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6