1972 Major Semi MW v ES

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
Premium Member
Just filling in time until March 2019, came across an article of the Major Semi in 1972. My first semi that I had gone to as an 11 year old.
IMG-20180916-WA0001.jpeg

Just filling in time until March 2019, came across an article of the Major Semi in 1972. My first semi that I had gone to as an 11 year old.
View attachment 9632

So.....

Does seeing the footage of it in black and white look weird to you as you saw it 'live' and in colour (I assume?)

Nice try by Bozo at about the 2:22 min mark!

Look how deep the attacking team is standing at the play the ball! As a result when the defence rushes up there are gaps opening up you can run through sideways and not just directly in front like today. Now in 2018 the game is so one-dimensional with the defence in one flat line across the field.

I know Bellamy and co try to pass sideways from the dummy half and just take the 10m, but if an attacking team stood deep again you wonder if it would make gaps just like in this 1972 game.

So.....

Does seeing the footage of it in black and white look weird to you as you saw it 'live' and in colour (I assume?)

Nice try by Bozo at about the 2:22 min mark!
I started watching footy on TV from 1966. I was only 5 and it just seemed normal at the time. The thing I miss is having progress scores of the other games during the game you watch. Back then 2nd half of the games were live on a couple of the seasons.

How about bozo sprinting 30 metres across field to target the winger, while everybody else just ambles around.

Look how deep the attacking team is standing at the play the ball! As a result when the defence rushes up there are gaps opening up you can run through sideways and not just directly in front like today. Now in 2018 the game is so one-dimensional with the defence in one flat line across the field.

I know Bellamy and co try to pass sideways from the dummy half and just take the 10m, but if an attacking team stood deep again you wonder if it would make gaps just like in this 1972 game.

I could be wrong, but wasn't it the 5m rule back then ? Teams stood deep to get the room to move, I think they changed the rule to 10m for that very reason ( to open up the the field for attack) all except for the storm of course they can stand where the feck they want. It worked for a while though until the wrestling and slowing down the play the ball.

Me too mate

Sat in the Sheridan stand in the front brow against the green wrought iron fence

I was 11 st the time and actually slept outside the ground the night before the GF

Weird thinking back how safe it felt for an 11 year old kid and HTF did we trick mum and say we were staying at a friends place overnight

It wasn’t until the ripe old age if 14 that we were allowed to sleep with mums permission and that was only because we told her we already did it in72

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4