“Penn launches stunning defence of NRL policy”

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eadie fan

Reserve Grader
This was the headline in the SMH today.

In the article, Scott Penn is quoted as saying “My personal belief is that if the police believe there is enough to charge an individual with, then something has happened. An individual has put themselves into a position...if they are charged, the game has to take a stance. I am in favour of stand downs if someone is charged...”

I have no problem with him agreeing with the idea of stand downs - that is his opinion and right.

However, essentially saying that where the is smoke, there is fire is very naive. The Brett Stewart case should have taught him that. To this day, having regard to the “evidence” tendered by the Crown, I have always wondered why the police even considered taking it to trial, let alone going on with it.

All 15 CEOs signed off on the new penalty, nothing new here
No, agreeing with the 'no fault' suspension policy doesn't imply that something must have happened if charges were laid.
This (if it was said) was far more likely a reference to Walker's case specifically, and may be based on information the club has that we are not privy to. Otherwise it makes zero sense.

“You have to work with that system [not] against it. My personal belief is that if the police believe there is enough to charge an individual with, then something has happened. An individual has put themselves into a position … if they are charged, the game has to take stance.

“I am in favour [of stand-downs] if someone is charged and it’s up to the governing body to determine at what level that charge is deemed to bring the game into disrepute. Is drink driving that charge?

“That’s what we need to discuss more broadly, but the reality is, it is a serious crime. That’s why the stand-down policy should be in place.

The important thing is to allow the individual to deal with the court process outside the club and the scrutiny of the media.”

Penn is just stating this point. I didn't read it as anything nefarious :shake:

I hope he's been misquoted there because that potentially has just sent him to the Principal's Office. What a foolish thing to say. with the De Bellin case about to be finalised. He's going to look very foolish if (and I think it will) De Bellin's case is won.

I’m definitely no Penn advocate but I agree with HM .Penn needs to be cut some slack. And who knows what info he is privy to that we aren’t.

It’s easy as an armchair fan like us to have a certain opinion when in reality the issue doesnt effect us in any way other than being disappointed we don’t have an elite player in our squad or alternatively disappointed he hasn’t been let go.

Like Bear and others I don’t agree with Scott’s comments but maybe look at it from the point of view of being a club owner in the NRL as opposed to being a fan and constantly dealing with behavioural stuff that may not be criminal but effects sponsors , on field results and the brand. If I was pouring millions into an enterprise I’d get the ****s with dealing with constant trouble from players like Carney Barber Pearce Walker etc who never learn and takes zeros off the bottom line .I can guarantee we only hear of a small portion of the stuff that happens and plenty is kept in house.

Would be pretty damn frustrating if you own the joint.Penn has been paying Walker while he baited Scott , punched the door and missed the first nine games this year. We judge Penn on the teams results and losing highly paid players for off field issues does not help one iota and his comments may very well come from these frustrations.

Under the old rule Dylan would have been given a few weeks off too by the integrity unit so Penn doesn’t win either way.Hes writing cheques for a bloke to watch from the grandstand year in year out and I’m sure he’s probably just had enough with behavioural stuff. The new law definitely won’t help him financially so it must be the fact he’s sick and tired of dealing with player stupidity .

Last edited:
Someone should’ve gaffer taped him on the drive back to Mascot. Stay in NY Scotty and just keep signing the cheques.

Beattie should do the right thing and walk now, no apology necessary...

" Beattie left NRL boss Greenberg to defend the game publicly on Friday following the decision on the Walker case. He rejected suggestions that he was ducking the fallout.

“The ARLC sets policy and it is Todd’s job as CEO to implement it,” Beattie said.

“Indeed, under the policy Todd has been given extra powers as CEO to deal with disciplinary matters.

“Now that the court in the Dylan Walker matter has reached a decision, it is a matter for Todd under our policy to determine when he returns to the game. That is why he issued the statement he did.
“However, whether the policy is working or not is a matter I am more than happy to comment on and defend.

“I know that will not be popular at times but this is about protecting the whole game and all players. If the game loses value, players will be paid less. That is how it works. It is that simple.”

Beattie has staked his reputation on the policy. The Daily Telegraph understands should it fail to hold up in court his chairmanship could come to a crashing halt.

Beattie refused to be drawn into speculation he could be forced to walk away as early as next week.

“Regardless of what happens, this is still the right thing,’’ he said. “I make no apologies for doing the right thing.”

His personal opinion is his , and strong. I have no problems with that differing to manlys immediate football needs.in fact , good on him.

At least walker knows what the big bosses position is. And it should be everyones postion really . Its mine

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2