Yet another decision to astound you

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Well because running the footy tipping comp is nothing short of a pain in the ass, next year I will be looking at usign a 3rd party service like footytips.com.au

It makes life easier for all of us and I can scrape the results and more onto this site to make things look slight bit integrated.

Essentially I am looking to make my workload for the site a lot less and that means the off season will invlolve a switch to most likely wordpress with one of their integrated forum solutions and an over all smoother site.

After years of use I have finally realised ST is just a News blog, with a forum, and therefore I need to approach it as such and start removing the bells and whistles to make it easier.

My sincere hope is that I can find a footytipping comp that uses openID that way I can convert the site to use openID and you will only need to have an account there and login.

If this ok with everyone or do you prefer having the footy tipping in house. I mean I could spend some time writing and application that scrapes the games for each round from another site which would also mean my workload is less.

it all comes down to everyone here really

It's your baby! People will be cool with whatever system is better.

Go for it! I reckon with the official site charging for posting there is a real need for this site. Go forth and prosper.

xoops and drupal are pretty good for what your looking at doing, both are modular and skinning both packages isn't to hard at all, both have very active open source community's and both are being very actively developed.

I use to do some xoops deb for a client, found it to bulky tho. I really like the concepts of drupal and their overall approach. Still I find drupsl bulks up quickly. For some reason I really like wordpress these days. I t sounds like you want to help me with site deb :)

Dan link said:
It sounds like you want to help me with site deb :)

Right at the moment I'm overcommitted as is, so till I get a couple of more employee's and get them settled in I don't really have the time.

If it's in a few months though and things have settled down for me a bit I may have some time I can donate.

It's ok mate. I dont mind doing the dev for the site, it's all pretty easy, and I still love Joomla however as a forum site it just isn't very good.

The site nowadays is essentially a blog with a forum, and I am the only one who touches the news and back-end really. So it is a bit complicated for the toehr guys. Wordpress should be much simpler.

If you have any spare PHP work going by the way, I could always do with earning a few extra dollars :)

Thanks to Oracle SQL developer transferring to new systems is a snap :)

Dan link said:
If you have any spare PHP work going by the way, I could always do with earning a few extra dollars :)

Sure things those things come up a bit and I do tend to farm them out from time to time.

Though I've had very mixed results with doing that, I outsourced a bunch of work to India last year as it looked like I could make a decent profit doing that, but I'll never do that again, talk about a nightmare.

lol I know how you feel I have sent stuff there before in my last job and we got some absolute crap back. So we never did it again, so all the PHP dev in a primarily .NET dev house fell on my shoulders :(

I guess I will need to spend the next few months writing a footy tipping plugin for wordpress and then screenscraper to grab the results and games from another site. Once that it done that is essentially the only work I need to do. The only other way I could go would be to strip all my Joomla users out, and pump them back in via the forums, then use fireboard, which is a lot like vanilla just very buggy

There are so many outsourcing to india tales.

Aussie dev jobs for aussies I say !

Hey, is this site running on Joomla, did you say?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6