Yesterday's Crowd- How it stacks up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Larissa

Bencher
Afternoon all,

Thank you to everyone who made the effort to get out to Brookie yesterday.

There was a significant improvement in the length of ticket queue's. Thanks to those who pre-purchased. It was somewhat cramped getting everyone through the gate for kick off. I think it went fairly well considering the number of people there.

Anyway, I thought you all may be interested to know how yesterday's crowd at Brookie stacked up historically.

These records are since 2003 when the joint venture ceased. Unfortunately, ee do not have access to pre-2003 records.

Drum roll...

1. Manly v Bulldogs, Round 12 2006, Crowd: 20,153
2. Manly v Eels, Round 9 2007, Crowd: 19,944
3. Manly v Rabbitohs, Round 18 2011, Crowd: 19,856

I say we aim to crack 20,000 v the Roosters in Round 22!

Go Manly!

Larissa

Good work Larissa.
Count me in to be there at the Roosters game. Was supposed to go yesterday but had something on that I could not get out of.
What is the capacity of Brooky. With it getting jammed most games, it should also put pressure on the government to fix it up.

eagleE said:
Good work Larissa.
Count me in to be there at the Roosters game. Was supposed to go yesterday but had something on that I could not get out of.
What is the capacity of Brooky. With it getting jammed most games, it should also put pressure on the government to fix it up.

I was at games at Brookie when the crowds in the 1980s were 27,000 - matches against Parramatta. Tigers games also always drew big crowds.
My memory is getting hazy but spectators may have been allowed to sit on the field; certainly that happened at North Sydney Oval.
It's hard to imagine another 7,000 people in. Yesterday on The Hill was cramped, but not as much as the two semi-finals against St George and Souths. I'm sure there was over 20,000 at these two.

The crowds for the two semi finals were:

2007 Manly v Souths, Semi Final, Crowd: 19,785 (4th since 2003)
2008 Manly v Dragons, Semi Final, Crowd: 19,227 (6th since 2003)

Yesterday we beat both those :)

Larissa
Historical crowd stats can be found at the following site.
http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/summary.html

We had numerous crowds over 20k over the decades. The main problem with comparing crowds is that prior to 2000 it appears that we used the same approach as the Roosters, Sharks and Titans are still using now, ie: count the feet of all attendees then 15 minutes before kickoff make an estimate of people still waiting to get in and then multiply by 1.8!
We seem to have used a more honest approach over the last decade.

Anyway, if we can get 17k+ to the Tigers (Gosford) and Roosters games our average will be getting up over 15k for the season which compares well to any other year.

Larissa said:
The crowds for the two semi finals were:

2007 Manly v Souths, Semi Final, Crowd: 19,785 (4th since 2003)
2008 Manly v Dragons, Semi Final, Crowd: 19,227 (6th since 2003)

Yesterday we beat both those :)
I stand corrected. I know I had to stand for both on The Hill, and yesterday you could sit reasonably comfortable, so I presumed they were bigger.
Thanks Larissa

Can't agree with that assetion Bradza. I think they have always been accurate counts. We don't resort to the tactics of the clubs you named in that regard.

awesome, wish I could get down there for a game

Bradza said:
Larissa

We had numerous crowds over 20k over the decades.

Those ave crowd figures are surprising. They are not as high as I remember (the good old days, eh grandpa!). The 1970s and 1980s seemed to have bumper crowds at Brookie.
Maybe it was because many of the biggest classes were played at the SCG as match of the day.

Phantar, I'm basing that comment on the assumption that today's crowd numbers for Brookie are accurate. The ground layout has changed over the years but not that much since the KA stand went in and the number that used to stand in that corner wouldn't be much different to the number of seats in that stand (ignoring the corp area).
I wasn't at the famous Parra match in 1986 where the 27,655 record was set but I was at the last round Canberra match in 1994 where we posted the crowd as 26,168. It's hard to see that there was an extra 6,000 at that game compared to yesterday.

My comment was tongue in cheek and I don't think we've ever been anywhere near as bad as some in this regard.

The Who - there was just a lot more variation between the big crowds and the smaller ones in the old days. These days we are a lot more consistent. That site has some great detail on the stats you can drill down into by team and year.

I was at Brookie against the Eels in 1986 or 7 (I forget which) and there were 28 k there. Notable though is noone on the hill got to sit down at all - it was squashed standing room only. There was ground over the top of a tunnel from the South-East entrance, adding an extra section to the hill. I don't think the Arthurson stand existed in those days and so there was a small hill around where the main entrance is now.

We will never get those numbers again, as general safety and OH&S won't allow it. Great days!

Bradza said:
Larissa

We had numerous crowds over 20k over the decades. The main problem with comparing crowds is that prior to 2000 it appears that we used the same approach as the Roosters, Sharks and Titans are still using now, ie: count the feet of all attendees then 15 minutes before kickoff make an estimate of people still waiting to get in and then multiply by 1.8!
We seem to have used a more honest approach over the last decade.

Anyway, if we can get 17k+ to the Tigers (Gosford) and Roosters games our average will be getting up over 15k for the season which compares well to any other year.

The crowds in the 1970's and 1980's would have actually been bigger than stated because some of the gate attendants used to let their mates in for free each game.

You used to be allowed in for free after half time. As a poor teenager I'd do this regularly, particularly at North Sydney Oval.
I always found it strange, as the second half is the most important.
Do they still do this?

Larissa said:
Afternoon all,

Thank you to everyone who made the effort to get out to Brookie yesterday.

There was a significant improvement in the length of ticket queue's. Thanks to those who pre-purchased. It was somewhat cramped getting everyone through the gate for kick off. I think it went fairly well considering the number of people there.

Anyway, I thought you all may be interested to know how yesterday's crowd at Brookie stacked up historically.

These records are since 2003 when the joint venture ceased. Unfortunately, ee do not have access to pre-2003 records.

Drum roll...

1. Manly v Bulldogs, Round 12 2006, Crowd: 20,153
2. Manly v Eels, Round 9 2007, Crowd: 19,944
3. Manly v Rabbitohs, Round 18 2011, Crowd: 19,856

I say we aim to crack 20,000 v the Roosters in Round 22!

Go Manly!

Larissa

I'll be there Larissa if you promise to do something about the Ground Announcer.

Aug 31st 1986 Manly Warringah 6 Parramatta 22 27,655

Aug 28th 1994 Manly Warringah 18 Canberra 21 26,168
Jun 4th 1995 Manly Warringah 23 Brisbane 4 25,549
May 24th 1987 Manly Warringah 48 Balmain 14 25,448
Jul 25th 1997 Manly Warringah 10 Parramatta17 22,746

Yeah I can recall standing room only in the walkways and footpaths between the bleachers and the hill. One of them may have been the parra game in the 80s, and we had my 80 something grandma with us, which was a lark. Probably not allowed to let that many in now as it would have been unsafe.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6