• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
Fluffy you may be able to answer this one. I am going camping for new years and want to put some xmas lights up around the tent and tarp etc however there will be no power. Can I use a spare car battery that I have? How can I do it?

If they run on 12 volt then yes (note you will drain the battery obviously) Otherwise its a generator.

i think from memory most fairy lights have a transformer in them to take the current from 240 to 12 volt so you would need to remove this (ie cut the wires and directly wire them to the battery). However you would get better advice from a sparky, im not all that clued up on electrical stuff

I will have a chat to my friend Mason. Though I think I can find some details for you anyway

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dc-christmas-lights.html

try that!

Ic an probably help you rig up a few when you come up over xmas

Ok I have purchased a 12v 7.2 a/h battery pack from jaycar for $20!!!

I have been getting varying information on how long that will power the lights I have in mind. They are a strand of 100 LED lights using about 7 watts.

Now the calculation I have used is V x A = W

Therefore 12V multilpied by 7.2Ah = 86.4 Wh

86.4 divided by 7 = about 12 hours

Howvere on another web page I looked at it told me only about 6 hours.

Any ideas?

i would split it in half mate say about 8 hours

Just take a few batteries is the winnder

take the lower estimate and you should be pleasantly suprised. as the battery fades so will the lights

Thats pretty good time. I mean you wont have them on all night, plus daylight saving , they should last most of the time your away. great idea aswell. We are going to have fireworks while out camping on new years but chrissy lights would top it all off.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2