Wrestlemania

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
FORMER rugby league hardmen have hit out at Melbourne's contentious wrestling tactics, with ex-champion Ray Price declaring: "What's tough about wrenching someone's shoulder - that's not tough?"

The Storm are under fire again after Parramatta prop Nathan Cayless had his arm ripped backwards - causing a torn pectoral muscle - during Sunday's match at Telstra Dome.

The incident prompted Manly players to threaten retaliation if Melbourne employ the same wrestling moves in Sunday night's grand final at Telstra Stadium.

Rugged forwards from the past claim the tackling method is making rugby league more like wrestling.

"All this wrestling crap - they should never have allowed it in the first place," Price said. "It's rugby league - not a circus.

"I bet they test out Brett Stewart's injured ankle. They'll get him low and give the ankle a twist."

Big Mark Geyer, who played in the 1990 and 1991 grand finals for Penrith, said the game was changing - for the worse.

"The whole grapple-wrestle-rip is a blight on the game," Geyer said. "All coaches have to get together at the end of the year and say: 'Right, we all get rid of our wrestling coaches.'

"It's starting to look like a game I don't recognise. It is against the spirit of the game and it's spiteful. The problem is, every coach does it."

Former Canterbury and Manly hitman David "Cement" Gillespie warned that eradicating the grapple and wrestle from rugby league could take years.

"It seems the big hits are disappearing, which is a shame," Gillespie said. "Defensive coaches are now being replaced by wrestling coaches.

"There's too much wrestle in the game. I reckon about 70 per cent of rugby league now is wrestle.

"It took five or six years for the wrestle to get into rugby league - it will take the same amount of time to get it out."

Mark Carroll, the ex-Manly grand final prop, said the Sea Eagles should retaliate if Melbourne try wrestling.

"It looks a bit ugly and I wouldn't want it done to me," Carroll said. "I don't think it's good for the game. It is amazing how many times Melbourne manage to get three in a tackle."

Two former players who are unconcerned about Melbourne's ploy are Shane Webcke and Tom Raudonikis.

"I can't believe (Storm coach) Craig Bellamy would coach something like this - I don't think he would entertain it," Webcke said.

Raudonikis added: "I'm OK with it."

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4