1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOW! Now the Roosters Are After Carney.

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Sideline Eye, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Sideline Eye

Sideline Eye Active Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 4
    WHISPERS of a Todd Carney return to the NRL in 2016 have now turned into screams with reports emerging the Roosters may be planning a sensational play for the five-eighth who they sacked just under four years ago.

Carney, who recently won a wrongful dismissal case against the Sharks, is likely to be given the green light to return to NRL if he adheres to strict behavioural guidelines.

Despite being sacked by the club in 2011 for a string of misdemeanors, the playmaker is still admired by Roosters supremo Nick Politis and has a strong relationship with coach Trent Robinson who was an assistant to Brian Smith in Carney’s Dally M-winning season in 2010.

It is believed certain Roosters officials have reached out to Carney and are reportedly planning to engage in formal talks with the 28-year-old’s Super League Club Catalans about the possibility of an early release from his three-year deal.

Robinson also has strong ties to the French-based outfit having coached there for two seasons between 2011-2012.

The Roosters premiership-winning five-eighth James Maloney is off-contract at season’s end and has attracted the interest of a number of clubs, primarily Manly.

Maloney and his management have only engaged in preliminary contract talks with the club and is seeking a long-term deal to remain at Bondi.

The Sea Eagles have also been linked with Carney as they hunt down a superstar half to build the club around following the shock departures of Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran at season’s end.

If the Roosters are to capture Carney’s signature it would be a major coup for a club who already boasts the most talented roster in the NRL.

It would also see Carney reunite with Mitchell Pearce in the halves. The talented duo not only helped take the Roosters all the way to the grand final in 2010 but also represented NSW in Origin in 2012.

In his time at the Tri-colours, Carney racked up 44 games and scored a total of 316 points.

Source RLW

I guess the Roosters, with their no cap policy in agreement with the NRL Auditor, will introduce the Three halves in a team structure or perhaps convince the NRL to let them be the only team to play with 14 men on the field!

Oh wait they already do that don't they!

2. DUFFMAN

DUFFMAN Active Member

Ratings:
    +298 / 5
    Why not buy him, handy pick up for $50,000 a season the roosters will be paying.

Don't want him at Manly but why would he sign here for $400,000 a season when he can earn $50,000 at East.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Why do they rate Bubbler over Maloney:wondering:

4. BOZO

BOZO Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,854 / 192
    I think they can fit bubbler under their salary cap easier as he would not be worth as much as Maloney

• Like Like x 1
  5. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Lets hope Maloney does a Foz and witholds his talents from the Rorters then @:cool:

6. simon64

simon64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,086 / 27
    This whole thing is bound to turn into a massive p***ing contest.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Carney is twice the player Maloney is, still hopeful that we can pick him up

• Like Like x 4
  8. Mals

Mals Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Pennant Hills
    Ratings:
    +1,480 / 35
    Carney is an absolute bottom feeder. I don't care how talented he is I never want to see him in the maroon & white.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Daddycool08

Daddycool08 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4
    This will p!ss people of if he goes to the Rooters. How could they fit him under their salary cap?

Oops sorry I forgot we were talking about the Rooters.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,776 / 258
    Everything I read ( which of course probably isn't true ) just makes me laugh these days.

Clearly the NRL is intent on the Australian version of the game adopting the English version of the game , where there's really only 4 teams that can ever win and the rest just make up the numbers.

If that's their plan then this fan, sorry or should I say customer, will be on the last boat to China pretty soon.

I'm loving the cricket at present , sorry but can't say the same thing for Rugby League

• Like Like x 2
  11. Eagles2nv

Eagles2nv New Team, New Beginnings 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,412 / 35
    Yeah the cricket has been great.

If the roosters are chasing carney, you would have to think that Maloney is on the way out.

We all know that the cap doesnt apply to them, but them signing carney on top of there already expensive roster is ridiculous.

12. Blowfly

Blowfly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 5
    It's debatable whether or not Carney & his dodgy hamstrings are better than Maloney but I'm sure sponsors would be more likely to jump onboard if we signed Maloney.

Considering we are also looking for a new major sponsor for next season & beyond then that for me is enough reason to stay away from Carney!

13. Wombat64

Wombat64 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Church Point
    Ratings:
    +1,381 / 37
    Glad you remembered your place ...... Customer NOT fan

• Like Like x 1
  14. TagMonster

TagMonster Well-Known Member

Canberra
    Ratings:
    +506 / 28
    Because he is more talented.

15. Loaded dog

Loaded dog Out on the full.

Ratings:
    +637 / 11
    Maybe we could sign Craig Field????

16. Mataiforerver

Mataiforerver Active Member

Ratings:
    +159 / 16
    sweet, we can sign maloney then! bring him to gods country

1 Stewart
    2 Gutherson
    3 Lyon
    4 Matai
    5 Hiku
    6 Maloney
    7 Elgey

backup options:
    Widdop, Rangi Chase, Nikorima, Rankin, Cornish, T.Burns

17. Top End Eagle

Top End Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +950 / 40
    Yep. Great player. Who drinks his own piss. Pissed on Dane tilse s face. Put a fire cracker down a blokes shorts. Been done dui driving unlicensed a thousand times. Oh and when he got caught after a police chase in his team mates car (said team mate had a knee brace on after reconstruction couldn't drive or run away) he jumped out and took off leaving his mate there to take the blame. Sign him up his actions never hurt anyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  18. pjayz

pjayz Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,360 / 51
    Maybe this will make you feel better Mark. You inspired me to go camping for a few days. Nice fire by the water and some cold Carlsberg in the Esky. Go Manly !!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,776 / 258
    What a great spot, just nothing better than camping!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. mjb136

mjb136 MWSE fanatic Premium Member

sydney
    Ratings:
    +1,462 / 32
    I beg to differ mate.

Camping and fishing combined is better.

• Like Like x 1