World Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Fro

First Grader
Haha who gives a ****.

Maybe now Soccer can go back to being a niche sport that nobody gives a stuff about.

FIFA is obviously about as corrupt as the IOC.

Best Laugh I have had for ages, outdone by a country the size of Tasmania who are going to use temporary stadia for this thing.

Credibility = 0

or maybe Qatars Creditability was better :)

1 vote...lol

Agree with everything you say apart from the stupid comment about nobody giving a toss.
You cannot be serious its only the worlds most popular sport by so far daylight is 2nd. The world game, its called that for a reason, more then 3 countries play football, and by football i mean what some call soccer which of course is proper football. Seriously what a stupid thing to say.

It's incredibly disapointing, I could've handled the US winning it but Qatar is a joke. There were so many holes in their bid that they shouldn't have been considered.

Earliest we can hope to get now is 2030. All we can do is prepare to host an excelent Asian Cup in 2015 & continue to grow the a-league.

Unfortunately the failure of the WC Bid is the final nail in the coffin for the NQ Fury. I feel for the fans, they deserve a team unlike those jokers on the Gold Coast.

ok Tractor.

nobody in Australia gives a toss if you'd prefer.

Apart from immigrants and soccer mums.

(and i have nothing against either demographic)

Amazing how 2 oil states sweep the rest of the field for both 2018 & 1022 world cups.

I recall an article about massive diamond rings being given to the wives of the FIFA delegate by Russia. God only knows what the delegates themselves were gifted.
And Qatar has so much money to burn that the deal was done as soon as they decided to enter the running.

This is the corrupt world we live in.

It was never an even playing field and I feel for Frank Lowy who has paid (from his own pocket) many millions of dollars towards the bid.

Soccer is not a world game.  It's treated with complete ambivalence in 3 of the world's biggest and most powerful nations, representing nearly half the world's population - India, China, USA. 

tractorboy link said:
Agree with everything you say apart from the stupid comment about nobody giving a toss.
You cannot be serious its only the worlds most popular sport by so far daylight is 2nd. The world game, its called that for a reason, more then 3 countries play football, and by football i mean what some call soccer which of course is proper football. Seriously what a stupid thing to say.

While I agree with the sentiment, in fact more people globally play and watch cricket then football. Due to India's total disregard for the game and its very small footprint in China.

When you note that in the US football ranks fairly low on the sporting tree, as in China and in India it becomes clear that the only major economies and power centers where it has a major global impact are Europe and Japan.

That said, the 4 year World Cup cycle is the biggest sporting event in the world by years and the finals are the most watched event on the planet. Over 200 countries in the world compete it it. I love League much more and am not too fussed about no finals in Australia, but the growth potential of Soccer and money in the game dwarfs any other sport significantly.

Canteen Worker link said:
That said, the 4 year World Cup cycle is the biggest sporting event in the world by years and the finals are the most watched event on the planet.
By the ignorant Third World who lack choice.  Big deal. 

Fro link said:
I'm no soccer fan Mata but It's drawing a long bow to call Europe the 3rd world.
They're the climatic third world.  Imagine having to spend 8 months of the year inside, and in complete darkness.  Even a Danny Green fight would seem entertaining in those circumstances. 

I thought Mundines fight was far more entertaining last night.

I didnt watch it but the result was amusng :)

Some Wikipedia excerpts for Benny the Tractor & anyone else who claims that Football is the correct name for Soccer.
And saying "since when is Wikipedia to be believed" doesn't count as an argument.

"The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863 and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association"."

"In many of these countries, the term "soccer" is also widely used. For example, several official publications of the English Football Association have the word "soccer" in the title."

"Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski write that soccer was the most common name for the game in Britain from the 1890s until the 1970s, and suggest that the decline of the word soccer in the UK, and the incorrect perception that it is an Americanism, were linked to awareness of the North American Soccer League in the 1970s."

"The usage of football to mean Australian rules or rugby football was already well-established when the first reports of Association football in Australia occurred, in 1880."

Arguing about the name of the game does not detract from it being one of the few global games

Yes FIFA are corrupt and inept (the same argument could be made about the NRL) however the potential for football in this nation is huge....if they could ever get it together

lsz that fact remains that it will only ever be the 4th ranked code, and that just won't change.

lsz link said:
Arguing about the name of the game does not detract from it being one of the few global games

Yes FIFA are corrupt and inept (the same argument could be made about the NRL) however the potential for football in this nation is huge....if they could ever get it together

I'm a fan of the game, a massive Bolton fan. I just hate the (generally Pommy) arrogance that there is only one game called football. I think a change in that attitude would go a long way to it becoming bigger in this country.
It's not even the original football code, Union is. Soccer has to accept this.

The whole thing of it being the most popular game in the world is irrelevant anyway. Popularity isn't generally something to be proud of. If you look at the music charts or the biggest grossing movies, it becomes evident that the majority haven't got a clue.

Qatar getting the world cup is a joke but like the NRL, FIFA is run for the TV dollar. I'm sure the live crowds will be down on what they could be elsewhere but as long as the TV ratings are high, FIFA will be happy.

I won't get involed again on thew whole stupid agruement about football( soccer) being the world game. It is, end of story. Don't see how anyone can agrue with it.
And Duff I knew that and you make a good point.
I call it football as it to me is football but it is hard living over here when there are so many footy codes that people often are not sure which one I mean.
It is also the only code out of the four where apart from the goalkeepers, frenchmen, and some fat guy from Argentina you always have to use your feet.
But I see you point

Fro link said:
ok Tractor.

nobody in Australia gives a toss if you'd prefer.

Apart from immigrants and soccer mums.

(and i have nothing against either demographic)
I hope you can see now why we didn't get the world cup.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4