Wolf's defence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Gumby

Hi all,

Has anyone else noticed that the Wolfman's defensive positioning is leaving a lot to be desired? I can handle wingers rushing in when there is an overlap but in the past month or two Wolfman has continually left his man to come infield when there is clearly no numbers advantage for the attacking side.

This has lead to multiple line breaks and tries, none clearer than last night when his opposing number had a saloon passage to the line when there was no overlap at all. And sure, it's fine giving up a try to the Tigers, but not in the big games come September.

And the irony is that he is playing outside the man who is arguably the best defensive centre in the world. It's not like Jamie needs the extra help.

Anyway, I love the Wolf, and hope he doesn't get found out come finals time.

P.S. apologies if this is a re-hash of an issue that is already discussed, as I can't spend as much time as I would like on these forums.

the only conclusion I can draw is that he has been told to defend like this, otherwise it defies belief that he can continue to be caught out like this.

Dan said:
the only conclusion I can draw is that he has been told to defend like this, otherwise it defies belief that he can continue to be caught out like this.

Coming up would definitely be part of the defensive policy, but I doubt Wolfy is doing it at the right times.

I've said in another thread he should really have one of the easiest defensive assignments in the game because he is playing outside the games best defensive centre who rarely, if ever is caught out of position. That shut down move should only happen when you are outnumbered or your inside men can't get across, Wolfman is shooting up when things were well in hand. I can only assume, he is trying to put on an inspiritional play and force a turnover with a big hit, but is really very poor at picking his opportunities. To make things worse, surely the good teams have picked up on it, and I'm sure they will be trying to exploit it come September. Will be a test of both Tooves and Wolfy if they can correct this in the coming matches.

Unless its a ploy to get teams like Souths and Melbourne looking to target that area when we play them only to discover the game plan has changed and that side is as strong as ever.

Stranger things have happened

*puts tin foil hat on

Wolfie saved two certain tries in goal last night, so his rushing up to tackle a center in the second half is forgivable :angel:
In the 28 min it was Wolfie who ran down Simona when the Tiger had a 15 m start :exclamation:
In the 47 min Wolfie's being infield resulted in his rswooping on a loose pass and setting up Killer's second :)

The kiddie just wants to help and is always mortified when he misreads the play and lets in a try :(

Taufua's lackadaisical attempts and his sauntering kick returns is what I find annoying.:dodgy:
Along with his insistence of milking penalties - last night's first half effort, gave back the possession and undid his great regather :-/

Maybe Wolfie can give some of his sense of urgency to Jorge and Manly would then have the perfect Wingers :idea:

Stevo said:
Unless its a ploy to get teams like Souths and Melbourne looking to target that area when we play them only to discover the game plan has changed and that side is as strong as ever.

*puts tin foil hat on

That is my thinking. A stroke of genius!

Its not just Wolf's positioning that is a worry - when he has to actually make a tackle he is extremely suspect. You suspect he has never really recovered from shoulder injuries/operations the way he wont extend his arms to make a tackle. Neither winger looks safe under a high ball but Jorge is much more physical in defence.

Guess we have to make the best of it though - every side has their issues and we are pretty spoilt in most other areas.

Wolfman has been playing really well in recent matches. But I do agree that he and Jorge are suspect in defence at times. Then again, what winger isn't? We score planty of tries through an opposition winger's defensive errors.
To err is human.
To continually err you need to be a referee.

Class of 95 said:
Stevo said:

*puts tin foil hat on

That is my thinking. A stroke of genius!

I believe this is whats happening, we changed from the up and in defence to the slide a few weeks ago and it worked wonders as the opposition had only prepared for the former. We have since gone back to the up after the slide success and in and the only logic in that is to keep opposition teams fooled for later on in the season.

bob dylan said:
His defence has never changed.

Its been a worry since day one.

Bob youv'e changed man, the Bob Dylan I've heard on loved a conspiricy theory. You just killed this one.
The times they are a changing.....

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7