Wingers in 2015 ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
What a luxury....scoring tries untouched at the end of the NRL's Best backline!
Fact is the wing competition , unlike fowards, only allows 2 as theres no wingers on the bench at this level.
*Hiku - Has really come good including at the highest levels - he is so versatile that wing imo is his 3rd best position, but we all know at full strength he will not oust our 3,4 or1. Hard to imagine him not getting a shot as he was signed long term last year & is a talent, imo lacks a little in genuine speed for this position but is reliable, robust, good under the high ball & a can finish well.
*Wolf - A super winger in his day & a fan favourite.
Not convinced he still has the zest & certainly needs to win back confidence, but the old saying "Never write off a champion" applies here. Doubtful will start in the 17, but can still compete if needed. The try against Souths in the 2013 finals could only be scored by a player of quality, pity most only recall the GF instead of how we got there.
*Tom Turbo - This bloke is an excitement machine & arguably the best individual attacking young talent Manly. Has super pace & anticipation, but needs to improve his defence & time should help this area.
A must consider imo, but not to be rushed, has plenty of time & a long career ahead.
*Gutho - See this rangy talent more a centre/fullback but again, our 3,4 & 1 are concrete.
Positionally almost perfect , rare for a youngster & has good speed, plus once he fills out will be a nightmare for defensive lines. Reliable under the high ball, an area we are often targeted by the opposition but again, defence needs to lift.
*Taufua - Powerful super fend & can find the line as good as any in a tight situation. Not a conventional speedster but runs over them more than around them. Defensive reads have improved & his contact outside of Matai are as good as any rushing off that wing.
Issues under the high ball due to size & cement boots but at his best a matchwinner who has claims.
There are more but these are the top 5 challengers atm, so who gets your 2 & 5??

Fact is the wing competition , unlike fowards, only allows 2 as theres no wingers on the bench at this level.
*Hiku - Has really come good including at the highest levels - he is so versatile that wing imo is his 3rd best position, but we all know at full strength he will not oust our 3,4 or1. Hard to imagine him not getting a shot as he was signed long term last year & is a talent, imo lacks a little in genuine speed for this position but is reliable, robust, good under the high ball & a can finish well.
Not convinced he still has the zest & certainly needs to win back confidence, but the old saying "Never write off a champion" applies here. Doubtful will start in the 17, but can still compete if needed. The try against Souths in the 2013 finals could only be scored by a player of quality, pity most only recall the GF instead of how we got there.
*Tom Turbo - This bloke is an excitement machine & arguably the best individual attacking young talent Manly. Has super pace & anticipation, but needs to improve his defence & time should help this area.
A must consider imo, but not to be rushed, has plenty of time & a long career ahead.
*Gutho - See this rangy talent more a centre/fullback but again, our 3,4 & 1 are concrete.
Positionally almost perfect , rare for a youngster & has good speed, plus once he fills out will be a nightmare for defensive lines. Reliable under the high ball, an area we are often targeted by the opposition but again, defence needs to lift.
*Taufua - Powerful super fend & can find the line as good as any in a tight situation. Not a conventional speedster but runs over them more than around them. Defensive reads have improved & his contact outside of Matai are as good as any rushing off that wing.
Issues under the high ball due to size & cement boots but at his best a matchwinner who has claims.
There are more but these are the top 5 challengers atm, so who gets your 2 & 5??
Maxta..........you forgot Cheyse Blair, powerful, good speed, good defense & good under the high ball!!

Here is the question re: Tafua - Is he actually terrible under the high ball, or is was it shoulder and ankle injuries that robbed of the ability to get up for them?

Here is the question re: Tafua - Is he actually terrible under the high ball, or is was it shoulder and ankle injuries that robbed of the ability to get up for them?
Shoulder . He was wearing a shoulder brace when he was playing . I think he had surgery in the off season

I have wolfy last on my list. Right now I'd say hiku gets first crack, he adds a lot of versatility as well should anyone else in the backline get hurt. Then I reckon its neck and neck with Gutho and Blair to start the season in the other wing spot. Horhay needs to prove himself again and Tom needs to fill out a little and a bit more time. I really don't want him getting broken this young facing up against a vatuvei or someone like that.

I really rate Blair I think he offers a great mix as a winger and did not much wrong last year. Him and matai combined well.

madmax - fair call mate - better make it 6 positions!!
My take on Blair you pretty much summed up & has as good a claim as any on my initial 5...

Shoulder . He was wearing a shoulder brace when he was playing . I think he had surgery in the off season
Well if it was purely injury then he should get his spot back - he is the most devastating runner in that back line when he winds up. And I think Tooves probably agrees which is why he kept trotting him out last year even though he wasn't fit. But it's going to be a wait...

Hiku has defensive problems which he really needs to work on, but he has a cool head, excellent under the high ball and a very good finisher. Toovey will have him on one wing for sure.

Blair or Gutho on the other wing. Jorge is out for a couple of months and personally I don't see him making it back in the side unless injury hits, which it probably will at some point. I think Toovey will opt for Blair to start, which is fine as I rate him; although, I would prefer Gutherson to get a crack from the start. The pressure is not as great in the early rounds and it is a perferct time to throw him in and tell him to make it his own (plus it's not like he hasn't played in the top grade before). I see Gutherson as having more skill than Blair and is a good goal kicker to boot - the more class we can have in the backline the better.

Hiku has defensive problems which he really needs to work on, but he has a cool head, excellent under the high ball and a very good finisher. Toovey will have him on one wing for sure.

Blair or Gutho on the other wing. Jorge is out for a couple of months and personally I don't see him making it back in the side unless injury hits, which it probably will at some point. I think Toovey will opt for Blair to start, which is fine as I rate him; although, I would prefer Gutherson to get a crack from the start. The pressure is not as great in the early rounds and it is a perferct time to throw him in and tell him to make it his own (plus it's not like he hasn't played in the top grade before). I see Gutherson as having more skill than Blair and is a good goal kicker to boot - the more class we can have in the backline the better.

I see a lot of people talking about development of gutho and tom which I support and agree with. But do people realise that Blair is only 23. He could easily be developed and supported as well. He's not some veteran who we've seen everything of. He got a raw deal at parra and maybe needed some maturity but from what I've seen he has the size, speed and skills to do really well.

I see a lot of people talking about development of gutho and tom which I support and agree with. But do people realise that Blair is only 23. He could easily be developed and supported as well. He's not some veteran who we've seen everything of. He got a raw deal at parra and maybe needed some maturity but from what I've seen he has the size, speed and skills to do really well.
oh and that was 23 only a month ago

With Horhay out for the start of the season I think Blair has first dibs on that wing spot. He did nothing wrong when called up last year, seems solid in the air and has the advantage of size over the rest of the contenders. I'd be locking in Hiku and Blair. I wouldn't say no to a fully firing Wolfman either.

i agree with the Blair being a tad too slow, but i think he makes up for it with his safety under the high ball, his ability to finish when near the tryline and his size

Agree wholeheartedly

I hope a sprint coach is working closely with him

I personally think he'll end up in the centres where Hiku should also be playing

However those 2 spots are currently taken,i rate Blair as a better winger but a worse Centre than his mate

Both should be used in case of injury as a stop gap measure, not full time until the 3 and 4 are vacant

Agree wholeheartedly

I hope a sprint coach is working closely with him

I personally think he'll end up in the centres where Hiku should also be playing

However those 2 spots are currently taken,i rate Blair as a better winger but a worse Centre than his mate

Both should be used in case of injury as a stop gap measure, not full time until the 3 and 4 are vacant

I hope a sprint coach is working with him too. Another yard of pace and he will be the complete winger.

Gutherson just ahead of blair i think to start.. I'd probably prefer blair just to give him a chance to show what he's got with a consistant spot rather than a fill in, but the fact gutherson can kick goals pretty well may work in his favour if he can display the right form to get in the 17 as an extra option should kiler's radar be having an off day, as well as give him some more kicking experience as i daresay he'll have the duties in years to come if he isn't poached. Wolf will have to fight his way back from NSW Cup FB i think. Spoiled for choice.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7