Wingers for Manly Dream Team???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
I was thinking of what wingers might be nominated for the poll on who would make the best-ever Sea Eagle team.

Ken Irvine and Tom Mooney immediately spring to mind, Kerry Boustead was up there as was John Ribot de Bresac (as much as I hate the guy). I would also include Ray Branighan (as he is unlikely to make the team in the centres ahead of Mike O'Connor or Bozo), Craig Hancock was a great winger (very underrated but a great finisher) and Stuey Davis had his fans. Johnny Bliss of the early era was said to be one of the best every wingers to wear the maroon and white.

I can't bring myself to add Tony Iro - none of the current wingers has done enough to deserve nomination in best every company for our great club.

Are there any other wingers to add to the nomination list????

Dale shearer is name I would maybe throw out there as well , even though he did play a lot of centre,
also Brendan Reeves, David Ronson were good finishers as well, but Me I would probley plump foe Mooney and Bowie Myself

The former Norths legend who played a couple of seasons with Manly, Ken Irvine, should be the number one winger.

Simon Booth (just to make up the numbers).

Irvine & Boustead should be the final two. Mooney was great, but not in the class of Bowie IMHO.

I have to agree that Irvine is the best winger ever in Maroon and White. Boustead is probably the other. Simon Booth would be a worthy nominee and a few of the early wingers like Bliss and Willoughby should be included.

As long as you don't have the view of many a Rugby forward that 'wingers should be shot at birth'!!!

My wingers would be:

Bliss
Willoughby
Mooney
Irvine
Rod Jackson (one of my favourites of the 70s)
Boustead
Davis
Shearer

Perosnally I don't think Boustead played his best footy at Manly, although Ribot played for Aust from Manly I hardly see him as a Manly great, Hoppa could have been on the list but for obvious reasons.

I would vote for Irvine & Mooney - Irvine is at all time great while Mooney was in the previous 'best' team and his record at Manly was outstanding.

Ribot played for manly in '82 and '83 and scored 33 tries.

Boustead played for manly in '83, '84 and '85 and scored 30 tries.

If boustead is in there so should Ribot imo

Ribot is an arsehole, he would have gladly sat and watched Manly get shafted in the war - no other Mnaly greats would have done that - in fact Boustead resigned from the Cowboys due to the war - Ribot started it. IMO as a result he is not worthy to be considered with other such great players who played in the M & W.

Somehow I didn't think personalities would be the criteria of a best manly "playing" team!.

Manly was never in doubt until Ken Arthurson became the ARL bank with Manly's Money.

Byso - deadset you would have scored 30 tries if you were the winger in 1982/83 teams. It is hardly a glowing reference of playing ability the 1983 team in particular was that dominant it was the minor premiership by somehting like 6 or 8 points.

He was a big part of Manly's success in that era.

Why is Boustead rated by yourself and not Ribot?

I liked hancock....he was very underated and was very quick off the mark and very powerful

Ribot - was a mistake prone player and a failed lock forward who reverted to the wing because he couldn't hack it in the forwards and I don't believe he ever really put his body on the line when it counted. Sure he could carry the ball across the line but that was about it.

I said earlier Boustead was all that good either when he came to Manly - he was good in 83 but poor the following year.

For me it is either Irvine, Mooney or Shearer as the wingers.

You could also add Max Brown to the list as well

My wingers would be:

Bliss
Willoughby
Mooney
Irvine
Rod Jackson (one of my favourites of the 70s)
Boustead
Davis
Shearer

Perosnally I don't think Boustead played his best footy at Manly, although Ribot played for Aust from Manly I hardly see him as a Manly great, Hoppa could have been on the list but for obvious reasons.

I would vote for Irvine & Mooney - Irvine is at all time great while Mooney was in the previous 'best' team and his record at Manly was outstanding.

Rocket Rod Jackson. For some reason i always think of Rod Jackson whenever I see the Taubman's ad on Tv where the guy goes out in his jocks to pick up the newspaper and the gay guy next door blows him a kiss. Is this why he is your favourite wheel?

Manly has always taken North's best players - Irvine, Lyons, McKinnon, Rodgers, McCabe, Orford, Doorey.

Lyon's would be in the best Manly team and maybe in due course the Ox will too.

Not sure why, I think it was because Is aw him score 4 tries in reserve grade one day (probably in 74 or 75) and followed him from there. A bit like steuy Davis he never really looked like a footballer but was a good honest trier for the club.

BTW you forgot Goldie Walker.

As for Grant Doorey I wished he had stayed at Norths

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4