1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wing to play Rugby

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Guest, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rumor has it the Craig Wing is going to Japanese Rugby next year.

2. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    shame he is still a bllody good player

3. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    That should free up some cash at Souffs.  Too bad really, I always thought he'd be good for us.  Good luck to him. 

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah he has been good this year but I suppose he wants to look after himself and his family....

5. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    has to try and make some of that money he lost in the last year or 2

6. Crusher_Cleal

Crusher_Cleal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +555 / 17
    The Roosters ruined Wing. I saw him play 5/8 at high school and I think he could have been one of the best halves League/Union has ever seen. By making him make 30+ tackles per game at hooker, the Roosters ruined all that imo. Thanks Murray/Stuart.

7. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Murray > Stuart > Taylor.  The guy really didn't stand a chance. 

8. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,521 / 50
    I'll miss the shirt-off shots of Wing. Not a bad view at all. He's getting on a bit in athlete years so he might as well take the best money offer he can get.

9. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    I agree with everyone's thoughts - he has been badly used for years. Pretty boy going to a pretty boy game.

10. Nutzcraw

Nutzcraw Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I think he owes souths.

11. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,648 / 66
    I thought he had family issues which kept him in oz (his sister etc)

12. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Apparently something has happened which saw him lose the part of his contract that was third party, so he probably feels that he doesn't owe them anything

13. Stiffi

Stiffi Active Member 2016 Tipping Competitor 2015 Tipping Competitor

Thats a fair bit of Salary Cap freed up, what would the odds be on Tuqiri to Souths now??

14. Nutzcraw

Nutzcraw Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    If that's the case KE well maybe he doesn't but he hasn't played many games for them and is on good coin.

Stiffi, no club will touch tuqiri... the only team that would pay more than 250k for a winger is the broncos (Falou) and look where that has got them.

Tuqiri will continue being a rah rah

15. Zep

Zep Active Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    he will make a scrum half in rugby and might get a wallaby jersey out of it if he plays a year in Aus

16. nita

nita Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Not just Jap rugby.. 2nd div Jap rugby. Wow  :-\

While I will also miss these shots, nicci, my respect for him in that respect has dropped to zero after his break up with Zoe Foster.. seems like a jerk from what I've heard.. Give me Wolfy any day  :p

17. eggson

eggson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +239 / 2
    You're a Sydney High old boy?

Apparently this 2nd div Jap Rugby thing is $60k per game, something like 12 games a year, not uncommon for star imports to be rested frequently.  Mark Gerrard plays in the same team Wing's signed for.

As for Souths, this frees up half a million in the cap and they're going to look for Khunt.  Interestingly enough, if this happened earlier i reckon there'd be a fair chance that LeStrange would've gotten signed.

But i can see why he'd do it and good on him i guess.  Played well for the Blues, lost a LOT of money apparently in the last few years so time to look forward and save for the future.  Shame he didn't play for Manly...

18. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    Absolutely no chance of playing for the Wallabies, may make the japanese national side, half their team is imports .

19. Cletus

Cletus Active Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I agree with Crusher that he should have been playing 5/8. I saw him play a game there earlier this year and he killed them, he was a complete waste as a bench hooker and if Souths had a coach with brains they would have played him at 5/8 and had Sutton at lock.

20. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I watched Wing as an Australian Schoolboy and for a number of years in the schoolboy comp. He was a brilliant running five-eighth and made Sydney High quite a competitive side in those days. At top rep level he was also very good but lacked a kicking game, which limited his high level aspirations in that code. Will be interesting to see where they want to play him. I fancy he would make quite a good 12.