Williamson Re-Signs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
By Dean Ritchie

September 26, 2007
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22482084-5006066,00.html

HE will play in his first grand final this weekend after 11 years of first grade, but the good news won't stop there for unheralded Luke Williamson.

The Daily Telegraph understands the Sea Eagles lock will reject interest from England and next week sign a new two-year deal with the Brookvale club. There remains just a minor clause to be resolved before the deal will be announced, as early as next Monday.

A player who rarely receives praise alongside big names Steve Menzies, Brent Kite and Anthony Watmough, Williamson has done a sterling job this year and remains a key reason behind his club's 2007 success.

Sea Eagles chief executive Grant Mayer said his club was close to finally retaining Williamson. "Obviously Luke wants to stay and we are very keen to keep him,'' Mayer said last night.

"There are a few minor issues to be resolved and we will discuss those when we meet with his manager (George Mimis) next week. But we are reasonably confident of keeping him.''

Williamson said his Sea Eagles were ready to tackle minor premiers Melbourne in Sunday night's decider. "Melbourne are a terrific side but, quietly, we rate ourselves,'' Williamson said.

"We have worked hard all year and have systems in place. Melbourne will have to play very well to beat us.''

Manly still have some injury concerns but expect to take the field at full strength. Meanwhile, punters are turning away from Melbourne and investing heavily on Manly to win Sunday night's grand final.

Melbourne remain $1.50 favourites with TAB Sportsbet but more than 60 per cent of money held is for the Sea Eagles. Manly remain at $2.50 but may tighten in betting if the plunge continues. It is understood about $90,000 of the $150,000 invested on the decider is for Manly.

"Punters look at a grand final and want a reason to back the outsider,'' TAB Sportsbet spokesman Glenn Munsie said last night. "And this year they've got one in Manly. Manly was the second best team in the competition and one of Melbourne's few defeats this year was to Manly.

"Don't forget last year Melbourne were morals but Brisbane got the chocolates. Melbourne will also have to travel away from home to Sydney and they weren't overly convincing last weekend against Parramatta. Manly was very strong against North Queensland.''

One reason the punters like Manly is the form of hooker Michael Monaghan, a star in his side's big win over North Queensland last weekend. Asked about playing hooker, Monaghan said: "It probably took me a little bit longer to adjust than I thought it would.

"It is a lot of work, especially dealing with the fatigue. "I've got to the point now where I've adjusted to hooker and am enjoying my time there.''

Great news IMO.

I guess that means we wont be getting this high profile union player! (disgruntled all black)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6