Williamson and Dunley

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Downie

Reserve Grader
Please, keep these two out of the team next year. If the word "passenger" could apply to anyone in this team, it'd be these two. Their performances last night summed them up.

Dunley, although he had a good run or two and got us a good ten metres out of dummy half, he was constantly holding down in the tackle, gave away a penalty in poor field position (may or may not have led to a try, can't remember) and missed a crucial tackle that led to their first linebreak up the middle of the field.

Williamson came on and dropped the ball straight away, giving them the ball in a great position. Although he tackled well, all he does is make 5 metres per run and never seems to get a quick play the ball. Also, what is the point of bringing on someone like Williamson 50 minutes into the match just to tackle? If anything, you start with him to get a lot of the work done early on and then bring on someone like Watmough to run at the fringes.

An 80 minute hooker will be much better (either Monaghan or Ballin, I may be leading towards Ballin) and Glenn Stewart can easily replace Williamson. He's younger and can add more in attack. Cuthbertson is another option if we don't want a defense based second rower.

Yep. i think its just a matter of making progress if we wereto cut both. Its not so much a case of they are mediocre of deadwood but more a case of we need to change gears and introduce new blood to effect a positive change.

If we are to keep with that flavour then King has to go aswell. He tried hard last night and has been impressive in some previous weeks but overall we need fresh invigorating prop talent to start 07.

Who to replace King though? Kite, Rose, Bryant and King are probably our four best props. Behind them we have Morwood, Curtis, Finefeuiaki and Styles. What happened to that Arnold guy?

Out of those, Curtis and Morwood aren't up to standard. Syles may be, but I haven't seen enough of him though he did alright in his first First Grade match this year. Finefeuiaki could be a great prop, but from what I've heard needs to work on his lateral defence.

The cupboards are quite bare in the prop department. Arnold, Styles and Finefeuiaki may have great off-seasons and push for a First Grade spot, but if they don't? King has gone alright this year, through still needs tons of improvement. It's more of a case he's one of the best of what we've got than anything else.

The season over and I hate analysing and criticising players but you are close to the mark Downie.

Willo is ideal as a benchman when we lead by 8 and you want to slow the play and cut the opposition down. Outside of that he offers little in attack and we have had poor starts all season. Dunners has always been the same and produces sins most games. King has definitely improved and his defense has been solid at the back end of the year but just doesn't cut it when needed in carting it up. Kite has been outstanding and is the standard that any of the props need to get close to.

I think the team management aren't blind and know where the weaknesses lie. The problem is keeping within the cap and actually attracting the few forward players that are available. They have already started the clean up releasing Cleal, Witt, Steppa etc and deep down we know these were correct calls. I cannot help but feel that there is more cleaning to come with Morewood and the ones above being close to the line.

When I saw Dunley was in the team I said that we would loose.

Why the hell has Hasler kept him in the team? He is a hot-head and every game gives Manly about 2-3 penalties against us.

I completely agree with the cleaning out, MB. Over the past two years with Des in charge, Donald, Randall, Heckenberg, Alberts, Cleal, Stephenson, Witt, Leuluai and Harris have all been let go. Out of those, the only ones we will and have possibly missed are Heckenberg and Leuluai. Cleal was alright but like Dunley in that he gave away too many penalties.

Also notice that Des tried to off Monaghan as he wasn't going too well at halfback and we probably would have had Ballin at hooker by now if he wasn't resigned. However, he has done quite well at hooker this year.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8