1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Williams defence

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by DSM5, Jul 13, 2008.

1. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    I think he's attack is great and his line speed is fantastic, and he got us going against the Titians.  But... I worry about his defense.  His positional play is a worry, he seems to drift in, and I saw last night how the gummy's targetted his side.  Should I continue to be concerned or should I just think, Bell's defense is excellent and he'll assist when necessary, and he's only young and still learning.  Does anyone else have my concerns?     

2. Nutzcraw

Nutzcraw Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Only 6 points scored against us by the equal competition leaders.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

3. eggson

eggson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +239 / 2
    I wouldn't worry just yet.  this is his first NRL season, only a handful of games... plenty to learn and doing very well in the process

4. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    Speaking of Bell, did anybody see him do any of his usual sideways running last night because all I saw him do was run straight forward every time he got the ball.

5. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    He got run over by Gallen for the sharks try but Gallen has done that to many players.  I am not concerned, seems to be doing a pretty job, and if they did target him only 1 try was scored.

6. eagle_predator

eagle_predator Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Still learning his trade in the top grade and playing some great footy in the process.

7. PONTIAN SEA EAGLE

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +947 / 79
    i notice sides also tend to bomb his side he struggles in the air.

8. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Bellamy will have noticed him.

9. Zep

Zep Active Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    yeah and bell doesnt do much for protect...

10. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,080 / 284
    It was probably his 1st below par night, but I'll take that with his 6 other fantastic nights.

Great young player...and should definitely be rookie of the year IMO.

11. Zep

Zep Active Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    we have some depth in the squad and that wins premierships. It will only urge Bani, Williams and Robertson to play harder to keep there spots

12. DVS Matt

DVS Matt Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    hey zep - i had a crack at a banner for you.

Hope you like:

[​IMG]

If anyone else wants a banner, please PM me

13. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    does that mean he and turner will cancel each other out :D

14. Biscuits

Biscuits Active Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    its our defensive structure that sees him defend as far in as he does. We play a super-compressed line so that no one can come through and also allows us to get 3 men in every tackle thus slowing down the play the ball.
    I love seeing teams attempt to go round us because we always push across hard on the inside and run them out of room. The usual results of the opposition trying to outflank us are
    1.dropped ball from rushed passes
    2.driven over the sideline when they run out of room
    3.tackled just a metre or so in from touch giving them only one direction to go from the play the ball allowing us to jam in and blitz them, or if its the last tackle, being able to put pressure on their kicker on one side of the ruck.
    We arent the best defensive outfit by fluke. Trust the compress and slide. The players obviously do.

15. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    you really dont appericate this until u watch our defensive from behind at the ground.

Last week against the titans on a number of occasions they looked to get around us only for beaver or one of the other blokes to swarm in and tackle them towards the sideline.

16. Zep

Zep Active Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    thanks mate.. looks good... will save it though... thinking about do a B Stewart try to game ratio

17. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    Williams is suspect to the palm off by the bigger backs. It has resulted in 3 line breaks, 2 of which ended up in tries. Bani is stronger up top and will probably come back if fit enough before the finals time if this happens again.

That said the Wolfman will get stronger over the next few years in that area.