Will Manly reveal all vs Storm - or wait for finals?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
I got the impression in that game against Dragons that Dessie had Manly not reveal too much. Why show your best moves to win a club game?

If Manly unleash new plays against Storm in this club game, then that shows the Storm and other teams how to beat us when it matters in the finals.

If Dessie has worked out how to dismantle the Storm, I don't think he'd put it on show tomorrow night.

I think we need to win first and foremost. Top 2 and then win in the first week of the finals and get a week off is more important than keeping a few tricks in the bag. We'll do that anyway because the teams will be different if we play each other on GF day anyway.

I hear you MaskedEagle, but I can't get out of my head the way Dessie and the team reacted to that Dragons loss. I think there is some poker faces going on with Manly.

Don't kid yourself, Manly are not so great that they can go out there half baked and expect to just turn it on for the finals, we need to build to the finals starting with a solid win against the Storm.

We just didn't execute properly against the Dragons. I don't think it was a case of not showing them something, if the passes had stuck I reckon we would have come away with the win, especially considering that most, if not all of their points came directly from a mistake we made when deep in attack.

Brissie Kid said:
I hear you MaskedEagle, but I can't get out of my head the way Dessie and the team reacted to that Dragons loss. I think there is some poker faces going on with Manly.

Mate did it occur to you that Des did not to show his disappointment publicly over the Dragons game. Im sure the team copped a serve behind closed doors.

If Dessie knows the way to unravel the Storm, I just don't think he'd waste it on winning a club game that won't make any difference.

I'm not saying Manly won't try to win, just that if they have an ace up their sleeve it won't be used tomorrow night.

Do people seriously believe coaches ask the team to lose so they dont reveal their hand before the finals?

No Ceagle.

I'm saying Dessie will have Manly going all out for a win.

All I'm asking is if he has worked out a new way to open the Storm up, then he probably wouldn't bring it to the team this week, and we won't see it until the finals.

Brissie Kid said:
No Ceagle.

I'm saying Dessie will have Manly going all out for a win.

All I'm asking is if he has worked out a new way to open the Storm up, then he probably wouldn't bring it to the team this week, and we won't see it until the finals.

Nah i don't buy it, Sure teams are known to go up a gear in the finals but holding back using useful tactics though rounds 1-26 is nonsense.

When we lost at Brookie to the Storm late 2008, I walked away pretty content knowing that we matched them and could beat them again if we met them in the finals. I felt the same after the Dragons game this year and I have a feeling we could see a similar result tomorrow night. We'll match or even dominate them physically but they might just pip us on the scoreboard. There is no point showing Melbourne how to beat us just two weeks out from the finals, but we'll throw up a few things and test them in areas to work out how to beat them if/when we play them again.

Jatz Crackers said:
Rest assured Des plans ahead meticulously & always keeps certain tactics in reserve/up his sleeve.

Totally agree JC!!

Obviously the boys are going out there to win so the intensity will be right up there but I bet my house that the boys will double that in a couple of weeks time!!! Maybe Choc is ready to "do his stuff" again for the finals (the more creative Choc I mean not just the solid metre eater role he is doing now)??

I trust in Des!!!

IMO its the perfect time to try new tactics. Are you going to wait to the biggest stage? What happens if they don't work? We aren't going to get a better chance to gauge our chances for the finals than the next 2 weeks. Sure you might keep a little trick play or two up yourselves, but that could just as much be because the opportunity to run it just didn't happen in the game as opposed to saving it.

As for this game not meaning anything, I couldn't disagree more. Winning this game ties up second spot and the advantage that has over 3rd in the finals is HUGE!!!! The chance to get a week off while your opposition bashes each other in week of the finals is definitely worth pulling out all stops tomorrow night.

not to mention the added benefit of a sydney prelim final rather than having to travel to melbourne or brisbane. the week off is huge if we can get it.

Brissie Kid said:
If Dessie knows the way to unravel the Storm, I just don't think he'd waste it on winning a club game that won't make any difference.

I'm not saying Manly won't try to win, just that if they have an ace up their sleeve it won't be used tomorrow night.

It's not a poker game with cards dealt. Its a poker game with many rounds.

But it is true they do seem to be holding back a little of late compared to the form earlier in the season. Dessie is a seasoned pro. They are all doing this (i.e. Bennett), but the Storm with their coach is going for the glory, of saving face week after week, to make up for their inpenatrable shame of being rorters and having billy slater in the locker rooms.

A manly win is not essential on Friday night. Bit it should be tight, very tight.

weev said:
It's not a poker game with cards dealt. Its a poker game with many rounds.

Still, who wouldn't push with pocket bullets because you don't want to use them until you get to heads up?

This is a must win game in the picture of an entire season.

It's all in and hope they hold.

The hand you play depends on the opposition. Des will have certain ammo in the bag for Storm & different for Illawarra. Yes its that time of year to use it!! Will have more up the sleeve for finals even against Storm & agree with Masked Eagle - execution is the main ingredient.

Here is 1 example - have you played DOOM on the playstation?
You need certain weapons for certain creatures - example we will fire the Matai missile from close range into Cameron Smith....;)

To be honest all I REALLY want to see is The Scum walk off that field in a world of hurt. Whilst a win will be nice, and preferable, I want them to absolutely DREAD running out against us in the near future.

I would never wish a physical injury on anyone.... But I want the mental scars fresh and bleeding next time they come up against the Sea Eagles.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2