Will Hoppa Jnr debut?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Im pretty sure we'll see Matai spend close to a month on the sidelines after his MMA bout last night.

Its got me wondering will Des move Farrar up into the centers to cover for Matai and bring Hoppa Jnr into the fullback spot. Will we see someone like Neuman (is he even still about) or another center prospect come in?

I'd love to see William have a run but my gut says someone like bailey will be a makeshift defensive centre and we'll run without an attacking centre, keeping Buhrer on the bench despite running around like a headless chicken in his debut last night.

Is Hoppa v2.0 ready or are we best to use the tried and tested Des formula of never ever ever blooding rising tallent unless we are 110% out of other options?

The choice will be between Hoppa to fullback and Farrer to Centre

Or Whare to Centre

Neumann is at the Bulldogs.
We aren't going to go too far with Farrar at fullback. An uncontested bomb/dropped bomb is going to cost us in the finals.

Time to bite the bullet and promote Hoppa. One thing he definitely has going for him is his catching. Very good under the high ball.

Hoppa won't play as there is too much difference between the standard of toyota cup and first grade. 

Buhrer was a classic example of this last night as he couldn't keep up with the pace. 

Bailey or T=Rex will play centre and maybe Des can get Cuthbo back to play on the wing?

We are in all sorts of problems if Hoppa is playing this year.

Whare looks far closer to being able to handle it.

Yeah the way Dessie is with players, I can't see Hoppa making his debut any time soon.  Most likely he'll reorganise the troops to cover for Mattai being out. 

Hopefully Foran will be back for our next game so the backline won't be too disjointed.

2 weeks for Matai is my pick

We would be foolish to move Farrar imo, his input into our attacking moves can't be replicated by Hoppa, his bomb catching can be worked on to improve.

Whare would be my man to come into centre

4 weeks...thats going to be tough with Lyon missing around origin time too, we need 2 new guys in the centres now.

So that says to me Whare and Farrer, Des may have his hand forced for him on this one

Yep I think so Dan, looking like we will be playing full strength Titans at Skilled minus Matai, Lyon, Perry and Watmough. Think Des may roll this out, with Bailey being the contentious choice

Farrar
Robertson
Whare
Bailey
Williams
Foran
Hodkinson
King
Ballin
Kite
Cross
Rodney
Stewart

Galuvao
Rose
Buhrer
???????

watching Buhrer all thru juniors I never really rated him, always too small, looked a midget the other night, used to go hard in juniors but never a standout, big shame that Des hasn't brought Lussick or Mauro in, Lussick must be playing ordinary, even Junior Palau might be a possibility

I wouldnt mind seeing junior Palau get a run to be honest, he has destroyed teams in the past but lacks consistency.

Mark Page is another name to throw in there.

tookey link said:
Hoppa won't play as there is too much difference between the standard of toyota cup and first grade. 

Buhrer was a classic example of this last night as he couldn't keep up with the pace. 

Big difference between playing in the forwards and playing fullback.

Dugan came straight from Toyota Cup. There are some forwards who have done it but its obviously tougher on them.

And Kiwi, its a lot easier to learn backline moves then it is to catch bombs under pressure, especially when your confidence is shot.

Recalled reading this article a while back and just found it. Wouldnt it be great to be able to go to the footy and watch reserve grade before the main game again.

LEADING NRL coaches Craig Bellamy, Des Hasler and Matt Elliott have warned that the demise of reserve grade has bred an over-reliance on tackle-shy Toyota Cup teenagers which threatens the quality of the NRL.

The trio believes the National Youth Competition is having a detrimental effect on NSW's traditional all-age feeder competition, which is battling for profile and relevance after being evicted from NRL venues in favour of the under-20 competition.

In 2008, 45 Toyota Cup players were promoted to first grade and last year that figure rose to 54. In five NRL rounds this year, there have already been 14.

The main worry for Hasler, Bellamy and Elliott is the defence in the Toyota Cup. Already, five games have produced a total of 80 points or more.

But a combination of the second-tier salary cap's bite and an exodus of older-age NSW Cup players because of poor pay and an unpalatable profile is forcing teams to throw unprepared youngsters to the wolves.

"The thing people have to realise is the Toyota Cup is not a true under-20s comp," Hasler said.

"Clubs are recruiting kids at 16, 17 and 18 to give themselves time to see whether they will develop.

"At the moment there are 70 or 80 players unavailable because of injury, and we are trying to rush in these 18 and 19-year-olds.

"It takes time for some players, especially props and halfbacks, to become first graders.

"If we are not careful with the current injury rate, and the way the salary cap makes it difficult to field over-age players, the standard of the NRL could be compromised.

"You could see the quality of our competition dip and no one wants that."

NSW Origin coach Bellamy has been underwhelmed by the performances of the Melbourne under-20 players - all drawn from the Storm's 2009 Toyota Cup premiership-winning team - who he has promoted to his top squad.

"With the way the salary cap works, you have to rely on the under-20s more," Bellamy said. "This year we've brought seven or eight under-20 guys into our top squad, thinking they might play NRL - but they haven't. It's because of defensive issues.

"I like a defensive game and I get really frustrated when I see scorelines like 48-34 and 38-36.

"It's a bit of a worry when you've got guys playing in a comp like that and then coming straight in to first grade."

Elliott said it was inevitable that there would a drop in quality as more over-20s walked away.

"I am a big supporter of getting an all age competition back," the Panthers coach said.

"It's something we really need. Most are just not ready at that age and we are losing a lot of over-age players because we can't keep them in the system. With all the guys we are losing, of course the quality of our main product is going to be affected.

"We are having to make decisions based on age, not on who is the best player."

While none of the coaches want the Toyota Cup scrapped, they feel the all-age competition should be treated as the NRL's premier feeder system. Either that or for the NYC age limit to be increased.

Hasler and Bellamy said the most effective cure would be to return to the traditional three-grade format on match day. But it is understood clubs want to save money by hiring stadiums and staff for less time.

Darren link said:
watching Buhrer all thru juniors I never really rated him, always too small, looked a midget the other night, used to go hard in juniors but never a standout, big shame that Des hasn't brought Lussick or Mauro in, Lussick must be playing ordinary, even Junior Palau might be a possibility

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago thinking exactly the same thing about a player in Premier League. Never stood out, was a bit small and I thought this kid will never make it in 1st Grade, his name was Glen Stewart!

If Des thinks the kid has got something then I am not prepared to to bag young Darcy.

Des "may" bring up Whare...I doubt Hoppa Jnr is ready just yet, my opinion is he's being saved for when Brett can no longer play at Fullback beause of his knees (which may in fact be 2011).

I am not concerned that Hoppa does not stand out in the 20's, there have been many that do stand out but are no good in the NRL and some that just play their role in the lower grades and when they come up to NRL they fit right in.  I think Hoppa fits into that category.  If he was on standby for Matai in NZ Des must have faith, that will do me. 

clontaago link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=183343.msg262908#msg262908 date=1274142684]

Big difference between playing in the forwards and playing fullback.

Dugan came straight from Toyota Cup. There are some forwards who have done it but its obviously tougher on them.

And Kiwi, its a lot easier to learn backline moves then it is to catch bombs under pressure, especially when your confidence is shot.
[/quote]

Learning a move is easy, having the skill to finish the move is the hard part, and Farrar has shown a lot of ability in that role with long balls and little kicks resulting in tries

From what I have seen of Hoppa in the 20s, I am not convinced he could just roll straight in and start throwing the sort of balls that have been putting Matai and Robbo away regularly

At least with Hoppa the calls this year have a bit of merit behind them though, some of the calls last year to put a 16 year old into 1st grade while he was injured himself were terrible

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7