Widders facing two weeks for grapple

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
South Sydney backrower Dean Widders is facing a two match suspension on a grapple tackle charge that threatens to take the gloss off the club's surge into the top eight.

Widders was today charged with grade two contrary conduct over a tackle on Jamie Lyon during the Rabbitohs' shock 24-18 win over second-placed Manly at Telstra Stadium last night.

The win put South Sydney into the top eight and within reach of their first finals appearance since 1989. However they can ill afford to lose the influential Widders for the final two regular season matches away to Wests Tigers and home to Sydney Roosters.

Widders becomes the third player charged for a suspected grapple tackle from round 23 matches in the wake of controversy last week. St George Illawarra's Jason Ryles and West Tigers' Liam Fulton were both charged with grade one grapple tackles over the weekend.

Fulton can escape suspension with an early guilty plea, while Ryles is facing one week on the sideline having already pleaded guilty earlier this season for a dangerous throw.

0,,5620500,00.jpg

I think this is the one that shocked me during the game. It was so blatant, dangerous and no penalty was given. Considering the press on the subject I was surprised that the bunnies persisted with this style for a lot of the game. Manly's tackles were completely different. Usually just two tacklers, one low, one up, hard but we peeled off in quick time. I am sure that is exactly what the refs and NRL wants to see. I hope they give it to the other teams going into the finals.

A two match suspension for something that didn't rate a penalty at the game? Hamstead should hang his head in shame. Dreadful blatant one-sided refereeing

Well he got off.

The good news for us though is that Jason Ryles was suspended for two matches for grappling, meaning his season is over and thus won't be facing us in round 25.

I saw that Flip, from what I saw Ryles's tackle didn't look to bad, but I'm happy for him to be out of the game against us.. I watched the 77 grandfinal on fox last night. Jeeezus back in those days anything went, the ground looked extra hard too, lots of dust. very vicious tackles and the scrums looked particularly dangerous.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2