Why this win meant so much:-

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
As people know, I have been critical of our defensive attitude under Toovey, but tonight showed, with a number of stars including Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Tony Williams & Keiran Foran out that we can still win based on that exact adage.

Four of our forwards made over 100 metres, including both our bookends, and two of our starting backrowers. Hell, three players made 30 tackles or more, two of which were players in Watmough and Buhrer that was also in the 100metre+ club.

Some tidbits:-

Dean Whare is a keeper. He really never does anything wrong, and just keeps getting better, but I really hope it's not at the expense of Matai, who 's aggression is a much needed commodity in our team.

Jorge Taufua adds a lot of presence out wide and gets involved in attack at various points in his game.

Liam Foran. I have said in another thread that he would make an excellent utility player full strength, because he can play centre, 5/8, 1/2 back and Hooker. Given consistent time in first grade, I have no doubts he could become a real quality player like his brother.

I think tonight showed us, that if we can't keep Brett Stewart, or Kieran Foran just wants too much, we COULD go on, and still be a pretty good team. We really SHOULD be a club players want to play at, and have success with, and like Melbourne, players should realise that this may come at the cost of the almighty dollar.

Jamie Lyon. My God. Just when you think he is peaking as a player, he just goes to another level, then another level, and another. It goes on. As people know, he's my favourite player. He just adds so much to our team as a whole. In fact, if I'm Perry, I'm talking about extension NOW. I'm sure he could play well later on his his career, ALA Beaver.

Jamie Buhrer - wow. What a little player ! He just does everything expected and more. I hope he plays for City in City/Country. I don't know how, but I'd love for him to continue in the starting line-up when the team is fully healthy, but who do you drop to the bench?

Overall, this is the team I remember from last year. Just that never die attitude. 80 minute football. The hardest thing, is to be able to play that, consistently though.

One thing I am a little confused about though is Skinner. What role does he play? Surely Rose adds more impact?

Anyways - pretty excited after that win. There are so many positives to build off from that game (DCE - wow). My expectations have certainly risen for the 2012 class now.

Mate it is excusable to say our defense has not been great, i have said the same thing but until this game you had already given up on Tooves and that is poor form. Give him a chance, the Dog Hasler would never have given L Foran a chance but 2V did and look how well he played. Have faith in Tooves!!!!

I love it when you bag us Ryan, it just makes the boys play that much harder. They might be reading your work.

torana355 said:
Mate it is excusable to say our defense has not been great, i have said the same thing but until this game you had already given up on Tooves and that is poor form. Give him a chance, the Dog Hasler would never have given L Foran a chance but 2V did and look how well he played. Have faith in Tooves!!!!

Mate, I have my own reasons I'm not willing to droll up on these forums as to why I'm not keen on Toovey as a coach. I'll leave it at that.

But yeah, I did like his passion in the box. I did like our defence tonight. All bodes well if we can keep on playing like that.

TokyoEagle said:
I love it when you bag us Ryan, it just makes the boys play that much harder. They might be reading your work.

LoL, if ONLY I was that important.

Well said Ryan. I thought Watmough, King, Ballin and Buhrer in the forwards were fantastic and big Joe was great for the short time he was out there. Matai and Lyon were also top class. Every player gave it a real shot tonight and it was great to see.

Ryan said:
As people know, I have been critical of our defensive attitude under Toovey, but tonight showed, with a number of stars including Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Tony Williams & Keiran Foran out that we can still win based on that exact adage.

Four of our forwards made over 100 metres, including both our bookends, and two of our starting backrowers. Hell, three players made 30 tackles or more, two of which were players in Watmough and Buhrer that was also in the 100metre+ club.

Dean Whare is a keeper. He really never does anything wrong, and just keeps getting better, but I really hope it's not at the expense of Matai, who 's aggression is a much needed commodity in our team.

Jorge Taufua adds a lot of presence out wide and gets involved in attack at various points in his game.

Liam Foran. I have said in another thread that he would make an excellent utility player full strength, because he can play centre, 5/8, 1/2 back and Hooker. Given consistent time in first grade, I have no doubts he could become a real quality player like his brother.

I think tonight showed us, that if we can't keep Brett Stewart, or Kieran Foran just wants too much, we COULD go on, and still be a pretty good team. We really SHOULD be a club players want to play at, and have success with, and like Melbourne, players should realise that this may come at the cost of the almighty dollar.

Jamie Lyon. My God. Just when you think he is peaking as a player, he just goes to another level, then another level, and another. It goes on. As people know, he's my favourite player. He just adds so much to our team as a whole. In fact, if I'm Perry, I'm talking about extension NOW. I'm sure he could play well later on his his career, ALA Beaver.

Jamie Buhrer - wow. What a little player ! He just does everything expected and more. I hope he plays for City in City/Country. I don't know how, but I'd love for him to continue in the starting line-up when the team is fully healthy, but who do you drop to the bench?

Overall, this is the team I remember from last year. Just that never die attitude. 80 minute football. The hardest thing, is to be able to play that, consistently though.

One thing I am a little confused about though is Skinner. What role does he play? Surely Rose adds more impact?

Anyways - pretty excited after that win. There are so many positives to build off from that game (DCE - wow). My expectations have certainly risen for the 2012 class now.

Wow Ryan a positive wrap coming from you. Last week you had written the team off, and wanting Des reinstated (to that effect).
Good stuff tho that you have seen the light.

Ryan said:
torana355 said:

Mate, I have my own reasons I'm not willing to droll up on these forums as to why I'm not keen on Toovey as a coach. I'll leave it at that.

But yeah, I did like his passion in the box. I did like our defence tonight. All bodes well if we can keep on playing like that.

TokyoEagle said:

You must be impressed with the fact Tooves is not risk averse like many on here got into Des about in previous years.

Still plenty of work to be done in the coming weeks. Hopefully we can scrape a few more wins together before we get back the big guns.

1947 said:
Ryan said:

Wow Ryan a positive wrap coming from you. Last week you had written the team off, and wanting Des reinstated (to that effect).
Good stuff tho that you have seen the light.

We can hate all we like, Des Hasler is an amazing coach. If we could re-instate him, I'd hope we jump at it straight away.

Also, I hadn't written the team off for the thousandth time, I said our defence under Toovey up to that point wasn't good enough, which is EXACTLY what Toovey said about his OWN team pre-game. I also said there was no attention to detail, and again Toovey said that mid week along the lines of the 1% plays need to be done correctly.

Therefore, my criticisms, align with Toovey's.

Written them off. Go on, put more words into people mouthes.

Garts said:
Ryan said:
torana355 said:

TokyoEagle said:

You must be impressed with the fact Tooves is not risk averse like many on here got into Des about in previous years.

Still plenty of work to be done in the coming weeks. Hopefully we can scrape a few more wins together before we get back the big guns.

Definitely so. I think it also shows we aren't as lacking in depth as first thought. I think Liam, Whare, Taufua are keepers, which is great, if we are potentially losing players.

Whare especially. It makes the $800k per annum The Eels are about to pay Hoppa look ridiculous.

When you are down on troops, the replacements coming in can focus on defence like today.

very good effort.

I find it funny how you post threads like this as soon as a prediction or point you have been pushing is shown up as the dibble that it is. Or maybe the boys went down to Brooky after training this week and worked on their game without tooves. Give the guy credit when it's due Ryan.

I think our depth in the backs is great, still not convinced with our forward depth though. Although I am sure as the likes of Skinner and Harrison get more time in the NRL they will improve. Just hope we don't need to call on them both at the same time for much longer.

Garts said:
I think our depth in the backs is great, still not convinced with our forward depth though. Although I am sure as the likes of Skinner and Harrison get more time in the NRL they will improve. Just hope we don't need to call on them both at the same time for much longer.

Yeah, what IS Skinners game though? He's not a real power forward. He's not a real ball player. He's not an impact player. Not a metre muncher.

Maybe Darren or someone could answer??

Might have been a gentle reminder to some players tonight that they aren't irreplacible although the proof would need to be over a lot more games. If they are out next week and (funny how its all the off contract ones) and we repeat what we did tonight they might just think a little harder about leaving.

Think he only joined this year, maybe from Canberra? He did not offer much, but I guess nor did Buhrer or others in their first few games. He looked better in previous weeks than he did tonight. Did not bend the line and was driven back a couple of times. I guess at the end of the day he is only playing as 2 backrowers are out. Can't all be stars.

Yeah, I don't mean it as a good vs. bad thing, just wondering what his role is.

King: Attain metres, aggression, solid defence
Kite: Attain metres, solid defence, SOME second phase play
Watmough: Attain Metres, damaging defence, ball player & runner
Buhrer: Utility, try scorer, metre gainer, consistent defender

that type of thing.

If we keep Jorge on the wing he will provide valuable metres like Hoppa did last year. Just don't get that from Oldfield, he does not seem to look for the ball like Jorge does. We missed that in the early rounds.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2