Why spend $1 on local jnr's

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Alan

Reserve Grader
A genuine question.

Does a strong junior comp bring NRL success? Well, the last 3 premierships have been won by the 3 teams (Manly, Easts, Melb) with the smallest junior bases. The 5 teams with the largest junior bases (parra, Penrith, Bris, NZ, Canberra) all failed to make the semi's last year.

What about Watmough, 2v, Menzies, Kingy I hear you scream.

What about Lyons (nsw country) Matai (NZ) brett & Gifty (Wool) Williams, Buhrer, horo, Taufua (para) I answer.

2 years ago, 4 of potentially a generations most promising juniors, Will and Jamal Hopoate and the Lussick brothers gone at the whiff of a cheque and the stroke of a pen.

I can think of several emotional or feel good reasons for spending money on local juniors, I'm struggling to think of one logical or practical one.

Which is why the NRL cap is a joke. The NRL wants locals to become members of their NRL club while at the same time has a cap system that offers nothing towards encouraging teams having local heroes.

I think the hard thing is that for people of my generation who have grown up to understand about local juniors staying loyal is now a fallacy.

The fact is that every club poaches juniors from every club. I think today is about smart recruitment and retaining the good kids that you find.

Over the years we have lost many quality juniors, losing Hoppa to the worms is really disappointing but when that sort of cash is offered you cant blam the kid.

We must try and retain Jake and Clint from the current under 20s cause they are both going to be stars of the game.

sheridanstand78 said:
I think the hard thing is that for people of my generation who have grown up to understand about local juniors staying loyal is now a fallacy.

The fact is that every club poaches juniors from every club. I think today is about smart recruitment and retaining the good kids that you find.

Over the years we have lost many quality juniors, losing Hoppa to the worms is really disappointing but when that sort of cash is offered you cant blam the kid.

We must try and retain Jake and Clint from the current under 20s cause they are both going to be stars of the game.

These aren't the only 2 talented Juniors coming through either, there is a couple of really talented kids in the 20s, I hope they stick around, I am not a huge fan of Gutho, compared to Jake, I have watched him over the years, has no explosive speed from the mark for a good back and I think he will struggle down the track with putting on the weight with his fairly light frame, I heard this is one of the reasons he was not picked for the Junior Kangaroos last season. Manly need to look after their Talented Juniors coming through, which they don't compared to some other clubs, otherwise these kids will chase the big bucks and get the perks, who can blame them ? Fans want them to stay of course, but the end of the day its a business, you have to perform, your not at the club because your a nice guy, these players need to look after themselves financially for life, one nasty injury could cost them their playing future.

The Commission is charged developing the code, not just NRL, and should be doing whatever is necessary to ensure junior comps are promoted and resourced in each district. Sounds common sense, but it seems only AFL and soccer have any.

sheridanstand78 said:

These aren't the only 2 talented Juniors coming through either, there is a couple of really talented kids in the 20s, I hope they stick around, I am not a huge fan of Gutho, compared to Jake, I have watched him over the years, has no explosive speed from the mark for a good back and I think he will struggle down the track with putting on the weight with his fairly light frame, I heard this is one of the reasons he was not picked for the Junior Kangaroos last season. Manly need to look after their Talented Juniors coming through, which they Don't compared to some other clubs, otherwise these kids will chase the big bucks and get the perks, especially if they hear their mate is getting double what their getting at another club, who can blame them ? Fans want them to stay of course, but the end of the day its a business, you have to perform and the player needs to be looked after, your not at the club because your a nice guy, these players need to look after themselves financially for life, one nasty injury could cost them their playing future.

HappilyManly said:
I loved watching big Dean McGlinchy, although he was wasted at Wing, what happened to him ?
They don't want him, he was playing for Belrose. I hate to say it but, Dean can't tackle, his defence was shocking. I watched the opposition score 5 tries on his wing at Brooky once and then it was happening continuously after that, he was too slow to get back, out of position, he would be hanging around in the centres and the opposition would be scoring in the corners, didn't mark up. Lovely guy though. He would be great in the Back row, with his size and strength and with some speed, but not a winger.

Eagle Rock said:
HappilyManly said:
I loved watching big Dean McGlinchy, although he was wasted at Wing, what happened to him ?
They don't want him, he was playing for Belrose. I hate to say it but, Dean can't tackle, his defence was shocking. I watched the opposition score 5 tries on his wing at Brooky once and then it was happening continuously after that, he was too slow to get back, out of position, he would be hanging around in the centres and the opposition would be scoring in the corners, didn't mark up. Lovely guy though. He would be great in the Back row, with his size and strength and with some speed, but not a winger.

That sounds a lot like T-rex when he was with Manly.

There's just a list of players I'd like to ask what's the go? Perhaps some get a better offer, but Esi Tonga, Stromquist, Tavita, are there then they're not what's the go?

Some don't make the grade. It's a judgment call by our coaches, don't think they've got too many wrong in recent times.

I think Manly have managed to hold onto the juniors that they wanted to keep. JWH and Hopoate were the exceptions, but they were offered big money which Manly just couldnt or wouldnt match (JWH was a question mark back then anyway because of his aggression...a judgement call gone wrong).

I think generally, unlike many juniors elsewhere, that there is a tendency for those raised in the Manly district to want to stay in the district, for many reasons. I therefore think as long as Manly offers contracts to these kids in the ball park of other offers, they will generally stay at Manly. I think JWH was not happy Manly werent prepared to offer something better than they did and Hopoate apparently wanted to stay but the Parra offer was just an offer too hard to refuse. I suspect that wont happen too often, given Manly has a small junior comp and many other sides have a glut

Cliffy said:
There's just a list of players I'd like to ask what's the go? Perhaps some get a better offer, but Esi Tonga, Stromquist, Tavita, are there then they're not what's the go?

Manly buy players on the cheap, that no one else wants, they give these players an opportunity at the club, they develop them, after a short time, if they don't perform or are making big improvements, they get rid of them.
Stromquist is now playing for Wyong. Thats why you look after no.1, yourself, no loyalty with NRL Clubs nowadays.

The NRL is a joke. The only ones they play the loyalty card with is fans and for that they put the guilt factor on us to PAY THEM for us to be members.

The NRL also think there is something to be spun in 2014 from having three grades play on match day. Why should I care about lower graders when almost all will never play NRL or will go to another NRL club?

Loyalty is a two way street. If you are picked or recruited to play in a lower grade for a club, the club is taking a chance on you. In return, they are giving you the opportunity to show your talent to the rest of the competition on a weekly basis. If the club is giving you the opportunity to learn the finer points, foot your medical expenses etc, why wouldn't you feel a little grateful/loyal to that club? If you continue to improve and it is obvious that you are NRL material, would you then stay at the club that gave you the opportunity and provided you with the tools to improve your play, waiting for your opportunity to break through, or join another club for more money??

Obviously, it comes down to the amount of time you may have to wait to get a shot. A young 6 or 7 will have quite a wait on his hands here at Manly. Or will he? Who knows if DCE will go to the Bronco's. It would be good to have a young "Anthony Milford" type in the lower grades to step straight up, just like DCE did when Ox left. (Forget the time we wasted with Hodko)

Running an NRL club is no different to running any other business. You have to do what is best for the team/business, but you should always have systems in place to cover when players/employees leave. I bet DCE was inundated with offers when Hodko was called up to the NRL. Does the fact he stayed show loyalty on his part?? Or did the club have their systems running fine tuned enough to let him know, if Hodko doesn't work out.........

Bottom line, I think the club knows far more about the players and their prospective futures than we will ever know. They will always keep who they want, and give their best wishes to the players that move on. We would not be the most successful club in the last ten years if our officials had no idea what they are doing.

As for the Manly club being loyal, the way they handled George Rose's circumstance with his broken leg, when he was told he'd never run again and definitely would never play footy again is all the proof I need. The way they stood behind Brett Stewart was admirable too. The fact that these incidences were not related directly to their footballing ability makes it so much more commendable.

mozgrame said:
As for the Manly club being loyal, the way they handled George Rose's circumstance with his broken leg, when he was told he'd never run again and definitely would never play footy again is all the proof I need. The way they stood behind Brett Stewart was admirable too. The fact that these incidences were not related directly to their footballing ability makes it so much more commendable.

Mozgrame, great comments here about Georgey and Snake. I don't think too many clubs would have stood by a fringe first grader the way they did with Georgey, and that speaks volumes for the hierarchy.

Local kids like supporting manly and want to play footy. I say spend money on the juniors because it keeps families involved, it is healthy for kids to do sport, and it grows the next generation of our diehard fans. And we get the odd gem through into the ball, NYC or 1st grade. I'd prefer it if they stay with the sea eagles, but not all will. Of course we shop around too.

Everyone wins.

So yes let's spend money on the juniors.

There is a reason why there is no discounts for Local Juniors and his name is Nick Politis.

Easts have NO JUNIORS and no prospect of developing or acquiring anything like enough Real Estate to make it happen. They let their only local junior Tom Symonds come to us so they could buy someone else. If there are discounts for local juniors Easts will be at a massive disadvantage and Politis has enormous clout with the NRL.

One thing that needs to happen in the Manly district is for local businesses and people generally to show more interest financially in local junior and A Grade sides. Manly has a small local comp and its apparently struggling. The new Peninsula Seagulls side intending to start this year may fold before it starts because of financial and venue issues.

Rugby League needs an infusion of funds and support at the local level in the MW area. It probably also needs to push for the north shore to be incorporated into the Sea Eagles resource area to counter other football codes such as soccer, the powerful union code and the increasingly growing Aussie Rules influence. The Sea Eagles will only continue to exist through proactive growth, and it needs to happen now.

The juniors boss came out and said they are thriving, in response to Bozo's comments that they are a shambles (pre-election of football club). So all may not be as it seems. Alan's comments that there were 7 teams in 1973 shows things have probably not changed all that much, for better or worse. We have a functioning junior league, & one team that has been good enough recently to win a Sydney comp (Belrose), sky not falling etc.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7