Why sacked Roosters centure BJ Leilua joined Wayne Bennett's Newcastle Knights school

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
Released by the Sydney Roosters last Tuesday, Leilua is poised to ink a two-year deal with the Knights that is designed to get him out of Sydney and following a similar path to reformed bad boys Willie Mason and Dane Gagai under Bennett in steel city.

Last Friday, the NRL announced Leilua has been de-registered until round four after the courts found him guilty of sending nude text messages of his ex-girlfriend, Cee-Jay Silbery.

Six charges, including assault, breaching an AVO and spitting at Silbery were dropped, with no conviction recorded.

Asked about the night he was remanded at St George police station, Leilua said: "It was pretty daunting at the time but I told myself I was going to get through it.

"It was a big reality check. I didn't want to be there and I knew then I needed to get back into footy.

"I learned a valuable lesson and I know I shouldn't have sent (the text messages).

"I went straight up to my family and fronted them about asking me any questions they wanted. I wanted them to know the truth.

"It's going to be a good change for me going to Newcastle, especially with the things that have been happening in Sydney."

Leilua has already spoken to Bennett on the phone. Currently tipping the scales at 105kg, the supercoach suggested he gets a personal trainer before arriving for his first day at the Knights.

On the news of his de-registration until round four, Leilua said: "I'm disappointed. It has come as a shock because I thought it was all over."

An Australian Schoolboy who was selected in NSW coach Laurie Daley's emerging Blues squad last week, Leilua joins Knights recruits Beau Scott, Jeremy Smith, David Fa'alogo and is expected to challenge for a position in Newcastle's centres.

The common theme among Bennett's recruitment drive? Hard-edged players with St George Illawarra bloodlines.

Leilua reasons there are no hard feelings over his split with the Roosters but was forced to inform most of his ex-teammates over the phone that the club had released him.

With new Roosters coach Trent Robinson taking the rest of the Tricolours squad to the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra for a week-long camp, Leilua met Knights recruitment guru Peter Mulholland last Wednesday to work towards inking a new two-year contract.

Bennett's track record when it comes to reforming wayward young footballers was a major influence.

Leilua, 21, celebrated his birthday last week and already has 59 NRL games to his name. The potential is certainly there. But the application needs direction.

"That's why I'm going up there. I spoke to Wayne the other day, he doesn't say much but he told me they're a good bunch of blokes and I'll fit in," Leilua said.

"I'll miss my family and friends but they're happy with my decision and agree I probably need a change.

"Last year I was one step away from my goal and then that incident happened and obviously it set me back."

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/why-sacked-roosters-centure-bj-leilua-joined-wayne-bennetts-newcastle-knights-school-of-reform/story-fn2mcuj6-1226542546870#ixzz2G7IqzcGc

RE: Why sacked Roosters centure BJ Leilua joined Wayne Bennett'

Wayne likes the BJ. Esp in the form of a 21yo man.

RE:

"The common theme among Bennett's recruitment drive? Hard-edged players with St George Illawarra bloodlines."................what a load of wank

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2