Why manly is different

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
the insular peninsular, the silvertails, call us what you like but being manly is different than being a panther,a dog or a chook.its better

Sure we have had success, loyalty, internationals, prized recruits and more 200 game players than anyone i think. If not we are up there.

Manly have been consistent regardless of what happens off the field, last year included but its not what happens on the field that makes us different.

Manly were dead, on life support and we had saviourrs, angels that kept that bank at the door( god bless them )gorillas that ran the club as best they could on a shoestring. But no matter what there were manly people there ready to keep manly alive. And you feel there always will be

Superleague ripped our heart out financially with all clubs getting reimbursed but Manly, because arko did what was right, he acted with conscience and not with dollars signs. Loyalty, integrity.

It hurt the bottom line, we lost some cattle but no one can ever take the integrity away from us in what was the biggest fight in league history, for a while we stood alone, later joined but those that had a foot in both the intergity and optus dollar camps. But it was manly that fought for honour. Many other teams showed there true colours, and there is no pride in that

And then there is max. The most selfless manly man in history, a man who risked it all for a footy team. There are other money men in the league but only those who are prepared to spend what they can afford to lose. Not max. He did what vistually no other man would do and give it all.wow, i know i couldnt do that.why we dont have a max day every year i do not know.

Then we have the penns, who are currently writing there chapter in this book. Its too early to comment on there input , i just hope its as admirable as those that fell before them.

manly has had much on field success, more than the average and much more than our ditractors believe we deserve, but manly have worked hard for success, harder than most, through more advesity than most , all the time being the punching bag of the league, with few favours, or handouts that many others have had.

Manly is my team and i couldnt be happier with what they have achieved, the on field success is just the icing on the top.

How do you know it's better, if you've never been a Panther, a Dog, or a Chook?
I do agree with the post btw :p

How do you know it's better, if you've never been a Panther, a Dog, or a Chook?
I do agree with the post btw :p

How do you know ive never been a panther, chook or dog bonesy .I always agree with my posts too

Btw ive never been a panther or a chook. Ive been called a dog once or twice though

How do you know ive never been a panther, chook or dog bonesy .I always agree with my posts too

Btw ive never been a panther or a chook. Ive been called a dog once or twice though
Depends on the breed, I'll always love a Beagle - which is why I get a little upset at the derogatory term "the Northern Beagles".
Good post BTW.

the insular peninsular, the silvertails, call us what you like but being manly is different than being a panther,a dog or a chook.its better

Sure we have had success, loyalty, internationals, prized recruits and more 200 game players than anyone i think. If not we are up there.

Manly have been consistent regardless of what happens off the field, last year included but its not what happens on the field that makes us different.

Manly were dead, on life support and we had saviourrs, angels that kept that bank at the door( god bless them )gorillas that ran the club as best they could on a shoestring. But no matter what there were manly people there ready to keep manly alive. And you feel there always will be

Superleague ripped our heart out financially with all clubs getting reimbursed but Manly, because arko did what was right, he acted with conscience and not with dollars signs. Loyalty, integrity.

It hurt the bottom line, we lost some cattle but no one can ever take the integrity away from us in what was the biggest fight in league history, for a while we stood alone, later joined but those that had a foot in both the intergity and optus dollar camps. But it was manly that fought for honour. Many other teams showed there true colours, and there is no pride in that

And then there is max. The most selfless manly man in history, a man who risked it all for a footy team. There are other money men in the league but only those who are prepared to spend what they can afford to lose. Not max. He did what vistually no other man would do and give it all.wow, i know i couldnt do that.why we dont have a max day every year i do not know.

Then we have the penns, who are currently writing there chapter in this book. Its too early to comment on there input , i just hope its as admirable as those that fell before them.

manly has had much on field success, more than the average and much more than our ditractors believe we deserve, but manly have worked hard for success, harder than most, through more advesity than most , all the time being the punching bag of the league, with few favours, or handouts that many others have had.

Manly is my team and i couldnt be happier with what they have achieved, the on field success is just the icing on the top.

James we may have had our differences over the years ( I do really hope we are past that these days??) but I have to commend you on being an eloquent bastard at times , and this is another of those !!

James we may have had our differences over the years ( I do really hope we are past that these days??) but I have to commend you on being an eloquent bastard at times , and this is another of those !!

Yeah lifes good mark. Some tough times but many good as well
My shout next we see

Liked the post jbb/james
Yes being Manly is way different we cop the jibes from other supporters they never tend to go against each other just against Manly . As they say we go for whoever is playing Manly
The club has a great History and a lot of the the stories are told in the way of don't let the truth get in the way
One i like to refer to and argue a lot about is the period of the 70's & 80's how the UnManly folk carry on about our Poaching . Those players choose to come to Manly to set themselves up Financially there current clubs didn't want to pay and actually told some of them they weren't wanted . ( Bob M'carthy wrote about it in his book thats why he went to Canterbury )
But your right being Manly is different and i would't have it any other way

The moral of the story of Manly is that those who say they truly hate us, really want to be us!! When you look at the Manly influence at 2 of our biggest rivals in Sydney, Whingings worms and dirty dogs it confirms it!
Dogs Supporter pre 2012: 'F##k Manly, Des the whinger, and everything Manly!'

Post 2011: ' Des is our God! 2 premierships baby! Welcome aboard Cleal and Egan!'

Parra Supporter pre 2014: 'F##k Manly, their coaching staff, overrated halfbacks and players.

Post 2014: 'Welcome aboard BA! Foran, Choc, Guth will lead us to two premierships baby!

Last edited:
You're right jbb/james.
Manly are different. We supporters are different too.
Manly is the thinking persons football team.
Therefore, all the others suck!:D
Go Manly!

For the record......the 200 club from each team is (note that I've ignored individual Balmain, Wests, Illawarra and St George records and only included for Wests Tigers and St Merge).

Manly Warringah - 19
Brisbane - 11
Canberra - 10
Canterbury-Bankstown - 8
Penrith - 8
Parramatta - 7
Cronulla Sutherland - 7
Newcastle - 7
South Sydney - 6
Sydney - 5
North Queensland - 5
Melbourne - 5
St George Illawarra - 4
New Zealand - 3
Wests Tigers - 3
Gold Coast - 0

It goes to show that Manly and Brisbane are the main teams people have wanted to be at, with Manly WELL out in front. The surprising ones are Souffs and the Rorters, I thought there would be more than that many to play 200 games for them.

in the days when souffs and the rorters were dominant the season was much shorter.

a 10 year player would play 150 games, now days that would be 250 games

Plus in those years the rep players would often spend 2-3 months of the season touring with the Kangaroos either on a Kangaroo Tour or to NZ. Back then (especially pre-1960's) going to England took a few weeks by boat, not just over 24 hours on a plane so touring teams would leave weeks before finals time causing players to miss games.

Last edited:
Although the Kangaroo / World Cup tours took place after the domestic season, Holden.

How are the locals reacting to news of Holden's Elizabeth plant potentially surviving beyond 2017?

Back then (especially pre-1960's) going to England took a few weeks by boat, not just over 24 hours on a plane so touring teams would leave weeks before finals time causing players to miss games.
Suez was closed more often than not, going around the Cape was about a month. Worth it for the scenery down the skeleton coast though.

Although the Kangaroo / World Cup tours took place after the domestic season, Holden.

How are the locals reacting to news of Holden's Elizabeth plant potentially surviving beyond 2017?

Actually, back in the 50's and through the 70's, World Cups were usually played mid-season. Kangaroo Tours of NZ were mid-season until the last in 1989. And When the Kangaroo tours of GB and France were on and there was only boat to travel by the team would usually leave before the end of the season.

I don't think that Holden's Elizabeth plant will survive past 2017 and if it does it won't last much longer than that.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4