1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Manly are replacing a club legend with untried rookie coach

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by BOZO, Aug 2, 2015.

1. BOZO

BOZO Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,845 / 192
  2. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,741 / 125
    In a word.....politics.

Tooves picked the wrong team (Quantum) to side with and he's paying the price unfortunately. Don't believe a word about it being for lack of results.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. robbiea

robbiea Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 63
    Why ?,that is the question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,904 / 27
    It still rips my guts apart every time I think about losing Tooves. This decision has cast a huge shadow over the club I love.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,351 / 111
    Last nights result was a huge distraction to what is the biggest issue for Manly since privatisation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. IQofalimabean

IQofalimabean Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 11
    Its a dog eat dog world. Feel bad for Toovey but if the Manly side had won the 2013 grandfinal I recon he would still have his job.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Beer buzzard

Beer buzzard Only tipsy on gamedays 2016 Tipping Competitor

Dee why
    Ratings:
    +267 / 14
    If every club had the attitude of never picking a rookie coach, we would still have coaches like Tim sheens and Brian smith around. In an ever changing game, new coaches bring in new ideas.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Red Pill

Red Pill Optimist & Troll Inquisitor

Ratings:
    +431 / 15
    Must admit I find it hard to understand why Tooves is being moved on.
    Can not imagine business people like the Penns would intentionally send the club backwards. If Bozo was screaming at the board to keep 2V he would still be there next year despite any political tit for tat.
    I truly believe there are some pragmatic reasons why Tooves was sacked though potentially misguided and simply wrong. I do not think however Bozo gets these kind of things wrong though!

9. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,904 / 27
    I'm not talking about Barrett's inexperience ! If Toovey had quite for personal reasons I'd be all for Barrett...it's the process that's pissed me off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,521 / 50
    Run by fwits.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Wombat64

Wombat64 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Church Point
    Ratings:
    +1,372 / 37
    You are being too kind to them .....

• Like Like x 4
  12. Pittwater Legend

Pittwater Legend Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +780 / 28
    I would not trade Toovey for anyone at the moment and have always felt that way.

Barrett's ability concerns me. From what I've heard, he was unimpressive with an under 20's side and is now sharing poor results as assistant coach over at the Panthers. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he is young and has scope for improvement but Bozo needs to be heavily involved with Barrett's role. I feel we should have only offered him 2 years. If that wasn't good enough for him then tough ****.

• Like Like x 1
  13. manlyfan76

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,351 / 111
    Funny thing is that this year will make Toovey as a coach. This is his graduation.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. manlywarringah

manlywarringah Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +893 / 27
    Well the penns say it's a results driven business and Tooves has had a successful 3 years. Only being robbed of a premiership in 2013 has blotted a great copy book.

Now it's Barrett who has to win a premiership within 3 years and at least make the top 4 next year, a gf and equal 1st finish to be able to hold his job.

If he doesn't, the penns and joke elly have to fall on their sword as their management and administrative performaces have been disgraceful. We are well in the red this year after Dave Perry was able to get us slightly in the black not long ago in difficult circumstances.

So i'm sure they will stand down or sack themselves as after all Scott Penn, it is a results driven business!! :banghead:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. manlyfan76

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,351 / 111
    Cartwright scares me as an assistant, up here on the gold coast ive been forced to watch him fumble through his years at the Titans.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,840 / 103
    We don't have to like the owners or what they have done to 2V, but come next season we must also give 'Epoxy' our full support as he tries to fulfil the club slogan, Stronger Together.

17. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,798 / 122
    Yes I have been thinking the same thing. The way he dealt with his sacking has won him a lot of cred (not that he lacked it before). He will finish this year as a very highly regarded NRL coach with an excellent record, and if he does decide to take up another coaching appointment in future he won't lack confidence and will probably be very successful. Which no-one here would begrudge.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. TagMonster

TagMonster Well-Known Member

Canberra
    Ratings:
    +506 / 28
    It will be an interesting situation if Manly make the top 8. We have the team to make some noise if they play to their potential. How many coaches that make the finals and don't just go out the backdoor have been sacked I wonder?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tookey

tookey Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,254 / 131
    Are the players now playing for Toovey to send him out on the best way they can or are they playing because they are happy that he is now going? Interesting question.

20. Ron E. Gibbs

Ron E. Gibbs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,437 / 12
    Understand that, but his record as an assistant coach (not a head coach) is very good, first at the Roosters and now at the Cowboys. Suggestions that he'll be there to deal with players day to day because Barrett isn't very good at man management (isn't that what a head coach does?) worry me though…