Why Manly are replacing a club legend with untried rookie coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Last nights result was a huge distraction to what is the biggest issue for Manly since privatisation.

Must admit I find it hard to understand why Tooves is being moved on.
Can not imagine business people like the Penns would intentionally send the club backwards. If Bozo was screaming at the board to keep 2V he would still be there next year despite any political tit for tat.
I truly believe there are some pragmatic reasons why Tooves was sacked though potentially misguided and simply wrong. I do not think however Bozo gets these kind of things wrong though!

If every club had the attitude of never picking a rookie coach, we would still have coaches like Tim sheens and Brian smith around. In an ever changing game, new coaches bring in new ideas.
I'm not talking about Barrett's inexperience ! If Toovey had quite for personal reasons I'd be all for Barrett...it's the process that's pissed me off.

I would not trade Toovey for anyone at the moment and have always felt that way.

Barrett's ability concerns me. From what I've heard, he was unimpressive with an under 20's side and is now sharing poor results as assistant coach over at the Panthers. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he is young and has scope for improvement but Bozo needs to be heavily involved with Barrett's role. I feel we should have only offered him 2 years. If that wasn't good enough for him then tough ****.

Well the penns say it's a results driven business and Tooves has had a successful 3 years. Only being robbed of a premiership in 2013 has blotted a great copy book.

Now it's Barrett who has to win a premiership within 3 years and at least make the top 4 next year, a gf and equal 1st finish to be able to hold his job.

If he doesn't, the penns and joke elly have to fall on their sword as their management and administrative performaces have been disgraceful. We are well in the red this year after Dave Perry was able to get us slightly in the black not long ago in difficult circumstances.

So i'm sure they will stand down or sack themselves as after all Scott Penn, it is a results driven business!! :banghead:

I would not trade Toovey for anyone at the moment and have always felt that way.

Barrett's ability concerns me. From what I've heard, he was unimpressive with an under 20's side and is now sharing poor results as assistant coach over at the Panthers. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he is young and has scope for improvement but Bozo needs to be heavily involved with Barrett's role. I feel we should have only offered him 2 years. If that wasn't good enough for him then tough ****.
Cartwright scares me as an assistant, up here on the gold coast ive been forced to watch him fumble through his years at the Titans.

We don't have to like the owners or what they have done to 2V, but come next season we must also give 'Epoxy' our full support as he tries to fulfil the club slogan, Stronger Together.

Funny thing is that this year will make Toovey as a coach. This is his graduation.
Yes I have been thinking the same thing. The way he dealt with his sacking has won him a lot of cred (not that he lacked it before). He will finish this year as a very highly regarded NRL coach with an excellent record, and if he does decide to take up another coaching appointment in future he won't lack confidence and will probably be very successful. Which no-one here would begrudge.

It will be an interesting situation if Manly make the top 8. We have the team to make some noise if they play to their potential. How many coaches that make the finals and don't just go out the backdoor have been sacked I wonder?

Are the players now playing for Toovey to send him out on the best way they can or are they playing because they are happy that he is now going? Interesting question.

Cartwright scares me as an assistant, up here on the gold coast ive been forced to watch him fumble through his years at the Titans.

Understand that, but his record as an assistant coach (not a head coach) is very good, first at the Roosters and now at the Cowboys. Suggestions that he'll be there to deal with players day to day because Barrett isn't very good at man management (isn't that what a head coach does?) worry me though…

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6