Why everyone loves to hate Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles 78

Another article ….

Why everyone loves to hate Manly

The Roar 18 Sep 2012

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/09/18/why-everyone-loves-to-hate-manly/#comments

The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles have copped a whacking from internet trolls over the past few days.

Lurking behind every bush is a feral fan of a failed footy side just itching to unload some jealousy-fuelled scorn and rage on a side that’s still running around on the training paddock and not propping up a Bali bar.

And don’t the men in maroon and white and their ‘army’ of fans provide a wide target.

On field, they play rough and tough. They really seem to hate their opponents, especially if that opponent has been receiving any sort of positive coverage in the media or, horror of horrors, they’ve been deemed to be favourites for the upcoming match.

Players like Anthony Watmough, Steve Matai, Jason King and Glenn Stewart seem to play with smouldering contempt written on their faces.

They take genuine offence at being tackled and prefer to run hard into the gaps a between defender’s outstretched arms than into the gaps between defenders, surging and trampling whatever is in their way.

In other words they love the physical stuff and they play with a cold arrogance as close to the limits of the law as they can, and often leave that limit behind.

It’s what makes them so hard to beat and easy to dislike.

Their fans are easy to think of as being a collective extension of this implacable disregard for any team or footy fan who doesn’t follow Manly.

They carry banners to games that proclaim “Everyone Hates Us But We Don’t Care”, or “We Hate You Too”, or “No, Really, We Actually Hate You, So There”.

Stirring stuff!

On the web and in conversation, they circle the wagons around their boys’ performances and reputations. This is true of fans of every club of course but no one seems to invite and cultivate the sense of us-against-the-world mentality of a Sea Eagles supporter.

Is it a hangover of the bad old days when Manly had a reputation for attempting to buy premierships by poaching the best of the west?

Is it the lingering stench of dubious on-field calls by referees in Manly’s favour during big matches? Greg Hartley is a name still cursed by Cronulla-Sutherland fans.

One would think a generational change might have blown through the competition and carried the stink of suspect refereeing away on the breeze.

Sadly the men in pink dropped their guts inside the elevator of the semi-final and as we all know, that’s just not funny.

I’m glad that Sea Eagles fans don’t care what others think because they’ve got a problem or three to grapple with regardless of their professed indifference.

Firstly, their team isn’t getting the credit it deserves for the win over the Cowboys. All anyone is talking about is the refereeing standards in general and during this match in particular.

It’s not the players’ fault of course. However, Geoff Toovey hasn’t been shy about unloading on the officials this season following losses and leading into matches.

In a hyper-critical climate, his team’s win is being solely attributed to poor decisions.

Speculating for a second, the referees might be under extra pressure not to be seen to favour Manly which is not clearly going to help their cause in Melbourne.

Secondly, a new generation of fans now has their own reason to ‘hate’ the team from the Northern Beaches.

The Cowboys have never won a title and they were high on most fans’ “If Not Your Club Then Who Would You Like To Win The Title” list.

A meal of sentimental favourites going out at the hands of a traditionally hated team with a side-order of incompetent refereeing has given the majority of NRL fans (which is all of them minus 16,000) some bad indigestion.

Lastly, the fans themselves must do something to fix this problem of refusing to attend matches that aren’t at Brookvale Oval.

Understandably, the Cowboys obviously don’t draw a big crowd in Sydney because their fans are at the extreme end of a large continent, two thousand kilometres away.

Evidently, so are Manly’s fans.

The turnout on the night was embarrassing. Credit to those who did show and cheer their team and I exempt those fans who were getting married or buried on the night.

But here’s a hint: finals matches in Sydney are home games for you guys. Cross the bridge.

“We don’t care what you think of us” a banner probably shrieks in the white-knuckled grip of a Manly supporter.

Maybe this message is really for your players.

I quite like this article. Although i don't think we got the referees favor for any other reason than last weekends team was the most disciplined Manly Sea Eagles side i've seen for a long time ant that was further highlighted by the way Thurston talks to the referees.

Simply, Yeah i think we got the rub of the green for a change because we were the more disciplined side for a change.

Who has been the most successful team of late? Manly!

Everyone hated Melbourne (and some still do) - the best team money could buy - until they lost their titles due to an overspend on the salary cap.

Everyone hated Brisbane but now they are back with the pack.

Now we all hate the dogs, not only those that live in Coffs Harbour by the way.

Ozzies love the underdog and love to take pot shots at winners- Manly isn't an underdog. The team has seen more success than any other in recent times. How many premierships have we won (too many to count). How many have other teams won? (Excluding St Georege who technically no longer exists since the merge with Illawarra.) Less than Manly! Ha Ha.

Being a Manly supporter is magical. It's when you are walking up a main street in 'enemy territory' such as Newcastle, Balmain or Brisbane and proudly showing one's colours and being starred at with dirty looks or even better stupid comments by other team's fans.

It's euphoric how that makes you feel. They comment we just laugh, because as the signs say 'everyone hates us' but who cares. Because we hate everyone else too.

On a personal note - the only time I wasn't happy was when the Northern (b)eagle days were around. No one hated us. It felt foreign. It felt strange.

So who cares what others say - GO MANLY!!!!

Hooray for Manly.

Article Written by "Some anonymous internet loser who's team has been knocked out."

Cowboys have never been on my 'if not manly then who' list.

And I love how he or she still misses the point of 'we just don't care' when it carries on about how we should do what it thinks is correct.

Love being a manly fan.. Maybe I should write a poem about it.

Why is it so hard for people to understand how hard it is to get to Moore park from the beaches on a Friday night

Daniel said:
Why is it so hard for people to understand how hard it is to get to Moore park from the beaches on a Friday night

And the NRL continue to schedule the Manly matches on the Friday night.

It's difficult for anybody (who actually works) to get to a match across the harbour (north or south) on a Friday or Monday!

I think the NRL just likes the Press throwing crap at Manly supporters. It gives more aggressive publicity and the morons on the other side of the Bridge lap it up!

And ditto this weekend.

They schedule Manly-Melbourne on a Friday, making it nigh on impossible for a good number of Manly fans to get there.

Had it been a Saturday a heap more would have been able to go, cheaper airfares (Friday is a peak day-Saturday an off peak day).

AND you'd imagine that Bullpups V Souffs would rate hugely, which is why I initially thought that we'd get Saturday and they'd get Friday.

I must admit to being more than a tad worried about "the rub of the green" this Friday...I reckon the Refs will be under such pressure to NOT award us BOD try's as we have already had (in their eyes) an advantage to move forward.

SO

We'll just have to beat them by a fair margin, and with a bunch of non controversial try's.

Can we do that....I hope so!!

eagle-rock08 said:
Being a Manly supporter is magical. It's when you are walking up a main street in 'enemy territory' such as Newcastle, Balmain or Brisbane and proudly showing one's colours and being starred at with dirty looks or even better stupid comments by other team's fans.

I was on my way to Newcastle airport last week and stopped into a few pubs on the way, i was wearing my Manly Hoodie and the looks i copped in a Hamilton pub were priceless.

Anyone would think i had an offensive shirt on.

Ho hum another boring rehash of tired old cliches about how evil we are and how good everyone else is. I just hope this dribble never ends in my lifetime it will mean we are up there doing to everyone year after year.

I love our arrogance. And it's well deserved. From the people I've spoken to it's really, 'any team but the dogs'. There again, I've not been speaking to the friendly folks marching on Sydney streets.

Briza said:
eagle-rock08 said:

I was on my way to Newcastle airport last week and stopped into a few pubs on the way, i was wearing my Manly Hoodie and the looks i copped in a Hamilton pub were priceless.

Anyone would think i had an offensive shirt on.

Don't you know those signs outside pubs that say "No Colours" also applies to Manly jumpers as well. I swear the next underbelly series will be about us.

Quite a good article, except for the bashing of travelling supporters. I was one who went to the game, but I had had second thoughts about attending. I thought the crowd was quite good, considering.
But why doesn't the NRL have a flexible policy for home finals? If it knows that there will be a crowd of less than 20,000 at the SFS then why not play it at the Sydney's team home ground? I'm not just referring to Brookie here.
Had Cronulla, Penrith, Illawarra, or Parra been playing the Cowboys then they too should be allowed to play at their home oval.
We are the targets of media attack because, against the odds, Manly is successful. We are disliked by opposition fans because of envy. It's human nature to be jealous of the best.

Television, the drug of the Nation
Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation

Mark from Brisbane said:
And ditto this weekend.

They schedule Manly-Melbourne on a Friday, making it nigh on impossible for a good number of Manly fans to get there.

Had it been a Saturday a heap more would have been able to go, cheaper airfares (Friday is a peak day-Saturday an off peak day).

AND you'd imagine that Bullpups V Souffs would rate hugely, which is why I initially thought that we'd get Saturday and they'd get Friday.

I must admit to being more than a tad worried about "the rub of the green" this Friday...I reckon the Refs will be under such pressure to NOT award us BOD try's as we have already had (in their eyes) an advantage to move forward.

SO

We'll just have to beat them by a fair margin, and with a bunch of non controversial try's.

Can we do that....I hope so!!
Either Souths or Canberra playing the Bulldogs this Friday was never going to happen Mark because of the shorter turnaround for either of the two teams, the way it is now both winners from last weekend will have a full week before their next game.
More sensible would have been to play on a Sat and Sunday, but unfortunately television dictates which day.

globaleagle said:
Hooray for Manly.

Article Written by "Some anonymous internet loser who's team has been knocked out."

Cowboys have never been on my 'if not manly then who' list.

And I love how he or she still misses the point of 'we just don't care' when it carries on about how we should do what it thinks is correct.

Love being a manly fan.. Maybe I should write a poem about it.
YEAH, great idea for a new thread; seriously. "Poem Competition" - every post would have to either be a new Poem, or a review/reply to poem in poetic form. What rhymes with 'Snake' ?

globaleagle said:
Television, the drug of the Nation
Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation
Why does Channel 9 come immediately to mind ? Everything from the morning 'Today' program to that pathetic rehashed crap "Underbelly".

Why o Why did they have to get the new TV contract ?
Money Corrupts: aint it the truth.

but i did write a poem

post #39

http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-What-gets-you-going-the-most?pid=449650#pid449650

* snake, rake, bake, masturba..., fake, great, cake, impregnate...

Ch 9....sigh....rubbish!

*this post could be a lot better, but I went to the roar website and now I feel dumber.

What the moron said about Choc,Matai,King and Gifty is actually a complement.If other teams showed what he calls arrogance(I call passion for their colours)they'd find themselves as successful as our Manly team.

Yes I'm an arrogant fan,because I've got good right to be.After all I support the best club ever and the rest can go and get ****ed

Bring It on!
[attachment=354]

The envy is apparent in the article and throughout the cliched Media.:dodgy:

Fact - We love our district Team to the exclusion of all other NRL Teams:heart:
Fact - Manly Fans enjoy a semi final annually - like a birthday:shy:
Fact - Non-Manly Teams enjoy a semi final - like a lottery win,almost never:D

Push It Up in their Face Manly - there is no second prize:D

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8