Why Even Bother?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
The f#cking AFL players can handle a 2pm start and they do a hell of a lot more running than our boys, this is a pathetic, bull**** excuse.

Grand final set for twilight zone
By Liam Fitzgibbon
December 18, 2007 THE 2008 NRL grand final will kick off at 5pm (EDT) after league officials and Channel Nine reached a new agreement.

NRL chief executive David Gallop confirmed the October 5 decider would be brought forward from its 7pm start for the first time since 2001 in a bid to appease those who felt the night-time kick-off did not suit children and interstate fans.

“We see it as a near perfect result,” Gallop said.

“Good for players in terms of the heat factor and fans at the ground and at a time when millions of television viewers will be able to watch the game.”

Changes to daylight savings next year mean the competition decider will be played on the first day they come into effect.

The 5pm kick-off also means the game will be played mostly in daylight and at 4pm (EST) Queensland time.

Gallop said that calls for the match to be restored to its traditional 3pm start were overlooked because of concerns about afternoon heat in October.

“We looked carefully at heat conditions at the time, not only for the first grade game, but for the preliminary games including the first ever Toyota Cup grand final and we felt that 5pm was a better starting time, that being 4pm in Queensland,” Gallop said.

Gallop said the decision supported the “strong community support for a daytime match” and was made in consulted to the decision, Gallop said.

The grand final kick-off time would continue to be reviewed on a year-by-year basis, the NRL said.

They could always move it back to the last weekend in September as it always was. Not very hard to do - just start a week earlier.

In the past Mata it may not have presented a problem, but with the success of the Storm it creates one.

True. And the Swans & Lions too I guess. I was in the camp that probably preferred the 7pm kick-off (purely for commercial reasons). 5pm is a pretty good choice I reckon.

I am happier with a 5.00pm kickoff. When I go the 2008 GF featuring Manly at least I won't be queuing up at 10.00 pm with 30,000 trying to get a bus home. Last time I got home around 11.30pm.

I reckon a 2pm - 3pm would be sweet. The BBQ's usually ready to eat then. The Beers are generally at their coolest as well !!

The gear generally comes off at 4pm-

Night Grand Finals have really upset my nudity regime !
DAMN THEM !!!

Yep I agree Rhino (except for the Nudity part).

My mate has an AFL BBQ every year, we rock around about midday, fire up the BBQ and hit the beers, then its all over at 5-6ish and you have time to head home and settle in for the night.

I understand about the commercial side of things so Im not that upset about it, but I dont really see the point of moving it to 5pm. For mine it should have stayed at 7pm or gone right back to 3pm.

I dont think I will need to worry next year though, as sadly I dont think the Eagles will make the Grand Final.

My mate has an AFL BBQ every year, we rock around about midday, fire up the BBQ and hit the beers, then its all over at 5-6ish and you have time to head home and settle in for the night.

Give this man, and the guy who hosts this event, a cigar !
Was I the only one jealous at not being able to attend this event after reading this?

That's awesome douggie boy.

We'll have to catch up for a beer with Dan and co. soon mate. PJ should come as well.

And careful Doug, leanne is coming and she might beat you up again :)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4