Why do you like the Manly Sea Eagles?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake&TurboTomofBrookie

Reserve Grader
I once posted a thread with this as the subject but I can't remember if it was on Manly's website when it had a forum for Manly fans to post on or here on the Silvertails website forum. Anyway, Why do you like the Manly Sea Eagles?

My answer to this question is :huh:
I don't think I'll ever really know the answer. :(

I've been a Manly fan since I was, maybe, two. I recently started to think about what it could've possibly have been about them, but I still can't find the answer.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
Being born in the 70s and growing up in the 80s there were 3 teams, Dogs, Eels and Manly. No-one in my family supported them (father and brother were Roosters fans), I just supported them. I think more than anything Manly have always been winners, which certainly doesn't hurt when it comes to supporting a team!!

Another big part for me has always been the fighting spirit of the Sea Eagles. Yes we may lose games, but like a lot of commentators will say, you know what you are going to get with Manly....a tough non compromising game. The difference between our best (a 10) and worst (maybe 6 or 7) isn't much compared to a team like the Tigers (best being 10 and worst being minus a million).

In 1970, when I was a kid in country NSW, my uncle gave me some footy cards.
All were posed head shots of the Brylcream boys, except one, an action shot of
Bob Fulton-Manly Seaeagles. I didn't know where Manly was, but that was my favourite card & consequently my team.

Loved coming across to Manly when I first moved to Sydney, so when I discovered that there was a game named Rugby League in the World, in 1976, I chose Manly Warringah.

They confirmed my choice as winners, by beating the Dogs on my Birthday in the Semis that year :)

Compounded it by becoming 1976 Premiers:):)

Went to my first Brookie game in 1977 - Round 1 was Souths, and the bonding was complete:angel:

Manly have always had the grunt and the glitz. So its easy to continue the love affair and delight in the anticipation of vanquishing the Pretenders in these past four decades:D

Now in 2013, cheering Manly on to attain 2v's inaugural Premiership as a Coach is a delight.

Having watched the Kiddie come through the Grades and into Coaching, the circle of League Life will be complete :angel:

BTW, I hope that the ARLC bring back the 3 Grades again, as watching a Player's talent unfold, is such a privilege.:exclamation:

Manly or the Great Void:exclamation:

voicefromthehill said:
Born Manly Hospital
Grew up Harbord Rd
Primary School - Harbord (same school and generation as the great Beaver)
High School - Freshwater
Junior Club - Harbord

Not sure how it happened really

Ha. Nice. Similar story.
Born Manly hospital.
Grew up on Primrose Ave, Frenchs Forest.
Used to create havoc at the old Arndale shopping centre.
Went to Frenchs Forest primary & played junior footy there.

voicefromthehill said:
Grew up Harbord Rd
Grew up in Evans Street
Was a Freshwater Nipper then a surfer
Went to St Johns Primary - Catholic Dad. Funny thing was our Principal was constantly warning us that we would be expelled if we got up to mischief with the Harbord Public kids. Lol.
Went to first Manly match age 7. Ran on the field after the match. That was it for me. It's been in the blood since then.

Dad is a big Manly fan and named me after the great Graham Eadie, although he didn't know how he spelt it so my name is spelt Graeme. So I was always going to be a Manly boy. I got a bit despondent watching us lose GF's to Parramatta in the early 80's, so briefly switched to Cronulla. I soon switched back when I realised losing a GF was better than losing every game :D

Born: Manly hospital, delivered by Dr Higham

Grew up on Parr Avenue, Nth Curl Curl

All of my family are Manly tragics :)

Wombat was one of my dad's best mates

Terry Randall was my first footy coach (N grade for Nth Curly in 1979!!)

Some of my best childhood memories are going to Brooky with the family in the late 70's/early 80's

Manly forever. Simple :)

Its all Les Hannigan's fault. those f__ing 5 tries (and Bozo setting them up). : 19 May 1967. vs the newly formed Sharks . . . .

For years my favourite players were Derek Moritz, John McDonald, Dennis Ward, Bill Hamilton, Mick Veivers, Freddie Jones.

Bob Batty was constantly injured, then suddenly there was this giant teenager: Graham Eadie. In the school playground you either wanted to be Bozo or Wombat.

My story is a long and interesting one (like my johnson) and best told to y'all as a group.

Probably when I get to go to my next Manly game.

And have had a drinky or two.

But it's legen........wait for it.......

dary!

voicefromthehill said:
Born Manly Hospital
Grew up Harbord Rd
High School - Freshwater
Junior Club - Harbord

Not sure how it happened really

Born Manly Hospital
- Grew up Bennett Street
- Harbord Primary School
- St Pauls College
- Cromer High

Funny we lived so close and share such a heritage :)

Growing up in Northern NSW have no geographical tie to Manly but 1st game of League I ever watched in about 1974 Manly beat ST George so have followed them ever since.

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4