Why did you become a Manly supporter

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Born in the UK, moved to Australia to get away from the planet's most boring football code. Went to Brookie oval, got absolutely hooked. Bought an Eagles shirt, wore it to the 96, 08, 11 Grand Finals. Going to ANZ on Friday, just can't wait. Go Manly!

As a kid in the middle of 1972 my best mate told me that Manly were the best team to follow. I swore my allegiance and was rewarded in 1972 and many times since.

Born in Redfern moved to Adelaide came back to Redfern brushed off the family and there South fan fare followed Parra due to Ray Price, he retired saw Dessie play was hooked from there on, from Des to Toovs, Roberts, Cliffy, Hoppa, Gartner, Kosef, Menzies, Ridge, Williams, Hill champion after champion after champion!

I was born in Manly Hospital and was immediately diagnosed with blood type MW. (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagle supporter right from the get go.)

:)

My father, to this day his nickname is the first name of our arguably best English import due to a similar surname we share with him, ours is spelt and pronounced correctly, i've seen his spelling with the same pronunciation as ours so tarts a little strange in my book

It's a pity really Barrack O doesn't realize there's only two types of supporters

1) Manly supporters

2) And those that wish they were!!!!!

Daniel said:
mosto said:
My dad is a Manly supporter and named me after Graham Eadie. There was never going to be any other choice :D

Eadie is a weird first name

But seriously, it's not really a choice, the idea of "choosing" a football team is foreign to me. I have tried to follow other sports where I choose a team and I just can't be passionate about it the same as I am with Manly.

I of course grew up in Harbord/Curl Curl. had friends who supported other teams but they mostly moved there from elsewhere.

My father chose Manly when he moved out here from the UK. My brother had heard a bit about league at school, though my dad grew up a Chelsea supporter, he started taking my elder brother to the games and he always likes to tell me about sitting there in the rain one day watching Manly play Newtown at brookie, and thinking what an amazing game it was and how tough the blokes were, he was hooked and a Manly man from then on. He has been in Australia since 74, and Sydney since about 78 and says that he is far more passionate about Manly winning and Rugby League than he ever was about Chelsea or football.

That kind of enthusiasm tends to wear off on the people around you too
My Dads sister was called Edie ( pronounced Eadie). I came out here from Ireland in 1969 and all my mates followed Manly so I started going along to Brookie with them. Been a fan ever since.

Was a Bulldogs supporter when I was a very young kid (Les Johns was brilliant) but after watching a blond haired youngster named Bobby Fulton rip teams apart and the likes of Wombat , Randall and Martin in the early seventies I was hooked , living at Blacktown I took a lot of flack but hated Parramatta and Penrith so it was easy following Mighty Manly.

Born in Manly Hospital 1982, Mum and her side of the family all Manly supporters, Dad's family was all Bears. Mum got to decide who I'd support, and because they found a Sea Eagles jersey on the way home from the hospital, her decision was made. She kept this jersey tucked away and I wore it proudly during my childhood, along with the many other jerseys I'd receive as birthday gifts (a new Sea Eagles jersey was always at the top of the list every year)

Moondog said:
Daniel said:
mosto said:
My dad is a Manly supporter and named me after Graham Eadie. There was never going to be any other choice :D

Eadie is a weird first name

But seriously, it's not really a choice, the idea of "choosing" a football team is foreign to me. I have tried to follow other sports where I choose a team and I just can't be passionate about it the same as I am with Manly.

I of course grew up in Harbord/Curl Curl. had friends who supported other teams but they mostly moved there from elsewhere.

My father chose Manly when he moved out here from the UK. My brother had heard a bit about league at school, though my dad grew up a Chelsea supporter, he started taking my elder brother to the games and he always likes to tell me about sitting there in the rain one day watching Manly play Newtown at brookie, and thinking what an amazing game it was and how tough the blokes were, he was hooked and a Manly man from then on. He has been in Australia since 74, and Sydney since about 78 and says that he is far more passionate about Manly winning and Rugby League than he ever was about Chelsea or football.

That kind of enthusiasm tends to wear off on the people around you too
My Dads sister was called Edie ( pronounced Eadie). I came out here from Ireland in 1969 and all my mates followed Manly so I started going along to Brookie with them. Been a fan ever since.

Irish? Now i understand your sense of humor!

niccipops said:
... grew up on the hill at Brookie. Something happens to you on that hill and it stays with you for life.

I'm tipping that you don't mean the grass stains!

I had sex with Pamela Anderson on the hill once. That experience left me with something for life.

Lived & grew up several hours away from Sydney, even now live a couple of hours away..

My cousins whom we visited many times etc. lived in a northern Sydney suburb for many years, thier teams were the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles and the Essendon Bombers and we used to play-act we were in those teams when kicking the ball around the park etc.

I liked both the Maroon & White and Black & Red colours of thier jerseys as well, and as such chose them as my own teams around 1977.

Don't really like nor follow AFL much though still like & hope the Bombers go well, but really like Rugby League & the Sea Eagles.

Wombat Eadie was one of my fav players years ago, as well as of course Beaver Menzies and now other stars of ours.

Go Manly Warringah!

I think the best part of following any team is sticking with them through the good times and the bad . In the case of Manly there has been many good times and a few bad , good thing about your posts is just how long some of you have supported them and can still remember the reason for it . Well done

1968 when I first came to Sydney to boarding school and was told I had to support a League team. Not knowing any of the teams, I was shown all the Scanlans bubble gum cards one of the guys had and told I had to nominate a team. We used to come down to Newport from the farm on holidays and occasionally go to Manly to see a movie and as Manly was the only area I knew, that was it and has been so since.

Funny thing is in 1983, one of the roles in the job I had, at age 25, was to be host at our corporate box at Belmore, so I had to attend every game the Bulldogs played at home. I became friends with a few Bulldogs players during that time, as quite a few worked for the company I worked for and we had a lot of fun at parties, trips away etc. They used to constantly laugh and joke about the fact that I supported Manly and yet had to watch the Bulldogs.

rmd said:
1968 when I first came to Sydney to boarding school and was told I had to support a League team. Not knowing any of the teams, I was shown all the Scanlans bubble gum cards one of the guys had and told I had to nominate a team. We used to come down to Newport from the farm on holidays and occasionally go to Manly to see a movie and as Manly was the only area I knew, that was it and has been so since.

Funny thing is in 1983, one of the roles in the job I had, at age 25, was to be host at our corporate box at Belmore, so I had to attend every game the Bulldogs played at home. I became friends with a few Bulldogs players during that time, as quite a few worked for the company I worked for and we had a lot of fun at parties, trips away etc. They used to constantly laugh and joke about the fact that I supported Manly and yet had to watch the Bulldogs.

Good story , what a job wow

The Who said:
niccipops said:
... grew up on the hill at Brookie. Something happens to you on that hill and it stays with you for life.

I'm tipping that you don't mean the grass stains!

Dad always bought a blanket with us but sliding down the back of the hill on cardboard after the game did result in a few grass stains back in the day.

Clint said:
I was born in Manly hospital. The end.

i went to a south sydney school and everytime souths would win they would play the souths theme song at asmembly i would not stand up during the song, so i got in trouble next week i decided to go for the side everyone hated brought a jersry and while they played the song took my jacket off with my new jersry on. best detention i ever did!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4