Why did you become a Manly supporter

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
mosto said:
My dad is a Manly supporter and named me after Graham Eadie. There was never going to be any other choice :D

Eadie is a weird first name

But seriously, it's not really a choice, the idea of "choosing" a football team is foreign to me. I have tried to follow other sports where I choose a team and I just can't be passionate about it the same as I am with Manly.

I of course grew up in Harbord/Curl Curl. had friends who supported other teams but they mostly moved there from elsewhere.

My father chose Manly when he moved out here from the UK. My brother had heard a bit about league at school, though my dad grew up a Chelsea supporter, he started taking my elder brother to the games and he always likes to tell me about sitting there in the rain one day watching Manly play Newtown at brookie, and thinking what an amazing game it was and how tough the blokes were, he was hooked and a Manly man from then on. He has been in Australia since 74, and Sydney since about 78 and says that he is far more passionate about Manly winning and Rugby League than he ever was about Chelsea or football.

That kind of enthusiasm tends to wear off on the people around you too

First game I ever saw live as a kid , Manly played Newtown at Henson Park . The Mighty Sea Eagles won that day , and I have stuck solid ever since.

I am forever grateful that they won that day .

Even more grateful that they didn't play the dogs and got beat that day , the thought sends a horrible chill down my spine !!!

1967:
My elder brother and i, (aged 10 and 8) used to sneak into the then "oval" shaped Brookvale Oval for free at half time. On May 19, (MWSE V Sharks) the first match i went to, Les Hannigan scores FIVE tries and Manly win 39 - 5. Still the club record.
It was magic to a small boy . . . from 1967 until today, l've probably been to the Fortress 500 times. I was 'hooked'.

Being a Manly supporter is a life long commitment, but no kind of burden.

Fri Night; MWSE by 12 !

EagleFromMay1967 said:
1967:
My elder brother and i, (aged 10 and 8) used to sneak into the then "oval" shaped Brookvale Oval for free at half time. On May 19, (MWSE V Sharks) the first match i went to, Les Hannigan scores FIVE tries and Manly win 39 - 5. Still the club record.
It was magic to a small boy . . . from 1967 until today, l've probably been to the Fortress 500 times. I was 'hooked'.

Being a Manly supporter is a life long commitment, but no kind of burden.

Fri Night; MWSE by 12 !

I was born that month and year , the fifith

dceagle said:
First game I ever saw live as a kid , Manly played Newtown at Henson Park . The Mighty Sea Eagles won that day , and I have stuck solid ever since.

I am forever grateful that they won that day .

Even more grateful that they didn't play the dogs and got beat that day , the thought sends a horrible chill down my spine !!!

It could have been worse if Newtown won lol

Started of as a norths supporter, then northen eagles and have been a manly fan since cos of the merger..i still get crap only when we win the comp from my mates theyll just say crap bot being a norths fan 1st haha..

I didn't have to choose it was in my blood when I was born fond memories of my dad taking me to brooky to watch the likes of bob batty, Kenny Irvine and the likes.

For me was the 1974 footy cards. Something about the really deep rich maroon coloured jerseys especially Graham Eadie & Bob Fulton.

I think the back of the 1974 cards had something to do with it as well. They were each part of a giant photo of the 1973 grand final. We all thought we could see scraps of bandages with blood on them!

I think those 1970s grand final wins really broadened the popularity of the club far and wide.

barrack o barba said:
A former North Sydney supporter , wow , wonder how many jumped over to Manly after the Northern Eagles folded ?

Ryan...?

Yeah most hate us & blame us for their demise. Hating them back works ;)

Yeah haha was either them or the warriors(cos im from NZ) wen manly took over the license, but chose manly cos obviously of the merger and their players i started suporting like toovey, beaver, kosef, reeves etc that joined up wif my fav norths players back then...was well worth it cos their were some bad seasons in there, before the good times started to come from 2005 onwards.lol...

barrack o barba said:
Sumdumguy said:
Because a Sea Eagle is an awesome looking bird of prey whereas a Bulldog is an ugly mutt

Agree with you about the eagle the bird but disagree bout a bulldog , many owners will disagree as well , bout 5k a pup now

Maybe it’s because a Sea Eagle can soar high above the rest, take a dump all over a bulldog without stopping, hit the bulldog square in the eye with its dump, where as a bulldog has to stop and squat to take a dump, then the bulldog will sniff its own dump and Finally a bulldog will eat its own dump and then when its owner gets home will allow the bulldog to lick its face.

Well there is only one team to support and that is and always will be the mighty Sea Eagles.

You can all thank my sister for me supporting the Sea Eagles. Back in the days of Black and White TV she would go to Pratten Park and watch Manly play Wests, she had the hots for one Bobby Fulton back then LOL so naturally the love of Manly was passed on to me.

All my (2) sisters children (3 Nephews) support Manly, they and their fathers had no choice in the matter as their Sea Eagle jumper was purchased even before they were born :)

Back in 95 my younger brother started watching ARL games on the tv and he was all about the Raiders and how awesome they were, Well One time I sat down to watch a game with him with Manly playing them .Manly Beat them raiders and I had found my passion. I am from NZ and went to my first game vs Warriors round 1 this year. I havnt missed a manly game on TV for 4 years . One of my main things for next year is to finaly experiance Brookvale oval. Was supposed to go this year but the mrs got pregnant. Ahh well :D

OneEyedEagle said:
Maybe it’s because a Sea Eagle can soar high above the rest, take a dump all over a bulldog without stopping, hit the bulldog square in the eye with its dump, where as a bulldog has to stop and squat to take a dump, then the bulldog will sniff its own dump and Finally a bulldog will eat its own dump and then when its owner gets home will allow the bulldog to lick its face.
This bloke thinks he is David Attenborough

Why wouldn't anyone want to be a Manly supporter. We are the Ultimate club.

As for me, been on the beaches for 38 years. Manly Warringah Sea Eagles is in the blood.

bones said:
Manly were playing against the Bulldogs and so John Hopoate was playing against Hazem El Masri. I went with the better player, person and role model.

:lol:

Because i didn't want to hate myself. It would've been a bit awkward for me to support anyone else.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7