1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did you become a Manly supporter

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by barrack o barba, Sep 5, 2012.

1. barrack o barba

barrack o barba Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    If you didn't come from the Northern Beaches of Sydney what one thing or moment made you an Eagle ?

One of my brothers is a lifelong Sea Eagle and I guess the 1970s success was his reason .

2. voicefromthehill

voicefromthehill Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,235 / 9
    I was on the road to Damascus when this blinding light shine before me, and a voice as if from heaven said Paul, Paul why are you persecuting me. And you can't argue with God now can you

3. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,846 / 103
    Because I grew up in Manly and my father (who was a Norths supporter) took me to Brookie from the age of 7-8. In those days Manly struggled. But even then there was something about the men in maroon and white that made me want to follow them.
    It is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I am so proud of supporting a team that always gives we fans a commited effort.

4. barrack o barba

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    LOL ......Let us pray

5. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 46
    We don't "become", we are born.

6. Av8r

Av8r Active Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +154 / 10
    Because a Sea Eagle is an awesome looking bird of prey whereas a Bulldog is an ugly mutt

7. captainskin

captainskin Active Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    I lived on the lower north shore. One day in 1974 while in year 4 at Greenwich primary school other kids were yelling out their favourite football team. THe episode turned into a 'booing' and 'yahing' match depending on what team was yelled out. I had no idea about any team or Rugby League for that fact, but when I heard (what I deemed) the coolest kid in year 5 proudly proclaim 'MANLY', I jumped on board and yelled back, 'MANLY'. My younger brother opted for the roosters a few shouts before so that option was easily covered for me. Norths were going through a typical bad patch, and so from that day forward the Sea Eagles became my team.

8. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 46
    LOL...Let us prey.

9. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,246 / 7
    If you have to ask you wont get it anyway.

In comparison, all other NRL teams are just a group of souless, robotic mercenaries.

10. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    Manly are **** hot, I'm **** hot, and all the other teams eat arse, which is probably the attraction for their supporters

11. barrack o barba

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Agree with you about the eagle the bird but disagree bout a bulldog , many owners will disagree as well , bout 5k a pup now

12. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    First game I ever watched on tele (black & white) Manly beat St George early to mid 70's , I stuck with the winners.

13. torana355

torana355 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,491 / 27
    My Grandad grew up on the Northern Beaches and is a massive supporter. He used to take me to games on the hill when i was just a little boy, nuff said.

14. Shaka1eye

Shaka1eye Active Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +91 / 11
    Grew up in Northern NSW and started following them in the 70's mainly because my older brother did but I'm sure our success back then didn't hurt. Really loved watching Phil Blake and in 3rd class at school I wrote him a letter asking him about his legendary chip and chases. To my surprise and delight I received a letter back from him shortly after with a heap of stickers and a booklet on the history of the Manly club and that gesture sold me for life (still have the letter btw).

15. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

NSW
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 47
    I own an American Bulldog. Most of the time i just want to kick her in the guts.
    [hr]
    5K. That's bull****

16. Hamster Huey

Hamster Huey Space Invader Premium Member

Ratings:
    +990 / 7
    I decided to as a kid, to upset my Dad after he trashed my toy train set. He supports Canterbury.

17. barrack o barba

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I saw an Aussie Bulldog the other day and was told it was $2,500 a pup and double for a British Bulldog , will stand corrected

18. stoodamire

stoodamire Active Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    1995 GF. Sea Eagles v Dogs.

I lived in the St George area and everyone at school went for the Dogs. So to be different i went for the Eagles. (Paid off next year).

Hated the Dogs ever since.

19. Mals

Mals Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Pennant Hills
    Ratings:
    +1,480 / 35
    Spent my younger years in Forestville. My Dad is a Manly supporter, my older bro is a Manly supporter & my school mates were Manly supporters. I knew a good thing when it was staring me in the face! :D

After years of watching your team play at Belmore how does it feel playing home games at the soulless Homebush stadium??

20. lloydy

lloydy Active Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0
    I was born into a Manly family and never looked back! I grew up in Berowra and all my mates went for Norths..poor fellas.