1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did we miss out on Boyd?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Crushercleal, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Crushercleal

Crushercleal Active Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm really disappointed we missed out on Les Boyd's son, Grant. The papers are reporting Manly and Canberra tried for him, but he eventually settled on Western Suburbs PL. Is this an indication that our recruiting strategies and junior setup system are not up to scratch? Does anyone have any further info on this matter?

2. andrew

andrew Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I read that article this morning with an empty feeling.That is a shame he turned Manly down and went to West's.I would say it would have alot to do with Joe Cool being the coach.His long friendship with Les would have swayed youngz Grant's choice.Is Les still a part time coach with Manly??Or did they let him go and keep Blocker who we all know where he wants his boys to play.

3. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,766 / 72
    Les has nothing to do with Manly, it was only ever mentioned he could become involved but never did.

Actually Manly has never had a good record of sons of former players making an impact so it maybe better for both the young bloke and Manly he stays away.

4. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    Maybe he had mates there. Or Manly was to far away from the country for him.

Is Les Boyd still an avid Manly follower anyhow?

5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,116 / 287
    Yes - our recruiting strategies are weaker. It all stems from like I have said previously:-

01. A lack of success for almost a decade;
    02. A lack of schoolboy competition in our area;
    03. Administrative issues (club not returning calls etc)

The biggest new players in Inglis, Pearce etc sign with other clubs.

I think it's more about luck with Manly. We might get one or two roses amonsgt the thorns.

That's predominantly not Manly's fault though. It's more about demographic, and Crusher, Des & co. can't be blamed for 8 atroucious years.

6. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    Wheel sums it up well.

7. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Not returning calls is something that could be improved.

8. The Fonz

The Fonz Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe the kid wanted a chance to play for the reigning premiers. Who really gives a **** anyway. The Kid hasn't even played premier league yet. He's probably crap.

9. Snoz76

Snoz76 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    it wasn't the first year he had trialled with wests - so not as if he is a new sensation - watching him play for the local side he goes well and like les said with the right coaching he can play 1st grade. he is explosive like his old man but doesn't have that mean streak like his dad

10. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    So he hasn't broken a jaw yet :)

11. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    pretty much what I think.

12. clontaago

clontaago Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 1
    We cant pick up everyone FFS.

13. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,116 / 287
    Not returning calls is something that could be improved.

[/quote]

We are talking The Eagles here. They have better things to do than that !! :lie:

14. The answer

The answer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One of my work mates is from cootamundra and knows him, she said hes not much of a player, he tries to be like his father but hes only ever made rep sides because of Les.

We dodged a bullet there, "scott fulton 2" :dance:

15. Stuey Davis Socks

Stuey Davis Socks Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +179 / 3
    Obviously a slow news day at the Telegraph.

16. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,625 / 132
    we missed out on some outher former players son too recently - he went to AFL - what is manly coming to

17. kiwigirl

kiwigirl Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Instead of looking at what we missed out on, why not look at what we've got. I think we have done pretty good in the recruiting area. Like Clontaago said ... we can't buy everyone! Maybe the one's we didn't get weren't good enough or fit into the clubs long term plans. Maybe we just don't have the funds. Maybe they should have returned phone calls. But they got it right with Orford, Bell, and a few others, so maybe all is not lost.

18. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,116 / 287
    It's a shame their both 2-4 years from retirement though Kiwigirl. It'd be nice to snare a 17 - 18 year old superstar:-

Sonny Bill, Benji Marshall, Inglis, Pearce, Tim Smith all etc etc come to mind.

19. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +507 / 20
    kiwi girl is right, did anyone see sg ball this year, this years flegg will be a gun side, we have meaney, cuthbertson, groom, noxi, berryman, kiwi girls brooke, plenty of talent in juniors, just wait and see

20. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    we might have a couple running around in SG Ball or Flegg next year, who knows!!!!