why did they shut down the Manly site forum?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
vidmar link said:
I’ve taken steps to understand why the forum was closed (ie I called and asked!)

Several reasons…

Pretty much every member of the club and senior administration (owners, CEO, coach, media manager and several players) has been significantly abused and derided over the last 12 months (You don’t need a deer stalker hat and a magnifying glass to understand why there wouldn’t be much support for the forum at a senior level) – often some of these posts were just downright disrespectful but in some cases posts were potentially legal issues – this is not about freedom of speech but rather why would you want to support a channel that allows people to constantly snipe and portray you in a bad light with no recourse whilst also creating potential for legal nightmares?

Loose lips sink ships – at least one poster was getting “inside info” and posting it directly on to the site (Something that Dessie (who as we know likes to keep things very close to his chest) was furious about)

Legal advice was taken about the forum, the risks posed to the club and action was taken

The lack of a full time resource to monitor and moderate the forum was an issue

It was felt that benefits provided compared with the possible impact to the club were not worthwhile.

Anything posted on the site that was not removed was seen as effectively sanctioned by the club – they couldn’t win, if they removed posts they were accused of excessive censorship and if they left posts up they were open to problems elsewhere – if they banned people for inappropriate posts then they were seen as heavy handed?

I don’t agree with how and when the site was taken down but I do understand some of the issued faced in providing the forum and why it subsequently has been closed– something alluded to by Dan in his posts above.

We have this site so effectively still have a forum to visit and post on which is great

Good post.  I fully support them closing the forum.  I work for a company that has a large membership base and there is no way we would let our members come on criticise aspects of the company, its managers and decisions that we make.  There is an appropriate channel and a forum is not it.  However I can also see why some are upset about it closing and when and how it was done.  At the end of the day when the pros and cons are weighed up the correct decision was made.  

Loose lips sink ships – at least one poster was getting “inside info” and posting it directly on to the site (Something that Dessie (who as we know likes to keep things very close to his chest) was furious about)

that was me & i was letting yous all know whats happening with our team ..  what is that a crime talking about the team  we all like & support to other ppl who like & support the team also..???????????????.. like i said mate this aint korea or china we can say what we want have any opinions we want..  the club doesnt fukn own us just because i paid them money....  whats their next step im down at the club near where i live & i cant discuss my team around the table..because they wont like it ...wtf..

Happy to hear "inside" information here.

jjai link said:

that was me & i was letting yous all know whats happening with our team ..   what is that a crime talking about the team  we all like & support to other ppl who like & support the team also..???????????????.. like i said mate this aint korea or china we can say what we want have any opinions we want..  the club doesnt fukn own us just because i paid them money....  whats their next step im down at the club near where i live & i cant discuss my team around the table..because they wont like it ...wtf..

Dessie was on big sky breakfast this morning and made mention that Matt Elliott would be looking to see the make up of our team and would be basing their game plan on that.

With the comp as close as it is at the top of the table then anything…anything…. that gives our opposition an edge is counter productive.

Des knows this, our coaching staff and players know this as does any professional sports person – hence aspects such as closed training camps, media black outs etc etc.

Chatting at the club is a massive difference from the world wide web....

12 months ago on that forum the question of member benefits was raised in relation to out of town members.

And it was Admin who replied and said that very forum was one such benefit, very smug about it too.

It was them who allowed only members to post then view. And it was them whose membership brochure lists the Forum as a benefit.

So you see they cant have it both ways.

That's why people are agitated, they were happy to reap the rewards without putting any effort in, and when Aaron went it all became too hard.

Personally I like this forum a whole lot more.

jjai link said:

that was me & i was letting yous all know whats happening with our team ..  what is that a crime talking about the team  we all like & support to other ppl who like & support the team also..???????????????.. like i said mate this aint korea or china we can say what we want have any opinions we want..  the club doesnt fukn own us just because i paid them money....  whats their next step im down at the club near where i live & i cant discuss my team around the table..because they wont like it ...wtf..

Thats almost unbelivable.

WAMF link said:
Vid, that makes perfect sense and I have no issue with those reasons.
Now if only the club would have been able to communicate exactly what you have managed to do, they would have saved plenty of face.

Cheers,

G'day WAMF...Not often I'm accused of making sense...lol

Kiss to the missus from me and let me know when you are heading over East?

I guess the internet is a more powerful tool to get the word out than sitting at the pub with mates.  I can understand why they would not want certain things broadcast on the internet if they wanted it kept internal.  

So they all should just shut up about what is going on and there would be no leaks, but some in the organisation just cant do that, they dont use the members they just use the media.
And please, I dont beleive Mathew Elliott would look at the forum and base his tactics/selections around what was said on it

bob dylan link said:
[quote author=jjai link=topic=183738.msg269315#msg269315 date=1277442594]

Thats almost unbelivable.
[/quote],,,
whats unbelievable about it...

Their attitude.

Imagine not wanting stuff put on the internet.

Unbelievable.

;D  ;D  ;D

Frogz link said:
So they all should just shut up about what is going on and there would be no leaks, but some in the organisation just cant do that, they dont use the members they just use the media.
And please, I dont beleive Mathew Elliott would look at the forum and base his tactics/selections around what was said on it

Missed the point here Frogz...I know for a fact that when one of our current players was seen talking to one of our senior people prior to him joining us it was spotted by a person who then posted it on a forum - it nearly de-railed the recruitment process.

A family member of a player having a yarn with a mate who then posts stuff on a forum is not an ideal situation and can lead to speculation or get stuff out there that the club may not want widely known.

If I knew a player was carrying a bit of a niggle or having problems at home or anything else that could impact on us negatively then I wouldn't want to let the opposition know for a whole pile of reasons?

Although it would have been more friendly of them to remove the forum at seasons end after some forewarning, I guess with all of the headaches that it was causing them that they just decided to execute their right to utilise paragraph 23 in the Terms & Conditions that you would have agreed to when you took out your membership just to end their problem.  Paragraph 23 states:

23. Membership Benefits - The Sea Eagles reserve the right to add, change or delete benefits from any membership category offered in the 2010 season without prior warning.

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/membership.asp#TnC

jjai link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=183738.msg269338#msg269338 date=1277444502]
Your complete post jjai.  You're the dribbler.  Go tug your other.
..  awww blahhhhhhh..  
[/quote]
How is Barry these days Jjai...lol

Jethro link said:
Although it would have been more friendly of them to remove the forum at seasons end after some forewarning, I guess with all of the headaches that it was causing them that they just decided to execute their right to utilise paragraph 23 in the Terms & Conditions that you would have agreed to when you took out your membership just to end their problem.  Paragraph 23 states:

23. Membership Benefits - The Sea Eagles reserve the right to add, change or delete benefits from any membership category offered in the 2010 season without prior warning.

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/membership.asp#TnC
and judging by many reactions, their decision to exercise that clause will cost them members.
Imagine if they decided to remove access to your season ticket....lol

That's the word I was thinking of WAMF but couldn't remember when I was writing up my post: "Clause"

I reckon the whole thing reeks of preciousness and internal paranoia.
its a total fear based decision.
poor things - so some players and other officials may have got bagged on the forum.
big deal.
they have to get over themselves.
the Manly Sea Eagles play rugby league, remember?
its meant to be a tough game.
so toughen up.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7