1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did I think he would get off

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Melbourne's Adam Blair found not guilty of grapple tackle; cleared to face Manly

September 09, 2009

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26050060-5018866,00.html

Melbourne Storm's finals hopes have been boosted after prop Adam Blair was found not guilty of a grade one dangerous contact charge at the NRL judiciary.

The New Zealand Test star was in danger of missing Friday's finals clash with Manly after being hit with the charge on Monday.

The incident took place during the Storm's 30-0 victory over the Warriors on Saturday when Blair tackled Warriors skipper Micheal Luck.

However, Blair's barrister Geoff Bellew argued successfully that the incident was accidental.

The three man judiciary panel of Mark Coyne, Don McKinnon and Sean Garlick took just five minutes to deliver their verdict at the NRL's head office in Sydney.

The decision is a huge relief for Melbourne, who have already lost front-rowers Matt Cross and Sika Manu to injury.

“We are very pleased, but we were very confident coming into the hearing and received a fair hearing,'' said Storm's Football manager Frank Ponissi.

“Now we can put all of our attention to Friday's game against Manly.''

AAP

2. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,767 / 72
    what a ****ing joke

3. nezo

nezo Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL how can you argue a grapple tackle as accidental?

4. eggson

eggson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +239 / 2
    Bellew hardly loses his cases, i should've seen this one coming

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    Accidental?  So intent needs to be proven?  Like the judiciary members need to be experts in reading minds, and can't give punishment for grapples (as distinct from head highs etc) without claiming to be mind readers?  

On the one hand we have Gallop preempting and usurping courts of law with verdicts and extended knee-jerk punishments before any fair hearing or defence is allowed.  On the other we have tribunals unable to make reasonable decisions on actions and consequences - i.e. on matters of fact.

Farcical. What else would we expect from a game run by a disgraced media organisation?

6. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,468 / 74
    The way I see it is this is Brett lawyer. Short term loss for us long term gain. He is obviously a good wig wearer this bellow the bear

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    I'm sure the players would rather beat the team on the field than the one that 1000 angels and saints say should be there.

8. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    They're all part of the News Ltd/NRL club so what hope.  Rex is correct, we'll beat them on the field.

9. Ian Martin tragic

Ian Martin tragic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0
    If there's such a thing as an accidental grapple, then they need reckless and careless categories and maybe even gradings.

10. Ron E. Gibbs

Ron E. Gibbs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,438 / 12
    Watching the Storm/Warriors game I was surprised to see the Storm back to their old grappling ways. Every tackle had something in it - a hold here, a shove there - and the two refs did nothing about it. Like all NRL "crack downs", this one seems to have been forgotten.

11. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,802 / 122
    Maybe they will crack down tomorrow and someone will get sent.

12. clontaago

clontaago Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 1
    Blair is ****e. Rather have him there.

13. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Bend Lima's thumb back in every tackle.