Whose Manlys greatest coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
From the time I can remember (1987 - age 6 - onwards):
1. Des
2. A little bit of daylight
3. Bozo
4. 100 cement trucks full of daylight
5. Thomson
6. Lowe
7. Sharp

Sharp still gets the nod as the worst for mine but I don't think it is as clear cut as most people do.

As bad as Sharp was, the roster he had was woeful compared to some of the great rosters Des and Bozo have had and it was a difficult time in the club's history when he was there.

Lowe had far more opportunities, no excuses and should have done much better than he did.

Cambo said:
eagleE said:
robbiea said:
Hasler best
Sharp worst.

Cant disagree with you, but I cannot split Lowe and Sharp.
Maybe we should have given then a low sharp blow to both of them.

can you tell me how you justify putting lowe and sharp in the same catergory.

Sharp never made the finals in all his years coaching both manly and the Northern eagles.

Under low we finished 4th 2 years in a row and failed to make the finals in 92. He also brought players to manly who would play a role in the success we had in the mid 90s

ridge and roberts for example.

Lowe had some genuine legends in his teams Lyons, Hasler, O'Connor, Toovey, Hancock, Bella, Kevin and Tony Iro, Roberts, Gartner, Kosef, Shelford to only name a few. Failed to make the finals in considered a failure with the calibre of players available. He could not cut in in the Winfield Cup. Sure he did well in the UK, but when he was with Manly he spent half his time in hospital. He did buy some quality players with him, but did we have any titles to show for it. No. He was just as crappy as a CEO as he was a coach. Glad he is gone and hope he does not come back to Brooky.
Sharp was just as crap. But he did not have the same quality players. We sat around the bottom when he coached. We had just gone through massive monetary problems. We had this relationship with Norths that sucked. I don't think he was much worse for us than Lowe. Glad he is gone and hope he does not come back to Brooky.

That is how I justify Lowe and Sharp in the same catergory.

eagleE said:
Cambo said:
eagleE said:
robbiea said:
Hasler best
Sharp worst.

Sharp never made the finals in all his years coaching both manly and the Northern eagles.

Under low we finished 4th 2 years in a row and failed to make the finals in 92. He also brought players to manly who would play a role in the success we had in the mid 90s

Lowe had some genuine legends in his teams Lyons, Hasler, O'Connor, Toovey, Hancock, Bella, Kevin and Tony Iro, Roberts, Gartner, Kosef, Shelford to only name a few. Failed to make the finals in considered a failure with the calibre of players available. He could not cut in in the Winfield Cup. Sure he did well in the UK, but when he was with Manly he spent half his time in hospital. He did buy some quality players with him, but did we have any titles to show for it. No. He was just as crappy as a CEO as he was a coach. Glad he is gone and hope he does not come back to Brooky.
Sharp was just as crap. But he did not have the same quality players. We sat around the bottom when he coached. We had just gone through massive monetary problems. We had this relationship with Norths that sucked. I don't think he was much worse for us than Lowe. Glad he is gone and hope he does not come back to Brooky.

How the hell can you say Lowe was a bad CEO after everything that happened before and after he left this club? He brought stability and that was what he was hired to do. He also got us a major sponsor in Kaspersky. I will hear none of the anti-(CEO)Lowe BS in this thread because it is a load of crap.

Inhindsight I gotta agree i don't think lowie had the business acumen required but he sure did a great job of managing all share holders and keeping the place harmonious.
Lowe stays I wonder if zorba gets punted and if hasler stays.
Also kaspersky signing was his doing.

Jono said:
How the hell can you say Lowe was a bad CEO after everything that happened before and after he left this club? He brought stability and that was what he was hired to do. He also got us a major sponsor in Kaspersky. I will hear none of the anti-(CEO)Lowe BS in this thread because it is a load of crap.

This thread is about coaching.

Berkely_Eagle, how can you make a judgement on your five. The first four won two premierships each, but all had differing squads and differing time frames to get it together. How come you rate Wiley fourth? when he won our first GF, then went back to back, and he had murderous opposition. He coached the team to three minor premierships, 71, 72 and 73. No other coach has done that. Fulton had two bites at the cherry and more money to play with. And Des has had eight years to get his two. Stanton can have some recognition for getting two GFs in fairly quick succession, but no one beats Wiley for the supreme coaching skill of two in a row, especially during those hard fought years. That five metre rule was deadly. Just look at the battering that those guys took each game. Anyway I think these sort of topics are just dumb, considering the changes in the game.

Cambo said:
Disagree about sharp he had the best of two strong clubs and couldn't even get the retention right.

Sharp was a dud no doubt, but in fairness to him I believe the NRL put some pretty strong rules in place about retention. The success of the merged dragons team got the other clubs worried about what we would achieve and as a result (to make it fair) we weren't allowed to keep the best of both squads and were fairly limited to how it could be put together. Thankfully they did put those restraints on us, because we might still be the Northern Eagles if they didn't.

eagleE said:
Cambo said:
eagleE said:
robbiea said:
Hasler best
Sharp worst.

Lowe did make the finals. In 1990 we finished 4th, winning week 1 of the finals before losing to the Broncos in week 2. In 1991 we finished 2nd before losing both finals, from memory injury hit us as the wrong time. We finished 8th in 1992, but not good enough to make the top 5 finals series. For the record Lowe coached 70 games winning 40, a success rate of 57%. Compare that to Sharps record of never getting to a finals and 46 wins from 124 games at 37%. Lowe achieved respectable results with his on going health problems as well. Sharp is easily our worst ever coach. Lets not forget at the time some of the garbage which came from Sharps mouth about the cultural problem which had fested under Bozo, how he tried his best to ruin Cliffys career despite him still cutting the mustard. He got all his wraps by being the junior coach of the Johns brothers but has been an abject failure in all his other coaching appointments.

Whoever wins the next GF for Manly is my vote:D

Bozo had a chance to get the triple crown but could not co-ordinate the strongest Team I believe we have ever had 1995-1997.

Des leaving means he can match Willey's two consecutive GFs at most.

May Tooves be the first to get the Trifecta, and then some :D

I think dessie is hard to beat.

Especially in the condition the club was in when he took over and re building everything.

The players he paid overs for to get here were masterfully selected. Including BK, Kite, Orford and then blooding a new rookies DCE & hoppa.

byso said:
I think dessie is hard to beat.

Especially in the condition the club was in when he took over and re building everything.

The players he paid overs for to get here were masterfully selected. Including BK, Kite, Orford and then blooding a new rookies DCE & hoppa.

What about the pickups like Robbo, Ballin Wolfman and even Mick Monaghan.

Dont forget the contributions of other big name signings like Josh Perry and Steve Bell.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4