Who's the best?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagles2win

Bencher
Watching the 76 grand final at the moment it has me wondering who is the best team that ever played in Manly colours?

70s won four Premierships.

80's won more games (bar the ones that mattered) than both Canterbury and Parramatta

90's more specifically the mid nineties defensively the best team ever

Present Day has to worry about salary caps etc and still has managed to win 2 Premierships and hopefully more

Often we get caught up trying to pick the best team and we start grouping seasons together or start comparing decades.

For me the 1973 team could be a favourite. Played the season like Premiers
and played some great 70's footy.

I think your last point answers your question. When money was no object certain clubs could assemble incredible teams.

I've only seen the 90s thru til now

I doubt anything could ever top 2008 for me

The 1st Manly side to win the comp after coming back from the dead, and the absolute dominance in that finals series puts them a step ahead for me.

That's before adding in the other parts about who it was we beat and Menzies try etc. Also have a bit more of a personal connection with that one as well

They all did it under different circumstances. Can't judge against each other and I'm just happy we can enjoy four distinct periods of success over the last four decades, unlike any other club that's been around during that time.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
eagles2win said:
80's won more games (bar the ones that mattered) than both Canterbury and Parramatta
Thanks eagles2win. I had never heard that stat. I like it :)

Maybe not the best side but 1978 - 5 sudden death games in 17 days.
Will never forget it. And all after we lost Bob Fulton after 1976.

Jimmy Jazz said:

I remember that too Jimmy.

A teenage kid pacing nervously around the house with the radio up against my ear listening to Frank Hyde.

But I always thought the team of the mid 90's who won in 96 and should have won in 95 and 97 was the most dominant.

Very, very hard call. 1978 has a story written in toughness. 1972 because they stamped the beginning of the Manly dynasties. Personally two stand out - 1987 when we were so easily the best, despite the tough semi against the Chooks; and 2008 when the scoreline was so sensational, the Beaver try and the long wait and heartbreak from the year before. The game has changed over the decades but 2008, despite some poor results leading into the Finals, has such a strong influence on every Manly supporter must be in the running, but I'd go with '87 because of how dominant we were over the season. But I won't argue too hard about any other opinion.

For this feat alone the 1978 Manly side will go down as one of the greatest in RL history. Phenomenal performance. True guts and determination, nothing but admiration for what those guys achieved.

For those of us old enough I don't think anything can top 1978. Shear guts and determination against all odds. Players basically limping onto the field to play and finally a sensational shutout in the replay. Closely, ever so closely followed by 2008.

simon64 said:
Jimmy Jazz said:

I remember that too Jimmy.

A teenage kid pacing nervously around the house with the radio up against my ear listening to Frank Hyde.

But I always thought the team of the mid 90's who won in 96 and should have won in 95 and 97 was the most dominant.

Great memories as a teenage kid sitting in the Sheridan Stand with the Manly faithful during the 1978 finals series.
The 95/96/97 sides had arguably the best coach/captain combination in Manly history - Fulton/Toovey.

Definitely '96. What a team. And Matty Ridge! Even with Snake and Wombat he is my favourite fullback.

Its the 08 side for me, they just dominated all opposition in the finals when it mattered and beat an all star Melbourne side that was way over the cap.

Jimmy Jazz said:

Chip and Chase said:

For this feat alone the 1978 Manly side will go down as one of the greatest in RL history. Phenomenal performance. True guts and determination, nothing but admiration for what those guys achieved.

There have been no bad ones thats for sure-
But you had to be there for the 5 straight games in 78-sitting in the Sheridan stand singing the songs-it was just unbelievable how we kept on going and the manly fans just kept making noise
I can remember making the train trip as a 13 year old from wolongong on the old rattlers decked out in full colours on the way up full of expectation- then the train trip home-no voice-and a little bit happy from the royal reserve port that we could buy at central station for the trip home-
Go manly

stoodamire said:
MWSE said:
Definitely '96. What a team. And Matty Ridge! Even with Snake and Wombat he is my favourite fullback.

My favourite Manly player EVER.

He was was the main reason i started following Manly after his defection from the All Blacks in 1990. Being a Kiwi without a team and only slight interest in the Winfield Cup i starting taking a keen interest in Manly after his change and having a few other Kiwi's and Lowe as a coach helped make me a fan of team. Beaver now is my fav all time player but Ridge will always be near the top of the list.

So the 1996 team is the team for me but 2008 not too far behind. 2008 is very special for been able to make up from the year before and for me to be able to go the GF's makes them special in a different way from 1996.

95-97 team for me. So dominant over that period. Should have won at least two, if not, all 3 GF's in this time. 1 from 3 is not a true reflection of how dominant this team was.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4