Who's faster

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Shoe1 said:
roscoe said:
I can remember seeing Shearer chase from the the hill side to grandstand side of the ground and catch Brett Kenny after he took an intercept on the grandstand side on his 22, mighty impressive show of pace. I think at times he only went as fast as he had to.

Sure it wasn't Michael Blake? I remember it

No positive it was Shearer, burnt into the memory. I think John Gibbs and Rick Chilsom had Blakey covered for pure speed, but his stepping was as good as you would see.
Remember John Macdonald scoring a long range try at the SCG. Souths kicked into our ingoal with a couple of mimutes to play and it passed to Fulton who scooted down the sideline and passed back in at about the 22, once Cracker got into stride nobody would catch him. From memory he was and state or national 200mtrs champ. I also think we had to win that game to make the semi's, was amazing to be there.

Snakes speed is impressive, but I think his biggest asset, and most elusive his is change of pace.

Renee Gartner is doing some nice commentary work in the junior games too.

Does anyone know if there's a Manly connection with Renee?

Just curious.

The gartners were originally a doggie family, from memory Frogseye's dad and uncle played at belmore.

Frog's dad became a long time manly official and frogs became a seaeagle.

Alan said:
Snakes speed is impressive, but I think his biggest asset, and most elusive his is change of pace.
That is what I notice, Snake and Hayne look like someone pulls the field behind them from under their feet.

They literally materialize at progressive points.
Its the freakiest thing, and when you press the FFW button, it looks like frames are missing.
That Black Caviar did the same thing in the equine world.

Rate of acceleration should diminish, but for these three phenomena, it increases the further they run :)

Renee is Garts' daughter.

Snake would still be the quickest at the club over any distance. He doesn't compete in the 40m sprints at pre-season training.

BJ is quick over 40m from a standing start, running in a straight line, but rugby league speed is very different. Under "forward" fatigue (or turning to chase), you would prefer to have most of the outside backs or halves creeping up in support, than BJ for example. A good example of this is the Tigers game when Farrah put a grubber kick through and clearly beat BJ for pace in grounding the ball. I have a feeling a player like Killer would have stopped that try had he been in the same position as BJ.

roscoe said:
Shoe1 said:
roscoe said:
I can remember seeing Shearer chase from the the hill side to grandstand side of the ground and catch Brett Kenny after he took an intercept on the grandstand side on his 22, mighty impressive show of pace. I think at times he only went as fast as he had to.

No positive it was Shearer, burnt into the memory. I think John Gibbs and Rick Chilsom had Blakey covered for pure speed, but his stepping was as good as you would see.
Remember John Macdonald scoring a long range try at the SCG. Souths kicked into our ingoal with a couple of mimutes to play and it passed to Fulton who scooted down the sideline and passed back in at about the 22, once Cracker got into stride nobody would catch him. From memory he was and state or national 200mtrs champ. I also think we had to win that game to make the semi's, was amazing to be there.
You may well be right roscoe, but I'm on the case. I think it was round 19 1982 and we won by a fair bit. I will check some newspaper reports and get back to you.

HappilyManly said:
Alan said:
That is what I notice, Snake and Hayne look like someone pulls the field behind them from under their feet.

They literally materialize at progressive points.
Its the freakiest thing, and when you press the FFW button, it looks like frames are missing.
That Black Caviar did the same thing in the equine world.

Rate of acceleration should diminish, but for these three phenomena, it increases the further they run :)

Renee is Garts' daughter.

Thanks again. I knew there'd be some connection. Renee's very competent for Fox and is pretty easy on the eye to boot.

I do remember that Dogs connection that Alan speaks of - fortunately Garts' saw the light and came to the seaside.

And I agree with all on '' football speed '' being quite different to straight up and down sprinting.

While it would be interesting to see these guys in a 100m showdown, footy smarts, timing and changes of pace are all crucial factors in beating a man, or out- running someone.

Snake may have lost a yard or two... He makes up for that so much with his mind and timing!

The fastest sprinters over 50 Mtrs + for Manly are (IMO):
1. KEN IRVINE no one quicker over almost any distance
2. Les Hannigan. Shaded by Irvine, but only just
3. Dale Shearer. At his peak would just pip:
4. Brett Stewart @ peak but always had more 'anticipation' than the above 3
5. Kerry Boustead especially over 40-50 Mtrs
6. A tie between Gartner, Gibbs, Phil Blake, & maybe Simon Booth who could really go in clear space

Shoe1 said:
roscoe said:
Shoe1 said:
roscoe said:

You may well be right roscoe, but I'm on the case. I think it was round 19 1982 and we won by a fair bit. I will check some newspaper reports and get back to you.
If it was 1982, then it could not have been Shearer, he came down from Queensland in 1985.

Shoe1 said:
roscoe said:
It was Blakey. Great memories :)

www.rugbyleagueproject.org

Shoe1 said:
Phil Blake had some electrifying acceleration.

Also Johnny Gibbs - especially over the 1st 20 or 30 yards - he would generally burn off a couple of would-be tacklers then coast to the tryline.

Paul Shaw was in a similar mould, but my main memories of him are carving up reserve grade teams. Highly entertaining.

Shearer is hard to quantify because he would mainly coast along going just fast enough for the situation. So frustrating when ambling back lazily to cover kicks, but then he'd pop up at full tilt on the end of a pass.[/align]

Saw Paul Shaw in a Fox Classic game just today from '87.
It's a pity he didn't quite reach his potential coz he was electric.

Played against some of the Shaw clan in juniors in Wellington, Dubbo and Orange in the early 80's. They were all good footballers, could hold their hands up and were good kids. And fast...especially Willie Shaw. He was like lightning off the mark, or once in space.

Watching that game theres's wonderful memories, tho it seems like light years ago. And really the only thing faster than the changing game and all the players we're talking about, is time...

Where do the damn years go...?

Phil Blake was quick over 40-50, but after that he ran out of puff. Watch the YouTube highlights of the 1982 KB Cup Final. He got into the clear and was gone....but he couldn't sustain it and ended up getting ankle tapped and passed to his brother for a try.

Hate to say it but that video also show's how quick John Ribot was.

Carrying a football and dressed in full playing gear Johnny Bliss was once timed at 9.9 over 100 yards. That would have actually won him the Olympic Gold Medal in 1948 (from what I read he ran that time in 1947). Remember back in the 40's players wore heavy boots so to run 9.9 is motoring.

But of all the Manly players I have seen in the past 32 years, there has been no better sight than to see Snake or the Beaver into open space and striding out. Beaver's 70m try against the Kiwis in the 1995 World Cup Semi-final was a thing of beauty. Matthew Ridge couldn't get near him.

The Eagle Has Landed said:
Delroy Berryman would have to be the quickest Manly player I've seen he can really motor

It's a shame he's been MIA for a few weeks now.

I keep hearing how quick he is...I just hope he's not this years' Chee Kam. Mythically good but always injured.

HappilyManly said:
Shoe1 said:
roscoe said:
It was Blakey. Great memories :)

www.rugbyleagueproject.org

Yep that's the game I am thinking of on there. We won 31 14 with a few big names out. Now I need to track down an article that describes the chase. Thanks happily. Roscoe could be remembering shearer doing a similar thing, but I am quite sure Michael Blake chased Kenny down after an intercept in this match. I was an obsessed 13 year old sitting on the northern hill.

Can't find vision of the Michael Blake chase, but I added a link in the Videos Thread to many old games.

1982 KB Cup is one :)
http://player.mashpedia.com/player.php?q=OmX7BCB8zqw

Would love to see a GF day match race between the code's fastest, this year's winner of the Stallwell Gift, and Ussain Bolt. Reckon Ussie would be up for it - he's a quirky sort of guy with a sense of humour . . .

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6