1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who'd be a ref?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Boozo, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Boozo

Boozo Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    We've all heard the old joke about having a 21st and if no one shows up you're fit to be a referee. But seriously, do you have what it takes to referee and would you want to do it?

Count me out. I'm too thin skinned to cop the inevitable abuse and I know that I would have difficulty keeping my bias (subconscious or intentional) out of the equation. I enjoy Manly victories too much and hold too many grudges against many other clubs.

I do though, like to entertain a scenario in my mind where I get to referee a Storm game and ping them for every dummy-half forward pass, every leg pull, ankle twist, knees on the calf, chicken wing, choker hold and every other grubby tactic in their arsenal. Oh, and I'd find a way to disallow any of those lucky dip tries off kicks. They're not worth 6 points. Just once.

2. Boozo

Boozo Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    We've all heard the old joke about having a 21st and if no one shows up you're fit to be a referee. But seriously, do you have what it takes to referee and would you want to do it?

Count me out. I'm too thin skinned to cop the inevitable abuse and I know that I would have difficulty keeping my bias (subconscious or intentional) out of the equation. I enjoy Manly victories too much and hold too many grudges against many other clubs.

I do though, like to entertain a scenario in my mind where I get to referee a Storm game and ping them for every dummy-half forward pass, every leg pull, ankle twist, knees on the calf, chicken wing, choker hold and every other grubby tactic in their arsenal. Oh, and I'd find a way to disallow any of those lucky dip tries off kicks. They're not worth 6 points. Just once.

3. simon64

simon64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,085 / 27
    I did the course to be a junior referee about 25 years ago.

I could've been an NRL referee by now (OK maybe not).

But I'm glad I'm not. I've got few enough friends as it is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. simon64

simon64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,085 / 27
    I did the course to be a junior referee about 25 years ago.

I could've been an NRL referee by now (OK maybe not).

But I'm glad I'm not. I've got few enough friends as it is.

5. StuBoot

StuBoot Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +796 / 7
    Sounds like you're over qualified.

6. StuBoot

StuBoot Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +796 / 7
    Sounds like you're over qualified.

7. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 15
    LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 15
    LOL.

9. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    I'd do it for sure! I love refereeing and am qualified in soccer and Oz Tag have been toying with the idea of doing rugby league refereeing too.

You get dick heads in all games but as long as you treat the players with respect and show that you are having fun and are interested in the game then most players will respect your decisions whether they are always correct or not

10. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    I'd do it for sure! I love refereeing and am qualified in soccer and Oz Tag have been toying with the idea of doing rugby league refereeing too.

You get dick heads in all games but as long as you treat the players with respect and show that you are having fun and are interested in the game then most players will respect your decisions whether they are always correct or not

11. mmmdl

mmmdl Active Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 2
    Me too, about 20 years ago.

One of the biggest knobs that was refereeing at the same time as I was is now an NRL linesman - Luke Potter. Was a knob at school, as a junior ref, and nothing much seems to have changed now.

12. mmmdl

mmmdl Active Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 2
    Me too, about 20 years ago.

One of the biggest knobs that was refereeing at the same time as I was is now an NRL linesman - Luke Potter. Was a knob at school, as a junior ref, and nothing much seems to have changed now.

13. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    Pretty easy 100K a year.

All you have to do is get paid to stay fit, do a few technical sessions throughout the week and work half a day on most weekend for 7 months.

Your boss will back you no matter what you do, see this at my work and they are the complacent ones as well.

14. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    Pretty easy 100K a year.

All you have to do is get paid to stay fit, do a few technical sessions throughout the week and work half a day on most weekend for 7 months.

Your boss will back you no matter what you do, see this at my work and they are the complacent ones as well.