Who was it ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
MadMarcus link said:
Apparently Magnay works in the UK now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquelin_Magnay

She'll fit right in with their rep for gutter journalism.

Isn't wikipedia able to be edited by anyone?  Someone should put in examples of her fine journalism, and 100% accurate reports

My email to Media Watch (they have an army of researchers so they can do the hack work):

Are you intending to analyse the media coverage of the Brett Stewart incidents back in 2009 in comparison with what was actually revealed in court?  For 18 months Stewart has been referred to as "disgraced footballer Brett Stewart" when the only disgrace was the lack of truth in the initial media hysteria after the accusations surfaced.

Some reports had Stewart had tackling the girl.  Other reports (Magnay in the SMH in particular) had neighbours taking video footage of the "rape" and Stewart being found uncontrollably drunk with his penis out.  All of these are at complete odd with the accounts of the night given in court.  Where is the accountability for journalists publishing such errant crap?

The NRL should also come under fire.  They suspended Stewart and fined Manly $100,000 because he supposedly left the club function drunk.  Again police witnesses at the Stewart trial suggest he was in control and courteous.  The NRL has no ongoing justification for the suspension (admittedly already served) and the fine.  This too should be of interest to Media Watch because it seems the NRL were more intent on a knee jerk reaction to hysterical media coverage than on uncovering the truth of what happened.

It seems to me that Media Watch could not find a better example of the unjustified crucifixion of a person in the court of public and media opinion than what happened with Brett Stewart.  If Media Watch won't call them to account, who will?

Well said Mata...and I reckon the correct way to approach this.

It's just a bit sad that if they do it, it will be watched NOT by the masses but by the intellectual few.

It's doubtful the hacks at Today Tonight or A Current Affair would take it on, but that's where the prime time viewers are.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Well said Mata...and I reckon the correct way to approach this.

It's just a bit sad that if they do it, it will be watched NOT by the masses but by the intellectual few.

It's doubtful the hacks at Today Tonight or A Current Affair would take it on, but that's where the prime time viewers are.
  Change the opinions of the opinion makers and they'll take the unwashed herd with them.

MissKate link said:
And who was it that bagged the Eagles Angels for the support they showed Brett, I thought that was pretty low at the time

Is this the one?
http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/03/13/manly-eagles-angels-have-been-useful-idiots/

"Mr Double Demerits":
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25173151-23214,00.html

I'm seriously contemplating collecting all these sort of stories from the past 18 months and putting them all on the one website, just to ensure no one forgets who said what. 

Make that three now.

I just read this - looks like I'm not the only one who thought MW was a good idea!  http://www.silvertails.net/forums/index.php?topic=185561.0

Good, the more the merrier.  A good way to pique their interest.  The MM summary is great as it does their work for them.  I was too lazy.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who knows nothing about football of any sorts and the misguided information she had on the Stewart case was all the b/s reported by the above mentioned reporters.
This lady who is a mother of a teenage daughter doesn't believe in his innocence because he's a footy player.
Brett Stewart now has to live with people who know nothing about him or even the sport of rugby league will hear his name and associate it with crime.

Brett's a champion and I hope he can recover from all this.

Right Nicci - we are in the minority who both like Brett and are prepared to accept the evidence presented at the court hearing as the fact of the matter of what actually happened.

And we are the minority who are appalled by the crook biased reporting - most people won't know about it and won't care.

Much of the mud thrown at Brett Stewart will unfortunately stick in one way or another because people who are either not Manly fans or have no interest in rugby league (ie the majority) would have already made up their minds long ago based on the unfactual media reports and by the actions of the NRL to suspend him.

Nice work blokes to assemble and send the info to Media Watch - lets hope they are interested.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6