Who should we buy for next year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

TagMonster

Reserve Grader
Sign nobody outside the club yet. There is nobody worth it on the market yet. I suggest signing internal. Lets go the opposite to what got us here. Sign our young guns to front loaded contracts to delay cap space to future years when players worthwhile are available. If we did this I would see our top 25 team like this:

1. B. Stewart
2. T. Trbojevic
3. S. Matai
4. C. Gutherson
5. J. Taufua
6. P Hiku
7. J. Lyon
8. J. Trbojevic
9. M. Ballin
10. L. Burgess
11. F. Mateo
12. D. Lui
13. J. Buhrer

14. B. Lawrence
15. J. Starling
16. J. Sene-Lefao
17. L. Sao

18. S. Vave
19. B. Leary
20. J. Horo
21. T. Symonds
22. J. Hodges
23. T. Satini
24. M. Rudolph
25. J. Littlejohn

Thoughts? Still seems like a pretty good side to me. Only issue is we are light on in the forwards size wise.

Not entirely sure if this suggestion is serious but it will never happen, Joe Kelly and the Penns would be skinned alive if Choc, Gifty, DCE and Foran are allowed to leave and in there place we sign.... no-one.

At a minimum we need a proper half, and a top class front rower. Ideally we sign a class half, a young upcoming half, and 2 quality forwards.

true, we have 2 million to spend, so put jamie lyon at halfback and hiku at five eighth and dont upgrade our pack, sounds great
Haha

Yeah I don't like those halves. Hiku yeah maybe, he is trouble attacking the line with his footwork but we'd need a decent half who can kick in play.

We have 2 mil to spend yes. But nobody worthwhile. Spend it on current player front loaded contracts to postpone the cap room. This way we keep our youth but have flexibility for the future.

Sign Elgey give him kicking duties killer at 6 Taufua at 3,sign Takairangi for second row, T.Burgess at prop and if we have money left over go for jimmy Maloney put him at 6 and Lyon back to centres
Hear were in talks with hodgko, he would be a good addition but not ideal
Also go for Joey Leilua in 2017

Killer is the best centre in the world. Why would we weaken that position?

Hiku on the other hand could be a very good 5/8.

Does anyone know if his kicking game is any good? If he played junior rugby as a outside back in NZ chances are he's kicked a little before.

Not entirely sure if this suggestion is serious but it will never happen, Joe Kelly and the Penns would be skinned alive if Choc, Gifty, DCE and Foran are allowed to leave and in there place we sign.... no-one.

At a minimum we need a proper half, and a top class front rower. Ideally we sign a class half, a young upcoming half, and 2 quality forwards.

I agree, we need a big young forward to pair with Jake. If ones available, sign them. We also need a young half. If ones available, sign them. What I'm suggesting is don't force a signing and pay too much for a player because we need one. Don't recruit for need alone, recruit when value and need meet.

Also, I hope we give this administration time. We aren't a basket case like Canberra, Parra or Cronulla who sack people if they don't achieve immediate success.

Killer is the best centre in the world. Why would we weaken that position?

Hiku on the other hand could be a very good 5/8.

Does anyone know if his kicking game is any good? If he played junior rugby as a outside back in NZ chances are he's kicked a little before.

I really like Hiku at 5/8. I think he could be brilliant given time. Pair him with a ball playing half if available and we would be set.

Killer is brilliant in the centres. I would just love to see Gutherson given an opportunity there and Matai can't play anywhere else.

I
Sign nobody outside the club yet. There is nobody worth it on the market yet. I suggest signing internal. Lets go the opposite to what got us here. Sign our young guns to front loaded contracts to delay cap space to future years when players worthwhile are available. If we did this I would see our top 25 team like this:

1. B. Stewart
2. T. Trbojevic
3. S. Matai
4. C. Gutherson
5. J. Taufua
6. P Hiku
7. J. Lyon
8. J. Trbojevic
9. M. Ballin
10. L. Burgess
11. F. Mateo
12. D. Lui
13. J. Buhrer

14. B. Lawrence
15. J. Starling
16. J. Sene-Lefao
17. L. Sao

18. S. Vave
19. B. Leary
20. J. Horo
21. T. Symonds
22. J. Hodges
23. T. Satini
24. M. Rudolph
25. J. Littlejohn

Thoughts? Still seems like a pretty good side to me. Only issue is we are light on in the forwards size wise.
I don't mind your thinking tagmonster. I definitely think we shouldn't get into any panic buying. Elgey keeps getting mentioned but is he that much better than our reserves or 20s? There are 30 other u/20s halves out there. Which is the next Dce? He didn't shine as bright as some as a youngen' remember.

Drinkwater is out there somewhere, he suffered from being rushed into 1st grade at the dud saints. Joey lussick may be worth revisiting. The trick is not to panic.

I

I don't mind your thinking tagmonster. I definitely think we shouldn't get into any panic buying. Elgey keeps getting mentioned but is he that much better than our reserves or 20s? There are 30 other u/20s halves out there. Which is the next Dce? He didn't shine as bright as some as a youngen' remember.

Drinkwater is out there somewhere, he suffered from being rushed into 1st grade at the dud saints. Joey lussick may be worth revisiting. The trick is not to panic.

Exactly my point. We can't panic. For mine there aren't many players available that can turn us into a top 4 team overnight. Maybe S. Burgess if we can convince him. I'm not against T. Carney either at the right price. If we play out cards right with contract management we can make a play for someone worthwhile in the future. Plus we blood our youth and develop their potential.

I think Gutherson could play 5/8. He has a decent short kicking game and solid drop out. Plus he's a decent attacking runner. If he can direct play would make a solid 5/8 option.

I

I was thinking about Drinkwater now and did a search. Your post came up. I remember he was getting really good wraps from the Silvertails community but we conceded that he was behind DCE in the pecking order. As bad luck would have it for Josh, DCE played every minute of every game in 2011 and we never got to see him. He was also 18 at the time so I doubt that Des would have selected him anyway in the event that DCE was unavailable.

Like you say, he moved to the Dragons and his career didn't progress. By the time DCE moves on, Josh will have 1 year left on his current contract with the Tigers. It wouldn't hurt to enquire whether the Tigers would release him early so that we could put him in first grade right away. He is still only 22 and is hungry to crack the big time.

Y
I was thinking about Drinkwater now and did a search. Your post came up. I remember he was getting really good wraps from the Silvertails community but we conceded that he was behind DCE in the pecking order. As bad luck would have it for Josh, DCE played every minute of every game in 2011 and we never got to see him. He was also 18 at the time so I doubt that Des would have selected him anyway in the event that DCE was unavailable.

Like you say, he moved to the Dragons and his career didn't progress. By the time DCE moves on, Josh will have 1 year left on his current contract with the Tigers. It wouldn't hurt to enquire whether the Tigers would release him early so that we could put him in first grade right away. He is still only 22 and is hungry to crack the big time.[/QUOTE
Yep, sounds good..... Would be worth while taking a look at him, give him to joey and who knows we could end up with another DCE.

I was reading french league forum, there speculating a 500000 euro transfer fee for carney. They are kidding right they won't get that.

would prefer gutho on the wing and wouldnt mind seeing hiku at five eighth, he has the running game and ball skills but not the kicking game, and yes lyon is one of the best centres in the world but hes lost his pace, seeing him in the number 6 next season would be good as he has the skills and leadership, paired with a kicking halfback tho. If anyone is the 'next dce' its elgey or jayden nikorima, if lyon is at 6 putting taufua in the centres would be great i reckon hed be a very solid centre

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4